HAIR DRAMA: skipping workouts to avoid daily shampoos...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Did any of y'all see the whole "conversation" (read: controversy) during the fall when the current Surgeon General made a plea to women to start worrying more about their health than their hair? I think it started as an African-American hair conversation but then it became clear that it's an every-woman problem. It was in the Times and on NPR and other places: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/surgeon-general-calls-for-health-over-hair/

thanks for linking the article, good read & nice to hear it's not just me with this issue! :)
  • ColletteNicole
    Options
    I don't blowdry or use any styling products, and my long hair is still soft and shiny. The idea of skipping a workout to avoid shampooing seems so absurd I can't really wrap my mind around it.

I would probably think the same thing if I were lucky enough to have hair that looked good just air drying w/o product, but that's just not the case, You are lucky!
  • ColletteNicole
    Options
    OMGoodness hun! I know the feeling. I am african american and hate getting my hair wet period. IT'S CALLED A WIG OR HAIR PIECE!!!! FOR REAL. I used to skip working out just because I did not want to sweat my hair back.. Oh heck no, and I'm not embarrassed to say it. I braided that mess up and threw on a wig and that's a she wrote. I can't get perms like most girls so I do what I have to do. I still shampoo my real hair, and it is almost down to my rear end, from not putting any heat on it. JUST KEEPING IT REAL. Not going to let anything keep me from working out!

LOL! I actually love this idea, I just think it's too hot for wigs in the summer! ;) I have thought about getting some clip-on bangs made to match to wear with my hair up on the no-shampoo days though!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I don't blowdry or use any styling products, and my long hair is still soft and shiny. The idea of skipping a workout to avoid shampooing seems so absurd I can't really wrap my mind around it.

I would probably think the same thing if I were lucky enough to have hair that looked good just air drying w/o product, but that's just not the case, You are lucky!

i'll be honest. you might need to shift your expectations a bit on what does and doesnt look good. it's ok to not look your absolute best 100% of the time if on the day you do need to look your best you do
  • kabbit42
    kabbit42 Posts: 85
    Options
    I feel your pain. If I wash my hair every day it gets really dry and awful. I try and cycle my workouts so one day I workout at night and the next in the morning so I can kind of stack my hair washing. I still rinse off after my night workouts but no shampoo.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    ditto! I shower after my workouts but it's a quick in and out with either my hair in a towel or up in a clip;)
    I just go with sweaty hair. If I smell a little, then my coworkers avoid me and I get more work done.:laugh:
    I do have the breakage problem that some others mentioned. I'm trying an Aveda Invati system. It's expensive. I like it.

One thing that does work for me, if I have to go to a meeting is the beach hairstyle. I rinse and use conditioner than I use a curl style product and scrunch my hair from about 2 inches from my scalp down, then let air dry. It's not flawless but it looks okay.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    try this - it's a great products and will protect your hair during frequent washings. please don't let washing your hair be an excuse for not exercising - because that is ridiculous.

http://store.devachansalon.com/Detail.bok?no=29
  • balancejenn
    balancejenn Posts: 234
    Options
    bump
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    this makes me laugh! i am so jealous you have the time to work out every day. i would work out 3x a day if i had the time!! my hair is super long, almost to my waist! i shower every day, but only wash every other. on the off days i just do it up in a pony or a cute messy bun. i get really sweaty at the gym, but this seems to work well for me :)
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I just go early every morning and then shower afterward since I'd have to anyway.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    BUMP. So many awesome ideas here. Thanks, y'all!
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good shampoo won't do that to your hair. Invest in really good organic shampoo like Kevin Murphy - it's worth the price tag!
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump, I am having this same problem and don't have time to read all the responses right now!
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think dry shampoo is a good suggestion.

I have really dry hair so I can go without washing my hair for a couple days. If I washed it every day it, would get really brittle and damaged. But working out makes it impossibly frizzy. So on days where I have to do my hair after working out, I use some styling cream and pin it back with a clip. On REALLY bad days, I use a ponytail and headband. It sucks, but I think working out is worth a couple bad hair days. :)
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Many have suggested dry shampoo but if you can also use baby powder - same price (if not cheaper) as the dry shampoo, just more of the product.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses, but I have thin hair that tends to get greasy when I don't wash it. I also sweat a LOT when working out. I have tried lots of different shampoos over the years, but I am currently using Lush solid shampoo (the Karma Komba one) and Lush American Dream conditioner. I LOVE it. It works well and doesn't dry out my hair or scalp, even when I'm showering twice a day (once in the AM and once after a workout).
  • kramalicious
    Options
    I make sure to rinse my hair out with water for a long time. If you want to try a dry shampoo, try the one THE ALL NIGHTER by "it's a Beautiful life.