wedding dress disaster

Options

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    WTF if my soon-to-be MIL buys me a sew-it-yourself gown in pieces I can guarantee you her next Mother's Day gift will be in pieces too. Or maybe a freakin paint by numbers. Get a different dress. One already assembled. Jeez, there is a reason IKEA doesn't do bridal. And good luck with your future MIL she sounds like a piece of work!

Sorry I'm not trying to be a B but if you buy someone a project to sew for the most important dress of their life when they don't sew it isn't a gift. It's being passive aggressive. It's like buying a scale for someone not on a diet. Or a cookbook for someone who doesn't cook. 9 times out of 10 it's an insult. And who says you'll like the fit once it's sewn together? Even if it's "your size," does that mean every dress in that size is gonna fit well? Hardly. Does she want you to look like crap on your wedding day? Some people are very crafty and talented when it comes to being a seamstress but that takes a lot of practice. I am very crafty but I wouldn't sew my own gown.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that wedding dresses are super hard to make, even for a seasoned seamstress.

It depends on the dress really. Some are very easy to do if you know what you're doing. In general, the prettier the dress, the more difficult.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Either learn to sew or give it to someone who knows. Do you expect us to teach you in the span of this thread?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Here's an honest reply from someone who can sew well. Take it to a local tailor. If you honestly don't know anything about sewing there is nothing we can do over the internet to help you with your situation. This shouldn't be your first project. You could look for sewing classes and learn the basics, but only experience will help keep your dress from looking like a disaster.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am bit disgusted at the comments some of you guys made, just ugly. Did she ask you for your opinion or nasty comments??? No, she was asking for help! So if you are not here to help than take your comments and ugly attitude somewhere else! The OP clearly doesn't know what process goes into sewing, and you can not hold it against her, geeze! Give her some god damn credit, she wants to do something none of you dare to do, these sort of nasty comments are just completely unnecessary.

"Take it to a seamstress" IS help.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this thread, it has really made my day. I can't stop laughing and I genuinely hope this was made as a joke or a troll attempt.
  • andreamkelly
    Options
    When I got married 30 years ago, my loving grandmother bought me my wedding dress (on sale for less than $250) while I was in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a Navy Ship. It was a size 12... I was a size 16 --- I took it to a seamstress and paid $300.00 to have it altered so I could wear it on our special day. (The seamstress also made me a veil to match....)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    7ed80db5-0749-40bf-8d8e-0a4404fb0e8a.jpg
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    As *****y as this response will probably make you...... I second the idea of finding a good seamstress. Give her the pieces and ask her to sit down and either fix it or help you fix it (if being involved in sewing it is that important to you).

I thought the whole 'bridzilla' thing was a myth..... go figure.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I think it is sweet to want to sew your own dress. I made mine from a Vogue pattern (that was a nightmare) but the finished product was awesome.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I took fashion design, and me thinks it's a little too complicated to explain here. Take it to a seamstress!
  • crimsoncat
    Options
    Gosh some of you really need to wind your necks in and stop being so nasty to the poor girl x

^^^^ agree completely

Yes it's hard and so what if she gets halfway through and gives in or makes a stunning dress because she might have a talent.

I would rather be ambitious and take on new ideas than never say 'yeah why not'

Every credit to her and some of you (although you won't) should feel ashamed!

I agree. I don't think that is appropriate nor called for to abuse someone who didn't understand the undertaking it would be to make her own dress. To white knight from my soap box a bit more I would ask everyone to remember that there are PEOPLE on the other side of these avatars. Just because you cannot see them doesn't mean you have free licence to be cruel to them. Many people have been bullied in their lives and know the pain of having other taut you over things you cannot help. I would put it to all involved that we do not want to personify this. We can be better than that on this forum. We all are mature adults and know the "if you have nothing nice to say..." rule. I ask that we please take a moment to remember it and put it into practice.
  • crimsoncat
    Options
    7ed80db5-0749-40bf-8d8e-0a4404fb0e8a.jpg

:heart:
  • crimsoncat
    Options
    Wow, I am bit disgusted at the comments some of you guys made, just ugly. Did she ask you for your opinion or nasty comments??? No, she was asking for help! So if you are not here to help than take your comments and ugly attitude somewhere else! The OP clearly doesn't know what process goes into sewing, and you can not hold it against her, geeze! Give her some god damn credit, she wants to do something none of you dare to do, these sort of nasty comments are just completely unnecessary.

I believe she meant the comments that went something to the tune of "oh my gosh you're so stupid for buying this without knowing what you're doing LOL". The seamstress comments were very credible especially since many of us do not live nearby and she will likely need a hands-on explanation.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The "pieces" it is in is most likely from the pattern that it was cut out of. So basically if you can find the pattern that it was cut from then you might be able to get it sown back together. As to if it will be the right size or shaped properly for your body, well.. That is a shot in the dark sweets. I'd honestly get someone who knows how to sow to take a look at it. Like a puzzle they might be able to lay it all out and sort out which piece belongs where. You could also take a shot at that if you wanted to.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I believe she meant the comments that went something to the tune of "oh my gosh you're so stupid for buying this without knowing what you're doing LOL". The seamstress comments were very credible especially since many of us do not live nearby and she will likely need a hands-on explanation.

Nobody called her stupid.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Nobody called her stupid.

Mind you SOME people may have thought it. Certainly not me, though.
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about all the negativity. Clearly, all you need to do is staple all the pieces together and fashion it into a pseudo-toga. Just make the wedding theme "Ancient Rome". Problem solved.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Okay, master of the obvious comment...wedding dresses are really complicated. Really really complicated. So your best bet is to find a seamstress/tailor to help you out. Maybe call a dry cleaner or bridal store for referrals (depending on the size of town you live in). This being said, it could get pricey (do you even know what size the dress is?). It could quite possibly be cheaper to purchase a ready made gown.

for what it would cost to have a professional sew it together and taylor it, she could get a brand new dress.
  • skellyness
    skellyness Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    :o