My new obsession...Spinning!

Options
I took a Spin class for the first time last night and I am hooked! I was dripping sweat, my legs were killing and I loved it! Thinking I need a padded cushion for the seat though OUCH! Anyone else out there doing Spin classes?

Replies

• martintanz
    Options
    I have done it on and off over the years. If your butt is sore, get yourself some padded biking shorts. Generally, though, in time, your butt will get used to riding.
  • I enjoy Spinning, too. I would say it takes 3-4 classes of it before the seat gets more comfortable. If you can work through the pain of the seat, it gets better, I promise! Best of luck to you in Spinning, and in meeting your health goals!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    How long is a spin class? I have been interested in maybe trying it but I'm not really sure what to expect.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    yes, spin class is awesome!!! I would suggest getting padded biker shorts. Your assteroids will appreciate it!! Great job, keep it going! #BattleMode
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am afraid to try it. I have weak legs, so I am not sure I can keep up!!! But maybe someday I will work up the courage!!!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I took my first ever spin class on Tuesday! Yeah, my quads are super sore and my butt is bruised. I think I'll stick to running...
  • divamimi09
    divamimi09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello - yes....spinning is my cardio of choice. I got started over a year ago....hurt like heck...still does but in the best way possible. the butt soreness does ease up after a while. I even bought spinning shoes which clamp into the pedals....makes the ride smoother.... It's a great cario workout.....love it...and now am trying to get there 3 times a week for a good class. My Y has a combined spinning and toning/strength class which I'm going to check out...

Congrats and good luck!!!
  • thelms77
    thelms77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a spinning class yet but I do want to. I have been leary because I have watched a class and they are spinning like crazy. Don't know if I will be able to keep up!!
  • topgals
    topgals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    We've got new spin studio being built at my gym, can't wait!!!! Love 'Bridget Jones Diary' when she gets of the spin bike & her legs give way & she falls on the floor :-)))
  • divamimi09
    divamimi09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Classes are typically an hour long I think. However, when I first started out I would do what I could - 20 mins, half hour and then worked up to 1 hour. Most of the classes seem intense but you can adjust the tension on the bike for yourself.....it's great to push yourself but when just getting started, a nice ride with a little tension worked for me until i got up the courage and strength to push further... Good Luck!!! :)
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Spin is my favorite exercise class as well! I would recommend getting some padded shorts. I have Pearl Izumi and they are great!
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love spinning!! I go to at least 4 classes a week and I get such a high when they are over and I am drenched in sweat! Some people bring their own padded seat cover but I just got used to it and don't bother. Keep at it, it's a huge calorie burner and loads of fun!!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It took only one spin class for me to be hooked! They are incredible workouts and they have even helped with my running too!
    As for the seats, look into getting some padded biking shorts, they have worked for me.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I take a spin class once per week. I try to get a variety of cardio workouts instead of just running.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love spinning, but don't do it nearly as often as I used to years ago. I am biased because the first class I took I had an awesome instructor with the best music EVER; no instructor has lived up to it since. That's how I fell in love with it. Your butt will get used to it and you'll get better each time. Just remember to challenge yourself. You really get out of a spinning class what you put into it. Sounds like you put in a lot! It amazes me to see folks in class not sweating.

Spinning also got me interested in cycling and I eventually started doing that too. Have fun!!

PS - padded shorts are for wimps! LOL :-P
  • erinw1011
    erinw1011 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Padded bike shorts, sounds good! The instructor said you get used to it but it really hurts! My class was an hour and she said don't worry about keeping up but I did pretty well. There was a woman in there who was going slower and didn't have her resistance as high, so you can go at your own pace, highly recommended. I was completely drenched afterwards and it felt amazing!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love spinning too! In fact, it's what got me to re-join my gym almost a year ago. I missed it so much! I typically only do one class a week though because I like to do all different kinds of cardio. We have 45 minute classes @ 6am but later in the day the classes are 60 minutes.

I agree with the previous response that for anyone starting out, or wanting to try it , to keep the tension low until you get used to the class. You are still moving so still getting a workout but if you overdo it your first time you might not want to go back. I wasn't a big fan after my first class but I gave it a second try and was hooked!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    That is great! I love spinning and the workout itself is amazing! YES, get some padded shorts or seat until you are bottom is used to it :flowerforyou:
  • NicolaMapp
    NicolaMapp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my favourite thing to do when the weather isn't great - amazing workout, but you do only get as much as you put in, so really go for it!!! Most noticeable changes in my thighs and hips from doing spin!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I've been spinning since 2006 and it transformed me from a couch potato to an athlete. I now ride the spin bike as well as the roads and trails. I actually bought a spin bike and use it often. I've logged 2,000 miles since January (mostly cycling, although some of those are running miles.)

Your butt will adjust as you get stronger. Padded shorts are great (I normally wear them if I plan on riding 90 minutes or longer). The padded seats typically aren't that great long-term, as the puffy padding breaks down quickly and you end up sitting on the metal part at the bottom of the seat. If you need something, invest in the shorts.

The clipless shoes are great too, if you're planning on sticking with it. They allow you to engage more muscles since you're lifting as well as pushing.

Happy Spinning!!!