Options

Replies

• jennajocummings
    Options
    Completely disagree!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My sports doctor likened my metabolism to a fire. If you want that fire to burn hot and bright then you must feed it otherwise it will be dull and pitiful and of little use. Providing little warm and light. But if I throw on a big log and give that fire a good kick start then it will be hot, useful and efficient requiring top ups during the day. The body is the same way. Feed it breakfast and it will run hot and efficiently all day.. After all there is a reason for the saying "Breakfast like a King, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper."

no offense but your sports doctor is wrong. your metabolism just doesn't work that way.

My sports doctor trained Olympic athletes, published books, has run in many world wide marathons, duathlons and triathlons and has been part of the running community for 25 plus years. Yeah I guess he doesn't know anything at all huh. Where as you with all of your knowledge and experience know more. My bad.

None of that makes him an expert in nutrition.

To get the best out of an athlete you have to know how to fuel the body. If you participate in the same activity then you have a much better understanding of how to do that. Any good athlete or sports person is very active in gaining knowledge on how to better their nutrition. Under his advice back in 2005 I lost 51lbs and improved my base fitness and my recovery rate so much that I was able to do a martial arts grading that for me started at 7:45am and did not stop until 2:30 pm with a half hour lunch break.

Maybe I should have qualified it more. I was trying to improve my base fitness and lose weight to do a specific event. My main focus was not weight loss. So is he an expert? Maybe not. But he is very knowledgeable. You cannot do what he did for as long as he did without gaining some skills and a whole lot of knowledge along the way.

As for being snotty I am naturally sarcastic and do have to work at toning it down. But you're right, there is no need for it.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have been eating breakfast not that I particularly like it and my ticker wont move
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You mean there are specific things I have to do to lose weight :huh: ah crap!
  • Diablo83
    Options
    This may work for some people however its more about calories in and calories out...not so much time of day.
  • shadoewz
    Options
    Maybe "YOU" have to eat breakfast if "YOU" want to lose weight, but I don't have to. Neither do many other people.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You and the NFL replacement refs should hang out, both are blatantly wrong.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this troll thread was this successful, gj OP.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My sports doctor likened my metabolism to a fire. If you want that fire to burn hot and bright then you must feed it otherwise it will be dull and pitiful and of little use. Providing little warm and light. But if I throw on a big log and give that fire a good kick start then it will be hot, useful and efficient requiring top ups during the day. The body is the same way. Feed it breakfast and it will run hot and efficiently all day.. After all there is a reason for the saying "Breakfast like a King, lunch like a prince and dine like a pauper."

no offense but your sports doctor is wrong. your metabolism just doesn't work that way.

My sports doctor trained Olympic athletes, published books, has run in many world wide marathons, duathlons and triathlons and has been part of the running community for 25 plus years. Yeah I guess he doesn't know anything at all huh. Where as you with all of your knowledge and experience know more. My bad.

To get the best out of an athlete you have to know how to fuel the body. If you participate in the same activity then you have a much better understanding of how to do that. Any good athlete or sports person is very active in gaining knowledge on how to better their nutrition. Under his advice back in 2005 I lost 51lbs and improved my base fitness and my recovery rate so much that I was able to do a martial arts grading that for me started at 7:45am and did not stop until 2:30 pm with a half hour lunch break.

Maybe I should have qualified it more. I was trying to improve my base fitness and lose weight to do a specific event. My main focus was not weight loss. So is he an expert? Maybe not. But he is very knowledgeable. You cannot do what he did for as long as he did without gaining some skills and a whole lot of knowledge along the way.

As for being snotty I am naturally sarcastic and do have to work at toning it down. But you're right, there is no need for it.

You do know most MFP members are more knowledgable and more qualified than any doctor or health/fitness professional out there? Once you get that straight in your head, you will have a much nicer time here ;)

Now, go fire that doctor of yours and stop wasting your time with someone who has spent years studying and start listening to the real experts, you know the ones who've read a few books and online forums?

(....you did say you like sarcasm!)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Um, I don't see anything there about your doctor having any direct experience with nutrition or food science. I see he has experience training athletes to preform at an optimal level. Guess what? If everyone was meant to be a professional athlete - we'd all be professional athletes. You can't treat everyone the same and expect the best results for everyone. Period. Any decent doctor knows that and approaches patients with individualized care.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options

You do know most MFP members are more knowledgable and more qualified than any doctor or health/fitness professional out there? Once you get that straight in your head, you will have a much nicer time here ;)

Now, go fire that doctor of yours and stop wasting your time with someone who has spent years studying and start listening to the real experts, you know the ones who've read a few books and online forums?

(....you did say you like sarcasm!)

While I agree that breakfast can be an important meal for some people, I don't subscribe to the mentality of "You must do...." Cause as everyone is pointing out, we are all different. We will all do what is right for ourselves. And at the end of the day that is all that matters. I never used to be a breakfast person. And even now I have to remind myself sometimes to sit down and eat. Otherwise I can go till mid afternoon and not eat. Which winds up being bad for those around me, not just me.

On another note, I'm guessing that doctors are better trained in New Zealand then they are here in the States.. And a Doctor of Sports Medicine in New Zealand is far more likely to be an active sports person then not. New Zealanders have a tendency to turn their passions into a working career. Hence why I know that my sports doctor is as good as everyone else was telling me he was. I didn't just take his word for it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Thinking you can map your hormone fluctuations throughout the day and match your eating to them, shows that you read an article/book/took a class/or some other form of getting very general information and now think you are an expert.

Reading several books, articles and studies on a regular basis kind of allows you to reccommend something.

I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I have read enough to know that ignoring hormones and thinking cals in vs cals out is optimal is just being lazy.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

On another note, I'm guessing that doctors are better trained in New Zealand then they are here in the States.. And a Doctor of Sports Medicine in New Zealand is far more likely to be an active sports person then not. New Zealanders have a tendency to turn their passions into a working career. Hence why I know that my sports doctor is as good as everyone else was telling me he was. I didn't just take his word for it.

Not debating the fact that he's a good sports doctor, maybe even a good athlete.. But that doesn't mean he's a nutritionist.

Louie Simmons is one of the greatest strength coaches in the world, several world records, trains olympic athletes, etc. But I wouldn't take nutritional advice from him. He isn't a nutritionist.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You don't have to come off snotty.
    You can be a strength coach, a doctor, an athlete, etc without knowing jack **** about nutrition.....
    clearly.

Go to the library, spend 30 minutes reading a handful of books on nutrition and you'd understand why we're saying he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Do you really believe that if you went to the library you won't find ANY books that support his sports doc's advice? Along with a plethora of books that support paleo, fasting, low carb, Atkins, 6 meals, gluten free, high fat, juicing, cleanses, etc? Or does your local library branch only have one type of nutrition book?

I'm not going to bother weighing in on either side of this debate because people will believe what they want, but I do find it odd how much people believe something they just read the day before yesterday.

Once you've been doing this and reading up on stuff for a long time, you'll notice a pattern. The new studies negate the old studies, and the newer studies validate the old studies, then the newest studies negate the study that negated the study that validated that other study. Everybody that is mocking someone's nutrition or fitness belief today will get their turn at the wheel in 5 years when everything they believed has morphed into "broscience" and the new shish has been "proven" to trump the old shish.

Really, you can lose weight eating breakfast. You can lose weight skipping breakfast. Pick what you like to do and let others do what they want. Newsflash: Most things (within reason) will actually work for most people. There's no one way and never has been.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I can't even function unless I eat breakfast.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

Do you really believe that if you went to the library you won't find ANY books that support his sports doc's advice? Along with a plethora of books that support paleo, fasting, low carb, Atkins, 6 meals, gluten free, high fat, juicing, cleanses, etc? Or does your local library branch only have one type of nutrition book?

she wouldn't find many that were published anytime recently, with studies to back them up..................
    because the advice is flat out wrong.

I agree that you can lose weight while eating breakfast. I did it for a long time..... Doesn't make it optimal though.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    This is NOT correct....might work for you...but breakfast is not necessary - a calorie is a calorie regardless of when you eat it.
  • XxXWhitneyShereeXxX
    Options
    I cant stomach breakfast even when I was a kid I would skip it. I usualy force down a protein bar, shake or granola bar but thats all I can do in the mornings and im losing weight fine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    This is NOT correct....might work for you...but breakfast is not necessary - a calorie is a calorie regardless of when you eat it.

gonna ignore the timing part of it.......and just explain that a calorie isn't a calorie in terms of body composition..........

so this is wrong on 2 levels......
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Great if it works for you. Personally, if I start eating before 10:00am I eat all day long. So I am up and busy about 4-5 hrs before I start eating. But all of my meals do include lean protein. That is what works for me. One of the biggest benefits to keeping track of food is finding out what works best for you. Good luck