You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Dang. If only I had known this info before, I might have been losing weight for the past 9 months and my ticker would be something I could be proud of. :indifferent:
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I've lost 6lbs by eating breakfast. Well in my case drinking mine.

I have a protein shake every morning to kick start my metabolism.

I can't face the thought of having to eat in the morning.

I've lost my 6lbs in just over a month.

It's caused me to stop craving for sugary junk at 11am.

I don't think eating breakfast is the be all and end all but it does make a difference on the metabolism.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I bet OP is a member of the 1200 calorie per day church of MFP also.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    "Jump starting your metabolism" is BS

"You have to eat breakfast" is BS

"You have to eat x number of meals" is BS

There is a lot of BS in these threads!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No single approach, formula, or plan for weight loss can work perfectly for every person. We all need to do what works for us, not for others.

I believe that there is nothing wrong with sharing of what works. I posted what worked for me. Eating breakfast the way I described helped me lose weight without exercise and without feeling hungry.

The method that I share has helped me lose weight fast. This method grew out of my experience, my struggle with my weight and my frustration with the previous lack of success.

My post was not about just “eating breakfast” only. It was supposed to be about specific food that I eat for breakfast that made me successful. And of course there in no “a lot of protein” in the way I eat. I stated:”1 slice of 99% fat free turkey breast”.

I could have phrased the post title a bit different. I probably would be better understood if I used “for me it is very important to eat breakfast” instead of “must eat breakfast”.

It might be BS or inflammatory nonsense to some, who explicitly stated so here. But for others, especially for those who tried almost everything and nothing seems to have worked, it may be an option worth trying.

And yes. 91 pounds gone, in what appears to have been a relatively “easy” way, with no hunger and no exercise.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I could have phrased the post title a bit different. I probably would be better understood if I used “for me it is very important to eat breakfast” instead of “must eat breakfast”.

Yes, much better.

People often say meal timing is irrelevant and from a physiological standpoint that may be correct. But from a psychological standpoint it can be critical. But it is completely individual preference. You need breakfast. I don't.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    This post couldn't be further from the truth.
    Skipping breakfast actually leads to optimal hormone levels. About 2 hours after waking, GH levels will peak if you haven't eaten.

Eating breakfast spikes your insulin and puts your body in fat storing mode for the day..........
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat

PERIOD

Don't make things more complicated than they need to be
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

People often say meal timing is irrelevant and from a physiological standpoint that may be correct.

The people who say that typically haven't done the research.

Just tracking macros works fine but timing your meals to affect hormones does make a difference. It takes some extra effort I suppose, but it's not "broscience".
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight, and make sure it includes lean protein. Eating lean protein at breakfast is one of the most important things you can do to fell less hungry.

Even if you don’t feel hungry in the morning, eat breakfast anyway. It may be a challenge, but this is something you can do. Breakfast will help you prevent hunger later on. It will reduce your appetite and cravings and help you stick with your eating plan all day long.

I start my day off with good breakfast. For me it means non-starchy vegetable, fresh low-sugar fruit, lean protein, whole grain bread, and healthy fats (I take Omega 3 supplement).

This is my average day, but I generally eat the same things from day to day:

blueberries, blackberries, or apple,
    1 slice of dry, 100% whole-grain toasted bread with
    1 slice of 99% fat free turkey breast,
    1 fresh tomato hot tea (no milk, no sugar).

As you can see it is not a typical "breakfast foods". The protein consumption, when eaten as part of the daily first meal reduces my appetite throughout the day. I also believe that it jump-starts my metabolism and sets my body in the optimal fat-burning state.

Eating like this was initially a little challenging, but I got used to it. It has become a part of my eating strategy that caused me to lose 91 pounds without feeling hungry.

I eat breakfast every day

not sure if srs?
  • Lizzy516
    Options
    What should you try and keep your breakfast Calorie intake at.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    What should you try and keep your breakfast Calorie intake at.

but meal calorie intakes are going to vary from person to person.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I stop eating breakfast because I wanted to have more food in the evening than in the morning. I don't get hungry until 11-12 anyway. It's working for me.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Not at all true - just a personal opinion of the OP
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

Eating breakfast spikes your insulin and puts your body in fat storing mode for the day..........

Only if you have a carbs in your breakfast. :bigsmile:
    I don't. But then I don't have many carbs all day. But you are correct about carbs triggering fat storage in many people. Obesity started rising when bureaucrats first published the food pyramid and telling people to eat less meat and eat more grains.
    But most in the establishment "nutrition/diet" profession pretend that the carb / fat storage link doesn't exist. Slowly this is starting to change.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No single approach, formula, or plan for weight loss can work perfectly for every person. We all need to do what works for us, not for others.

I believe that there is nothing wrong with sharing of what works. I posted what worked for me. Eating breakfast the way I described helped me lose weight without exercise and without feeling hungry.

The method that I share has helped me lose weight fast. This method grew out of my experience, my struggle with my weight and my frustration with the previous lack of success.

My post was not about just “eating breakfast” only. It was supposed to be about specific food that I eat for breakfast that made me successful. And of course there in no “a lot of protein” in the way I eat. I stated:”1 slice of 99% fat free turkey breast”.

It might be BS or inflammatory nonsense to some, who explicitly stated so here. But for others, especially for those who tried almost everything and nothing seems to have worked, it may be an option worth trying.

And yes. 91 pounds gone, in what appears to have been a relatively “easy” way, with no hunger and no exercise.

Breakfast is fine, and if it helps you hit your cals and macros then it is working. For some, they cannot eat early in the morning, yet still do a great job losing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Only if you have a carbs in your breakfast. :bigsmile:
    I don't. But then I don't have many carbs all day. But you are correct about carbs triggering fat storage in many people. Obesity started rising when bureaucrats first published the food pyramid and telling people to eat less meat and eat more grains.
    But most in the establishment "nutrition/diet" profession pretend that the carb / fat storage link doesn't exist. Slowly this is starting to change.

So, respectfully, you are not aware that protein also significantly spike insulin?

OP, you said "you must". Giving advice as gospel from your personal experience is BS. Eating Breakfast is good for some, not for others. All preference. No metabolic or any other kind of advantage with the exception of compliance if that is what you prefer.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wrong. Just wrong.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

So, respectfully, you are not aware that protein also significantly spike insulin?

depends on the quantities.
    Yes if you slam large amounts of whey. Or eat a dozen eggs.

But if you're eating a small meal in the mornings like a couple of eggs with bacon, you aren't gonna see a huge rise in insulin.....
  • ashleybr1980
    ashleybr1980 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump