So...My mom died.

Options

Replies

• denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So sorry to read about your mom. I'm sure she's smiling down on you and is so proud of you for making this change. All the best on your journey. You can do this! Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest obstacles for me, personally, to overcome, is the lack of movement. I have a bum knee. I work 12 hr nights in a hospital. I do alot. And then, I sit alot and chart. And when I get home in the morning, I flop. I sleep all day, get up, make dinner, and do it all again for 3 days straight. Then, when I do finally get a couple days off, the last thing I want to do is go to the gym....or go for a walk...or get on my elliptical... Those are the things that I already KNOW that I must do. This is my biggest mental hurdle. So, within the past month, I went to an orthopedic to get a cortisone shot in the knee. Told him that if I can get this pain under control, I would get up and move more. So here I am...with my second chance.

I don't get another second chance. This one is it. I'm goin there. I 'm gona pull out every food demon in my deep, dark closet and address each and every one, no matter how difficult it may be. It's time for this girl to get her life back.

Im so sorry to hear about your mother :( God bless her soul. Try not to put so much pressure on yourself and don't injure yourself by stressing your joints, knee and muscles with over training because it's what you think you need to do. Start small and work your way up to fitness. You can start by taking a 15 minute walk every day. Begin lifting weights (for maximum weight loss). You don't need to spend your entire day in the gym. Only 3 days a week, maybe 2. Change your diet some. Eat more veggies and protein. Notice I said eat? Please don't fall for the "I must only eat very little to lose weight." In doing so, you will not be healthy. So it's a simple process. Very small hills, not mountains. You can do this.

If you want more info on getting fit the healthy way by burning fat and not spinning your wheels 2 hours a day doing cardio only, click this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Best wishes for you in the future and again, my condolences on the loss of your mother :(
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey... My mother passed May 2011, the day after Mother's Day. Similar story. She got more and more obese over the years, and when she caught pneumonia she went into congestive heart failure. She was also 67. Most horrible thing that's ever happened to me. It's also been motivating. I'm more determined than ever that I will be strong and healthy and in shape. All I can tell you is to keep working through your grief and don't stop taking care of your self. :flowerforyou: You want to be around for your daughter as long as you can.
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We're all here for you.
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss but congratulate you in trying to change your own ways. I lost my mom two years ago and not from obesity because she was always thin. She was just very unhealthy and didn't care for her body, nutritionally or physically. It was a life changing experience for me. I miss her dearly.

I wish you the best on your journey.
  • Marie31450
    Marie31450 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your mom..but good for you for taking the first steps toward a healthier lifestyle! Sending a friend request..we can definitely motivate each other and help you reach your goal for your daughters wedding!
  • imalexgirl
    Options
    Sorry that you lost your Mom so young! Mine wasn't much older. I admire you for wanting to improve your health...it is tough getting started! I have really found a lot of great people on here, and that really helps to keep me motivated. I wish you success on your journey!
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. My mom died 6 years ago.... of cancer :( It's hard everyday.... You have the best outlook. Pick yourself up and the women your mom would be proud of ......
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I believe that with dedication and commitment that you can accomplish your goal. Start today and make small changes as you head forward. Good luck.
  • kittybear86
    kittybear86 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.My dad died in December of 2008,and I miss him everyday.So I know what it's like to lose someone you care about so much.And welcome to MFP,feel free to add me if you like.
  • lpitcock
    lpitcock Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am terribly sorry for your loss. It must be hard to lose a parent. I would be happy to support you in this journey. Please add me as a friend, if you would like my support. Best wishes for a healthier future.
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I am very sad that your mom passed away...you are right. It didn't have to happen. But you have decided to take advantage of the
    time you now have, to take charge of your life. I'm proud of you for that.

Please use the support from people who are on here to help you on your journey. The best thing would be to find a friend near you
    who can be a fitness/nutrition buddy for you. But sometimes friends and family can't be supportive for whatever reason. That is where
    MFP can help. Everyone here is on the same journey...the nutrition and fitness plans we're on may be different, but we can share our
    experience, our hope and strength.

I agree with the poster who said not to do this for your daughter's wedding. Congrats on that, by the way! You will gain the weight back if you do it for her. But if you do it for yourself, you will succeed...I know you will, because I can hear the determination in your
    "voice".

Best wishes, Sue :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for making the decision to change your life. The best piece of advice I can give you is don't get hung up on goals. You might lose 7 lbs a month initially, but it will gradually become less and less over time. You will frustrate yourself if you expect to keep to a certain standard. Just focus on what you eat and increasing your activity and the rest will take care of itself. You don't have to restrict your diet or specific foods. You just have to focus on eating a balanced diet that allows you to get the most complete nutrition possible.

Best of luck! Your life will never be the same again! :flowerforyou:
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom. At least you're seeing a lesson to be learned from it though. Good luck with your weight loss. You know what needs to be done. We're all here for ya too.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    While I am sorry for the loss of your mom, I am glad that you recognized the need to get your health together.
    I lost my brother and sister exactly one week apart both due to obesity. She was only 33 and he was only 40 years young. She had a blood clot in her lung and he had a massive heart attack...exactly one week apart!
    That was my wake up call. Since then, I've lost over 60 lbs. My goal was just 1 lb at a time so I know you can do it.
    Wishing you the best in your weight loss journey and more than happy to support you along the way. :flowerforyou:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My dad died in 2003 from a pulmonary ebolism. See, for as long as I can remember, he had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, gout, and wore like a size 54 Hanes t-shirt. I could literally fit 3 of myself in his pants. He ate monsterous portions, largely because he's mom's mindset was to feed feed feed. . everyone. He eventually developed diabetes and when he died his kidneys were at like 30% functioning capacity. Scary scary stuff.

It was enough to get me thinking. While I've never been obese, I was overweight. I carried it well, as they say, so no one really ever mentioned my weight. But, it took awhile for me to get serious about losing weight.

I don't want to be on maintenance medications until I'm like 80 (wishful thinking). I don't want my grandkids to only know me by photos and stories. At least as far as it depends on my actions and behaviors!

I applaud your determination to use a heartbreaking loss to motivate you. My heart is sad that you have lost your mom. But I smile knowing that you are going to turn that loss into something positive!

I wish you all the best!
  • Timalein
    Timalein Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss and cannot begin to fathom what you have been going through this year. I would be happy to cheer you on or support you in anyway I can. My heart, thoughts and prayers are with you.
  • LuvsToSpin
    LuvsToSpin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry to hear about your Mom's passing! I also congratulate you on making the decision to make changes in your own personal health. I am 50 yrs old as well, and I am in better health and look younger now than I did 10 years ago! You can do this! You have come to the right place. Just use the tools and friendships provided here and you will see results. It won't be easy, and at times it won't be fun, but it is worth it!

I had a complete physical a couple months ago and my doctor was pleasantly surprised at my results. All of my blood work came back better than anyone could have expected, and my resting pulse rate is in the very low 60's. I take no prescription medicine for anything and that's my goal....to reach old age without the help of drugs!

Do this for yourself first, your daughter second and in the memory of your Mom. You know she will be looking down on your smiling at your progress and cheering you on!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You can do it, look at it as a life style change and not a diet. Sorry about your mom, but now you can set a good example for your daughter by getting on the healther track now. Your welcome to add me if you want.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I have sent you a friends request. I suggest you print the above note and put it on your fridge. Today's feelings of "Go GO GOOOO" will subside a bit, and that will remind you of how you feel right this moment!!

Good luck.........or should I say Hard work to ya!

Jeannine

I couldn't have said it better. So sorry to hear about your mom, and welcome to myfitnesspal. I agree about printing out the message board post that you made and put it on your fridge so that you can see it everyday. It will help to keep you motivated. Eat clean and exercise daily (even if all you can do is walking right now) and you will see progress. I will send you a friend request. Maybe we can keep each other motivated. :) Looking forward to seeing your posts-Melissa