Running and coyotes

Options

Replies

• dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Don't say "meep meep"...that attracts them.

:laugh:

that was awesome!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Did you all read the recent Runner's World feature about the brothers who were brutally attacked by dogs during a dessert run out west? it was terrifying. They were lucky they survived
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Run with a buddy... then when you see a coyote, trip them and run faster.
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I shoot at them
    why shoot at them in their territory lol seems sleazy.

Yeah, because taking your chances and letting them eat your leg off is a better idea.:laugh: I would shoot AT them and if they came close enough, they would have a bullet in their head.

Of course, in our area, rabies is running like wild fire. Everything is atacking anything and everything. So I have become a shoot now, ask questions later type of person.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    Options

He's right. Whatever you do, don't yell "meep meep" that's like blood in the water with a shark infested pool.

I think running with a buddy like so many people have suggested, as well as an airhorn. Or the pepper spray. But I think the air horn is your best bet. If you are in trouble you can blow it and not only will it more than likely scare off those little *kitten* but it'll alert people in the surrounding area to your distress.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've lived around coyotes (and wolves, bears,etc) all of my life. I know of a case of a coyote attacking a small child but I have never known them to attack adults. They do come close out of curiousity though.

I wouldn't dare to say that you shouldn't be cautious, you should, but I think the likelihood of them attacking you is fairly small. Perhaps you could carry bear spray (pepper spray) just in case. Just remember, if you ever need to use it, they have to be almost right on you for it to be effective.

Yes, don't be afraid to go outside; it's wonderful out there, but just always be aware of your surroundings. It always makes me shake my head when I see people running in wilderness areas with headphones on; doesn't seem smart. Don't be afriad of coyotes, yell or run at them and they will run off in the other direction.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I worry about critters while I run, as well.......... Unfortunately, thats part of living outside of the city.

Coyotes are generally more afraid of you, than you should be of them. As others said they rarely travel in packs, and even so it would take a pretty big pack to be a threat. Still scary and still not something I would EVER want to encounter. Maybe carry "runners mace/ bear spray"? If nothing else, it may ease your mind.

I would welcome the occasional coyote- where I run there are bears, wolves and mountain lions.......... Yikes. Im scared when I hear rustling, but it hasnt stopped me yet. I have looked into bear spray and am heavily considering it, though.

Good luck and safe running!!
  • ogriffix
    Options
    Just run with someone that is slower than you. Then you don't have to outrun the coyotes. :laugh:
    LMFAO!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Did you all read the recent Runner's World feature about the brothers who were brutally attacked by dogs during a dessert run out west? it was terrifying. They were lucky they survived

FYI: feral dogs are much more dangerous than coyotes. Even dogs than are pets can pack up and get into all kinds of trouble.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Coyotes pups are usually born spring summer time. Right about fall they go off on their own and some can be aggressive towards humans because they have not learnd how to hunt well and have not learned a whole lot about humans.

I had three surround me in the dark on a hunting trip two years ago. I was standing at the back of my truck getting my stuff together in the dark. They walked up the road and spaced themselves around me.

Didnt work out so good for two of them. : )
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado in a ten mile radius we get at least one runner attack every two weeks, more for dogs and people with dogs

So much for saying "find somebody's dog to run with"! Maybe a couple dogs? I have 3 big dogs - and when I go out walking and running - one will ALWAYS stay at my side - they do this on their own, I have never made them stay by me, while the other two "hunt" in the ditches and fields (I don't live in town)....last week they killed a skunk 20 feet in front of me -- shook it right out of its skin! Would be interesting to see what they'd do if we encountered a coyote! We have plenty around, they just avoid people (they will answer you if you howl at night though --- fun!)

Sorry - no suggestions for you, other than if real nervous, dont' run at dusk or dawn - that is when most creatures start moving.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    They attack people with dogs? Man, that is not like coyotes at all. Are they diseased? Food source gone?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    They attack people with dogs? Man, that is not like coyotes at all. Are they diseased? Food source gone?

Coyotes are very aggressive towards dogs. There is a hunting method called "decoy dogs" where you bring a dog with you to attract the coyotes in and then shoot them. Look it up on Youtube. Having a dog with you is not any kind of protection IMO.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    forget the bear mace, just go for a good ole' steel mace, this will also work your arms when bashing in their puny little coyote skulls, dual wield them to enhance coordination and conditioning further. Your welcome.
  • shadoewz
    Options
    I bet coyotes don't like pepper spray either.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    I live in an extremely rural area... on the far end of a farm nonetheless. I carry a handheld pellet gun. It won't do anymore damage then a bb gun, but if necessary, I have it (and only if necessary...so please don't hate on me). However, I try to avoid running in the dusk/dawn/dark if able, but due to work and school schedules that isn't always possible. I also have asked others to join me and no one will. Keep a light going, as that is usually what keeps them fended off and the only time I have ever seen ours get aggressive is after a new pack of pups is born. They are trying to feed their babies, they get a bit more courageous. I have never had to use the pellet pistol, but HAVE had to use the maglight in their face, raise my arms, and yell. First step is to STOP running. Good luck to ya and know you are not alone.
  • paulaz43
    paulaz43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    that's terrible, but thank you for the laugh this afternoon! :) (In response to the comment to run with someone slower than you)
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Some of the poking fun is cracking fun and I love all the serious suggestions. My 7 year old gave me his coyote whistle and I'll be snagging the hubs head lamp before my run tomorrow.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options

oh my gosh! i'm dying here! i know this was a serious question, but that was seriously hilarious! (as was finding someone slower than you to run with)

the coyotes around here are shy. they turn tail and run if they see a person. i'd suggest mace, though.. just in case.