The ABSURD things people say.....

Replies

• My personal favorite:

"You've definitely lost weight.. You lost all your boobs!"

I tried to just ignore the last part but then she said it again.

"Sorry honey, you lost all your boobs.."

No, no I didn't. Thank you anyway. >.<

A girl I work with has said this more than a few times to me! I'm like, no, just band size. Cup size is the same. (Technically, the letter changed, but because band changed it's the same cup size... Who invented this system? lol) 38C to 34DD. Yeah, I don't think I lost any boob. Thanks, though.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    I think people should be happy for other people's progress. If your jealous, then maybe you should do something about yourself. I have always been height and weight proportioned. Since MFP I loss 10 pounds, though still thick, my "family" and "friends" refer to me as skinny and tell me I don't need to loose weight. I want to be thick and working out has allowed me to loose my love handles and other hidden yet unwanted fat. It's ok, I'm doing it for me not you :-)
  • I had a customer of the bank I work for tell me I look thin and tan. Then he asked me if I was getting divorced and wiggled his eyebrows at me. Creepy!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    "you're going to blow away in the wind" said by a neighbor sitting on her patio while watching me mow the lawn
    "your face is looking saggy" said by my mother grrrrr
    "some people don't know when to stop losing & it becomes a problem" co-worker
    "what do you weigh now?" Really, should I bounce that question right back atcha?
    "eat something, seriously, eat something" said by my son after a full lunch at Applebee's

I'm happy I have more control of what spills out of my mouth. But having said that.... I wonder if I've ever unintentionally hurt someone's feelings.
    It is what it is
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Them: Are you sick/on drugs?

Me: -______-
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member

You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?

People actually have the balls to say this to you? Wow..
    Yeah, I did a bit of a double take when I read that one.

All this has made me realize I know REALLY polite people! lol
    The one thing I get that drives me batty is a few people asking how much I weigh now, and not even people I'm close to, just acquaintances.
  • Chriswind
    Chriswind Posts: 18 Member
    I get the "you are skinny. You don't need to loose weight."

I don't think I'm fat. I gained approx 20 lbs since I got married last year and I'm just trying to take it off and get healthy. I use to eat like a trucker.
  • "You still trying to lose weight?" *Looks her up and down* "Lemme guess, you trying to do it for some n*gga"

(Said by one of my regular customers verbatim)

.....Really though? It couldn't have been for me?
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    you'll encounter all kinds of attitudes. i think some of them are probably legitimate. i mean, your friends may not know what you look like thin. heck, you may not even know yourself! there is also the possibility that you've lost a bit of muscle as and are looking a bit thin.

however, you will encounter jealous comments. to the fat people you were friends with, you're a traitor who has left the group behind. to the skinny friends, you may now be seen as a bit of competition.

in other words, the way people perceive you has changed. it'll take a while for you to get used to your body and for others to get used to it. my advice is not to be offended, because their comments generally say more about them than they do about you.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Hubby hung out the washing and said he noticed a camisole in the basket but when he pulled it out he realised it was knickers! (more like a parachute I think). Nice one! I thought it was hilarious.
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    As someone who doesn't really know what it's like to be considered fat, what is the appropriate thing to say to someone close to you who has lost a ton of weight? I ask because one of my aunts recently lost 100+ pounds. The first time I saw her I said something to the effect of "Wow you look amazing!" Now I'm worried that instead of being supportive I acted like a jerk.

So what is the right thing to say?
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    As someone who doesn't really know what it's like to be considered fat, what is the appropriate thing to say to someone close to you who has lost a ton of weight? I ask because one of my aunts recently lost 100+ pounds. The first time I saw her I said something to the effect of "Wow you look amazing!" Now I'm worried that instead of being supportive I acted like a jerk.

So what is the right thing to say?
    Wow you look amazing is great but stop there, it's when people carry on that they say stupid stuff.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    "You don't need to lose weight, I do"
    Says the person who wears size 6 pants to me who wears a size 14.
    This is the most annoying thing anyone ever says to me. Usually said while grabbing an inch of skin and claiming its a huge roll of fat grrr

UGG....THIS!!!. My roommate, "Derek, I'm getting fat", 6 foot, 165...his BMI is almost considered "underweight". I've told him at time I want to punch him in the face if he says he's fat again.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Dammed if you do.. And damned if you dont..

Thats how it has always been and how it (sadly) continues to be.

We should just brush it off our shoulders, be realistic about our goals and do whatever makes us happy. :flowerforyou:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    While most comments I get on my loss are complimentary and well-intended, I sure have gotten some doozies. Anyone else? Here are a few of my favorites....

1) Wow. You've lost a lot of weight. Are you sick?
    2) What's your secret to losing so much weight?
    3) You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?
    4) Wow. You're so skinny. Don't you think you're a bit too thin?

I'm not sick. There is no secret. My husband has been wonderful. And NO, I'm not skinny in the least.

I have heard 1,2 and 4... multiple times.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    When people look at me in disgust when I tell them I'm losing weight because I'm 10 lbs away from my goal.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member

Wow. You've lost a lot of weight. Are you sick?
    What's your secret to losing so much weight?
    Wow. You're so skinny. Don't you think you're a bit too thin?

I get all of the above and the other day at my children Open House bake sale I got " You are too skinny eat a cookie".

The best compliment I got recently that I loved was " I love your arms. You got Michelle Obama arms." I had not heard
    that one yet so I like it. The best comments I get though is that I have inspired them to get healthy. They say no more excuses
    If you can do it so can I. I have posted before about getting too many comments/compliments everyday, but if we can inspire someone else to live a healthier lifestyle than I guess it is all worth it
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    I hate the "You're getting too skinny" BS... I get that from a friend who was once the smaller of the 2 of us and she isn't any longer so she makes it a point to say this every time I see her. I'm 5'4" and ~125... that is healthy and fit. Silly people trying to mess with our heads!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    mine is the opposite. Ive toned up and only lost a tad bit of weight. But still a noticable difference. Women look at me, take a second look up and down and say nothing. I know its apparent because my family members have told me how great I'm looking. Its frustrating for me to not even get a comment from people that I know are seeing a difference.

Oh I know that stare very famaliar!! People at work just started saying things to me, but many will give me that stare!

here here!..I get that too!...if they're gonna stare why don't they just say something! I know I'm the first to comment if I notice how well someone is looking :)
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Found this blog, might be an interesting read.

www.thereselean.com/2012/08/30/weight-loss-jealousy-part1/