Starting a 30 Day Juice Fast 09/05/2012! Support needed!

Options

Replies

• gottaloveit7771
    Options
    End of day 9. Wasn't feeling good today. My husband got a cold from someone at work and passed it on to me. So yea, I haven't been too much in the mood to post much. I think I am at the same weight. My scale is a little psycho at times and will give you 3 different readings right in a row. Other times it's the same. So it's hard to know exactly what my weight is. I haven't had any headaches which is nice. Hopefully I start feeling better tomorrow.

As far as the protein goes, I make sure I consume veggies/fruits that have lots of protein in them. And because you can get so many things in one drink, it can easily have 8-14 grams per cup. I think you are supposed to multiply your weight by .3 to find out how many grams your body should have. So mine would be 65. I may come up a little short on days but for the most part I think I am getting enough. So answer, no I am not adding anything to my diet as of now for extra protein. I may at some point if I feel my body needs it.

I am very excited for everyone who is doing a fast right now! Stay strong and listen to your body :) talk to you all tomorrow!
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've been watching your journey and am interested to keep doing so. I know nothing about juice or fasts but have watched Big fat and nearly dead. Am interested in how it goes. Not for me but I might add some juices to my diet. CAn you share the recipes you are using?
  • sunnykt
    Options
    The thing that has struck me the most about this thread is your amazing positive attitude, even when confronted with naysayers.

Your attitude is an inspiration and I loved it when you wrote "I do read everything, I'm just not responding the way you had hoped". Beautiful.

I think people are forgetting that if you live to 86 then a month is 1/1032 of your life.

Many figures in many different religions and cultures, throughout history have gone on spiritual fasts, a liquid fast is surely healthier, and your body is quite adaptive. Look at the whole "starvation mode" mythos as proof. I've read those studies, and the studies done replicating Nazis prisoners and as far as starvation mode goes, there is just evidence that suggests the less you eat, the more your body will store food (as it doesn't know when it's next meal is coming) and the lower your metabolism will get. And once your body learns to store food as fat, it's difficult to get it to stop. I know enough anorexics and bulimics to know that a diet can have long-term negative effects on your metabolism, but usually these are long term diets, and the harm is caused over years.

This shows that the body is beautifully adaptive to circumstances, but also that these circumstances are generally built up over time.

I also loved it when people call weight watchers a "fad" diet, yet weight watchers works of the same premise of myfitnesspal- low calorie. (If a very seemingly processed and flawed version of calorie counting). A focus on calories has been panned by many experts in the fitness, health and medical fields lately- with many professionals stating that it is better to focus on fruits, vegetables and healthy un-processed foods. With some experts claiming that calorie counting can be inaccurate (which I haven't found it to be in my experience). But that's not really the attitude on myfitnesspal (understandably as this is a calorie counting tool, it can be a very group-think community).

Studies have shown that people who "fad diet" are likely to weigh more than people of the same general grouping who do not, so I can see why people are concerned. But that data, and relying on it, seems like it contains numerous fallacies. Studies also show the importance of a positive attitude on health and well-being, and the negative effects of worrying (something I'm good at). Yet that's not something any of these negative "concerned" citizens who tell you you're being unhealthy- when years of being negative, looking for the worst in situations and over-intellectualising will probably harm my health far worse than my diet does, not to mention my sleeping habits.

Health is more than just food, and a month is a very limited period of time in the grand scheme of things. Having a lower BMI in general is linked to a lot of positive health consequences (not to mention social consequences) as long as it doesn't get too low. If you can detox for a month and lower your BMI then this seems to be very positive. Studies have also shown that you can re-train your habits in approximately this long, so this offers you the potential to re-train yourself into a more healthy lifestyle after having fallen off the bandwagon, so to speak.

But mostly my point is this. There are many studies, and they say many different things- and you can draw your own conclusions and really use them to make any argument you want (as long as you have half a brain). So people shouldn't be condemning you so quickly for things they haven't read, and for information that can inevitably get twisted to any purpose an intelligent person wishes. Most of the people who condemn you have only limited knowledge themselves, particularly when they mention "starvation mode" (which is a myfitnesspal community buzzword). In other fitness communities other buzz words are thrown around. And although it is based on research, it's also based on the ideology that people can't be trusted with their own health (which they can't) so better to keep them safe then to be sorry. It's like the dosage on medication bottles. Two aspirin for a 5 ft girl is different to two for a 6'4 body builder. But better to have uniformity and to prevent anything from happening by giving people clear instructions. People should stop harping on about the instructions so much though. Because the equation as to exactly how many aspirins a person needs for their body weight, age and condition is probably better, if more field-orientated knowledge. People on myfitnesspal are loosing weight slowly towards a long term goal the idea of someone loosing weight short term (after all this effort goes into a long term goal) can divide people. Obviously a long-term goal is going to be healthier and more fruitful long-term, but that doesn't deter from the positive outcomes that often result from other dietary plans. It's like comparing a thesis to an 1'000 word essay. Clearly one is better. But that doesn't mean writing an essay isn't a good start.

Yes, a fruit juice diet isn't a sustainable eating plan. But out of all the food groups to live off, I would certainly choose fruits and vegetables any day. They contain fibre, fats (hello avocado) carbohydrates and (contrary to popular belief) many vegetables also contain protein. While this is hardly the same as the amount in meat, an artichoke, corns, peas or collards will give you enough to suffice. Kale is also a good option when juicing.

There are going to be nay-sayers about any dietary change, but I can't help but think a move away from processed foods and complex carbs for such a small amount of time, in order to 're-set' your attitudes to processed foods and your diet is good.

I wish you much luck on your fruit juice diet!
    I'm thinking about starting a kind-of vegan fast (more as a lifestyle re-program and to just see what happens and how I feel then for weight loss) and I might need support with that :S

I personally don't think I could do "just juice" but it will be interesting to see how you go with it.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ok, at first, I thought you were doing some crazy fad diet thing. The way you stated things I got the impression that you had been suckered into to some new wave thing- coupled with the fact that you have videos of yourself doing the HCG diet.....

I WATCHED Fat, sick and nearly dead last night. What a great and inspirational movie. I can now see why you are doing what you are doing, and in fact- I plan to add juicing to my diet on a daily basis and hope to one day do a reboot myself.

Here's the deal- I think people don't understand that you are attempting to reboot your body and your tastes- and she hasn't explained it in my opinion, terribly well- The entire premise of what she is doing on the fast, it's not really clear until you watch the movie. I challenge every nay sayer to watch the movie- and not be inspired by what you saw there.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This study form the Obesity Research Journal shows that very low calorie diets (VLCD) are an acceptable form of weight loss.

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n11s/full/oby2001134a.html
    "VLCDs have been shown to be very effective in the treatment of obesity. An average weekly weight loss of approximately 2.0 kg in the first 4 to 6 weeks slows to an average weekly weight loss of approximately 0.8 kg over a 6-month period."

A juice fast is certainly a VLCD (under 800 a day) probably 200-300 calorie per juice. If it was me, I would probably substitute some whey protein shakes for juices, but for 1 month, all juice will certainly not hurt you. It is certainly not a long term diet.
    The hard part is when you start eating again to not regain the weight. You will have to monitor what you eat very carefully.

You might want to check out the Intermittent Fasting group on MFP where you water fast for limited periods of time. That is what I am doing, and I find it helps to shrink my appetite and gives me better control over what I eat.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I did a 40-day juice fast when I was in my twenties. It had very positive effects on my health. It also made me quite weak at times during the fast, so when I was a few weeks in, I took some time off work, because my body needed to rest more than normal. It also made me a quite irritable sometimes, and sometimes tearful - it was actually quite emotionally cathartic. And I didn't like the taste I got in my mouth - there is an unpleasant taste one gets from fasting. But the fast also gave me great mental energy and focus, and I felt very mentally and emotionally healthy, as well as physically healthy.

I had a lot of people worrying about me and telling me that what I was doing was unhealthy and dangerous, so halfway into my fast I went to the doctor to get checked out. The doctor had never heard of fasting, and was very dubious and expected it to have had some detrimental effects on my health, but when he tested me I was fine and very healthy, much to his surprise, and said I was fine to continue the fast, and that it was clearly having a good effect on me. I would recommend doing this - one of the difficult things during the fast is dealing with people constantly telling you that fasting is wrong and bad and unnatural, and assuming you haven't done any research and that you're just randomly doing it on a whim. But they tend to listen to a doctor's evidence, albeit a bit grudgingly! And also for your own peace of mind - in case there is a possibility that you are harming your body (everyone is different, and not everyone can fast).

The most important thing about doing a prolonged fast is to break it healthily. Once you start eating again, you will be really really hungry, and you'll want to eat everything in sight, and that can be dangerous. You have to break the fast very slowly, eating simple natural foods in very small portions. And another thing to remember is that when you start eating again, you will feel very tired after each meal, as your body gets used to digesting again.

I personally probably wouldn't do another prolonged juice fast - although it was a positive experience, it was hard, and I've found fasting is harder as I've got older. And I did find breaking the fast hard - very hard to resist eating lots of food! - and I didn't do it as gradually as I should have, although I tried. And I really didn't like the taste in my mouth during the fast - a sort of fuzzy unpleasant taste. But I still do short partial fasts, because of the positive effects - and am now doing intermittent fasting, and am very encouraged by the recent research on fasting.

Interestingly, hunger isn't a problem when you fast for a prolonged time - your body goes into restoration mode, and you don't feel hungry. However, if you fast longer than 40 days, there will apparently come a point where you are suddenly very hungry, and this is the true 'starvation mode', and you need to eat. That is why it's recommended not to fast longer than 40 days. I did a lot of reading about fasting before and during my fast - there wasn't all the research that there is now available, and back then fasting seemed to be practically unheard of in the mainstream, but I found quite a few books and articles about people who had fasted, and the effects it had had - there was quite a lot of anecdotal evidence. Fasting is of course something that's been around for centuries, as it's a common religious observance, so some of the books I read were quite old.

Oh, and another thing I found was that, while I wasn't hungry during the fast, I was thinking about food a lot. Especially towards the end of the fast - I was baking lots of muffins to freeze, and preparing all sorts of foods for when my fast was finished. And I often dreamed about eating!

One very nice effect of the fast for me was that my skin cleared up - I had had quite bad acne, and had tried all kinds of things to get rid of it, none of which worked. But after the fast, my skin was great.

By the way, I didn't lose weight from fasting - well, obviously I lost weight while fasting, but I gained it back again. But I didn't need to lose weight - I was thin, and losing weight wasn't my reason for doing it. Apparently if you need to lose weight, then when you start eating again, your body resets itself at the weight it should be. But this may be hard if you are not able to control your hunger after you break the fast - honestly, that is the hardest part of the fast, to break it healthily and in a controlled, balanced way.

(Not trying to put you off - I think juice fasts are very positive, and want to encourage you to keep going. Just letting you know some stuff from my experience, so you're prepared, although you may well have heard a lot of this before! Feel free to add me or ask me any questions if you like.)
  • aimeelouwhite
    Options
    bumping for progress
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    bump
  • OliveDove18
    Options
    Please don't do this. My girlfriend wen't on a juice diet and ended up in the hospital, she also went into kidney failure because of it, your body can only take in so much when it comes to an excess of vitamins and minerals. I really encourage you to calorie count, exersize and work on weight loss slowly to ensure that you keep it off while staying healthy. It is your choice, I just want you to know the risks. p.s. my girlfriend is still on medication to help her kidneys, it has been 8 years. Please don't do it. :ohwell:
  • rosieh8781
    Options
    I have done many cleanses and juicing thru out some years...I would have started mfp with it, but am breastfeeding and can't. But anyways, I have done up to 17 days straight and it feels great, I lost usually 15 lbs and kept them off. I think we all have diffrent views of what is right and wrong in dieting....I have been feeling great calorie counting and finally excersising....I am not cutting any particular food group out, just basically making sure I dont go over the calorie intake...it is working out great

27905952.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • johnny_19
    johnny_19 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the naysayers and fear mongers. Just try it! It worked for me. Follow the directions and you will not get sick. If you do feel like you can do this simple little trick...start eating normal food again! Don't believe the hate!

Good luck!
  • gottaloveit7771
    Options
    Hey guys I have to make this short! I will be with out Internet for over a week so I'll update when I get back! Hope everyone is doing well as staying strong :)
  • lexshines
    Options
    I'm going to start, so hats off to you and those who have tried juicing. I think I want to ease into juicing, starting with replacing breakfast and lunch with juice. Will this be counterproductive? Also, I know it's best to juice and drink immediately, but working in an office makes that impossible. I'll have to bring my "lunch" to work. That's ok too right?

Thanks!
  • pink2lady
    pink2lady Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can make your juice for lunch that morning. Store in a tight dark container (no light can shin through) and fill a 16 oz. bottle to the top. Store in a cold place and shake before you drink. There are plenty of web sits that can guide you in the right direction for this juice fast detox. Do your research first, prior to starting you need to prepare your body for this. No coffee, No processed foods, No fast foods...Maybe make a big pot of just veggie soup and eat raw veggies and fruits for a snack (all suggestions). Good luck...I'm on day #8

1. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
    2. Forks over Knives
    3. Killer at "Large" These are (3) documentaries I suggest all my MFP friends to watch at your leisure on Netflex or rent if possible.
  • aimeelouwhite
    Options
    bumping for news
  • shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i have seen fat, sick and nearly dead. It was awesome! i also tried my first juice experience too! I loved it! I want to try juicing more, but right now I am in the middle of moving to my new command. So it is good to hear you are on the way to trying to be healthier for you and your family! good luck and keep updating!
  • aimeelouwhite
    Options
    Any news for us on how it is going for you? You'd be nearly 3 weeks in now!
  • missbridget21
    missbridget21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead a couple weeks ago and finally bought a juicer on amazon! I'm going to start my juice fast as soon as it comes in. I'm excited but a little nervous... I'm afraid it's going to be really hard sticking to juice for 30 days. I'd LIKE to juice for 30 days, but I'm not sure if that's realistic. I went to rebootyourlife.com and the plans they provide include eating food, which I'm not too keen on since I wanted to get the entire juicing experience, but I guess I'll go along with that plan so I'll have something to stick to... Anyone out there starting for the first time??
  • aguilark0814
    Options
    I just bought my juicer too! I love juice in the blender but it takes too much time. I need a good plan or at least juice recipes to get started. I would like to supplement breakfast and lunch with something healthy and to keep my energy going. So if I get some good recipes online and I see that they help, I'll share the recipes. Good luck on your fast!
  • arichiez
    Options
    I am just finishing a 40 day juice fast. I have lost 20 lbs on the juice fast. It has been a great experience for me to see how much you don't really need to eat. Our portion sizes are just too big. I am coming off the fast slow so soups and salads and fruits. I will probably still juice at least once a day. Try to write everything you juice so you know what you like and don't like. The first few days are the hardest juice more at first and then you can lower your amounts as you get used to it. Good Luck!!! It was great for me. Keep me posted.:smile: