how different are you from your online persona?

Options
taylor5877
taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
The first impression thread got me thinking, as everytime I replied on it, someone kind of nailed "me". I'd recently changed my profile pic for the reason of making a more realistic first impression.

How much of "you" do you actually put out there on message boards? Are you really guarded, or more open because of the anonymity aspect?

I'm actually more me online, as I am a sarcastic wise *kitten* in person (I generally have a break in period with people/friends), though I take much stock in how my actions affect others and try to comfort those I sense really need it. So if i offend you, my bad, I just misread either what you could take or your sincerity in a post.

Replies

• loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm me online and off!

There's always going to be atleast one person who doesn't like your ideals ..etc. But as far as forums go - they are meant to bring like minds together bouncing ideas off of eachother and along with that naturally comes debate.

You can't please everyone - so why try?!

This is pure entertainment for me with very little fact. You get to learn a few tricks and tips. Sometimes even a good source of knowledge rears it's head weeded out from the bs. But, ultimately - for fun.

Cheers!
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i'm more or less the same. more outgoing online though i would say. i'm kind of shy with strangers in real life. but still a sarcastic betch on and off the interwebs.

i'm also super weird and quirky which doesn't really come across online (probably a good thing). luckily most people i know find it endearing.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am really this big of a sarcastic snatch in person. It's charming to some.
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    Same. Except of course I express more here.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If anything I am more reserved online than off. I am a firecracker but a little shy online.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i'm shorter in real life.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My tongue gets me into more trouble in real life...it seems that people are more forgiving online. I'm me bit(h!
  • beernpizza
    beernpizza Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    i'm really shy in person. I don't like to be and I try not to be but I can't help it. I enjoy being on MFP, it's a way for me to come out of my shell.
  • m13sam2012
    Options
    more me online! sure!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Im ugly in real life..oh and fat
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I don't think I'm too different .....I'm very laid back most of the time:)
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I am on here how I am in real life. No point being anything else.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am the same in person as online.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Same personality of course, but my MFP friends would be shocked to see how shy and introverted I tend to be around ppl I don't know well in real life.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'm the same personality wise. But here, I'm allowed to talk about food/fitness/etc. I have so many people who do not want to hear it in my "real" life. So, I don't get to chat about this stuff too much besides here and to my poor dear husband!! LOL Otherwise, what you see is what you get.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No difference at all.

I'm as pedantic, irritating, annoying, verbose, sarcastic, etc. online as I am in person.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm an even bigger d*** in real life
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm suuuuuuuuper shy and awkward in "real life". It could be the lack of self confidence, hah! I'm still me, of course, but I'm more open to showing "me" online than in person.

If that make any sense all (:
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Pretty much just me.
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    I'm the same when it comes to what I think, however, I am completely different when it comes to being able to talk to people about those thoughts. It comes out a lot better here and other social networking sites.