Do you log food on your cheat days?

Options
I have a scheduled cheat day today (my first) and not sure I actually want to see the calories I plan on consuming. ;)
Should I log anyway? What do you do?

Replies

• xtezx
    xtezx Posts: 10
    Options
    I would log it hun. At the end of the day , you're only cheating urself if you dont enter it into your diary. And seeing it in black and white might encourage you to try harder? :) xx
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do...even though it's a cheat day, seeing my calories makes me cheat a lot less than normal :) Enjoy your cheat day!
  • chroniclesofthinoholic
    Options
    I suppose you log it in...because it does effect your weekly calorie goal...and is probably important in the longer run...

And it is your cheat day so don't feel too bad ..and don't binge too much maybe ;)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. You should still be aware of what you're eating.
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Definitely add it hun! That way you can look back on it and see how many calories you had. Sometime people have bad days, but because of their leftover calories for the week they dont actually go over their weekly calories.

You'd only be cheating yourself if you dont add it
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    I log everything, even cheat days. It's helps me cheat less. :smile:
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes. You have to be honest with yourself.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Yes. I tried not to this weekend, but just ended up spending an hour yesterday recalling everything I ate and drank to log it all.
  • donnasjohnson
    donnasjohnson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely log it. I've done it both ways, and I've found that mentally I stay in the game if I log, no matter how much I over eat. I understand where you are going with not logging, but for me that extra bit of denial just turned into an avenue to keep my head in the sand for days on end. Believe me, the food tastes just as good if you post the numbers!
  • munozrd
    munozrd Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I admit I have skipped it sometimes. More because I am embarrased of myself that day. But the right thing to do is post it. That way you see it and it can help you make adjustments, and see what it does for your week.
  • hunter624
    Options
    Of course I do and anyway I don't call then cheat days I call them treat days, same fiddle different tune.

If you don't log them the only person your fooling is yourself. Anyway one day is recoverable and not too much hassle.

Good luck with your journey, I know I'm enjoying mine...

:drinker:
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I take weekend off logging. It fits better in my schedule. I concentrate on eating only good food, and don't sweat the amount or complexity of the dishes. Then I compensate by eating less and plain during the week when I log. It actually helps weight loss to have an occasional feast, so I figure the weekends are the days to do it & it gives me the chance to eat something with many components without turning it into a science project of weighing, measuring and dividing into portions.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't most of the time.

It's not denial. I do it simply because sometimes I need a day away from here. I have a history of ED and obsessing over food and it feels good to have a day every once in awhile (maybe every 3 weeks to a month) to be away from here and to not think about food. For me, it's a mental health thing and I would prefer to stay healthy both physically and mentally.
  • Starality
    Options
    I log in my CD (Cheat Day) because I want to know how many calories I actually consume on those days.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's a cheat day. No way I'd log that. Defeats the whole purpose. Most people on this site are not in favor of cheat days and don't really understand them. I do because this is a concept that came alive in the 80's and is probably the most misunderstood concept in health and nutrition. Maybe more misunderstood than starvation mode. Lol. Enjoy your day off.

By the way, this topic can bring about lots of passion, so people that do it, do not talk about it. This site is very funny in that it has a culture and if you go against that culture, people will try hard to tell you you are doing it wrong. Yet, myself, along with many other people have lost weight utilizing cheat days. The only way to knownifnit works for you is to try it.

What you will see is many people will say things like, "it seems to me..." or "I think..." or "I don't understand why you would do this, blah, blah, blah". There are a lot of really good reasons to enjoy a cheat day. Lots of them. I say try it out for awhile. If you get results, then that means it works and there's no problem. If you find that you aren't hitting yr goals, maybe dial it back or modify it to a meal, or half a day or something. Just find some balance that works for you.

Logging it or not is up to you. I wouldn't because I want it to be fun and maybe a little naughty.
  • bkwhit1964
    Options
    Log it and it might not actually be as bad as you think. I have been really bad on days and actually my numbers were better than anticipated. Be true to yourself!
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day...but i log everything...
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I log everything on MFP - my body logs it all anyway. Not being 100% aware and tracking my food and exercise is what brought me to where I am, for me I need to be consistent with my efforts to make change happen.
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Log it for the first time.. If you don't like seeing it in your log, then you'll know not to log it anymore. You gotta do what makes you most comfortable. I enjoy logging it. I like to see what I ate.. Whether you log it or not, the calories still count ;)
  • Khymera
    Options
    I haven't had a cheat day yet but my general philosophy is that if it goes in my mouth, it goes in my diary.

If anything, logging a cheat day should help you identify what "traps" you're most likely to fall into, which will make it that much easier to avoid them in the future.