guys... and their opinions on southern accents

Options

Replies

• kmarie0614
    kmarie0614 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear. My accent is NOT honey boo boo child... I dont even know if you could call that a country accent. I have a drawl on everything I say. When I say a word ending in -ing it usually comes out as -in. I do say ya'll and y'all (yes there is a big difference) and I do say words like reckon, yonder, and phrases such as bless your heart. I am educated (just graduated with 2 degrees and now continuing for my masters with a 4.0 GPA) I also have a full time job that I work at 40+ hours a week (just to clarify that I do not sit around the house and do nothing like honey boo boo childs momma). And the statement that started this argument between the guys was a simple "excuse me" how he heard an accent in those 2 words... im not sure.
  • Spanntastic12
    Options
    Being a southern guy myself...southern accents are fine. You can sound educated with any type of accent. Just be you!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I like the southern accent.

However if its real thick and "how many cats are in the circle" type thing, it ain;t for me
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    FOr me, a southern US accent is very sexy, I love it :)
  • brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    love southern accents. i guess it could make you sound stupid at times, but i don't really agree with it. but if it's super thick it could give you a trashy stereotype.

but anybody with half a brain wouldn't correlate an accent with intelligence lol
  • jerbear67
    jerbear67 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    So, out of nowhere I get told that I sound uneducated and stupid just by the tone of my voice and incredibly thick southern accent. This rude comment was interrupted by a guy who said he thought accents were incredibly sweet and sexy. Then this turned into a debate of about 30 men all with very different opinions. So I have to hear it from my MFP people since you all seem to be brutally honest.... Yes or no to a girl with a southern accent. And you have to tell me why. I am beyond curious!

First off the idiot that made that statement must be stupid and uneducated! Smart educated people keep thoughts like that to themselves. Okay, now onto the question at hand. I do find southern accents extreamly sexy. In fact the guy I'm currently talking to has a southern accent and it drives me wild.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'm not a man, but...

I think there's a huge difference between a southern accent and a southern drawl. Whenever I hear someone with a drawl, I can't help but think they're uneducated and trashy...Honey Boo Boo-esque...but a more genteel southern accent can be quite attractive!

I find this to be true of most accents, regardless of the region of origin.

This pretty much says it.

If you are a girl that talks like Larry the Cable guy....
    vs
    A girl that sounds like she belongs in Sweet Magnolias...
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Southern accent on a girl is sexy as hell. It sounds demure and old fashioned from the days a female wasn't afraid to be female.
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I love the sound of a womans southern accent. Makes her even hotter in my opinion lol
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    An accent of any kind is not a factor. Content is much more important than delivery.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas, southeast Texas, so I have a pretty thick southern accent. Or so I'm told I do. However, I find my husband's accent a lot thicker then mine. I do not hear my accent at all though.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    As a Jersey Guy who spends most of his time in NYC I LOVE a southern accent on a girl. Something soft and sexual about it that just turns my mind to mush...
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    what's not to like.....I love them, sexy!!
  • bigaris911
    Options
    As a NY guy... trust me... southern accent on a woman is sexy especially when they talk dirty!!! =) besides I've had to hear enough loud mouthed NY women for a lifetime!!!! =)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Its my same opinion with English accents. It can either sound sexy or just down right dumb
  • annerowan
    annerowan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've a West Coast of Scotland accent, so god knows what that'll sound like to you. I'm guessing by southern, you mean American South?? Well, I find that sooo attractive, soft and very easy on the ear! So tell the dissenters to go take a hike!!lol
  • maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know Texas is not the same as Southern accent, but I absolutely hate my Texas accent and try to hide it whenever possible.
  • pwagoner74
    pwagoner74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love it, i have been all over the country and i have chosen to reside in the south due to the politeness and the accents, nothing beats a southern lady :)
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Accents aren't a deal breaker by any means. Though I can't imagine myself with girls of thick southern accents... The bedroom time is where I'd be concerned. Just some accents aren't sexy. I'm in Texas, my family is all from Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina. I know southern accents pretty well. I have a preference for southern people who don't butcher the English language. I'm not talking southern bell accent, but more so southern trailer park accent.

Texas is barely south... due to it being its own thing... The west Texas drawl is frustrating for me to hear... I'm way too ADD to listen to a lot of'em.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    A southern accent is great, as long as you still speak proper english. Nothing makes me cringe like hearing "I seen that". I see. I saw. I have seen. Or double negatives, "she don't know no better"
    :explode: