Bee Pollen Diet Supplements..Fact or Fiction?

Options
Hi...I've been hearing alot about using Bee Pollen for weight loss. A few friends have been on it for a month or so..
& have been claiming many pounds lost without even exercising. One aquaintance has posted on her facebook page
that she went from a size 16 to a 10 in four weeks.

Not sure to whether to believe all the hype that's being claimed..with losing the weight & increase in energy ..etc

I was hoping someone on MFP might have heard about it . Is it safe ? How about side effects ?
Any information is most appreciated.

Replies

• Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I have actually been taking it for a week now. Not for weight loss but it is supposed to help with allergies. I dont know that it has helped with weight loss, but I feel that it does help keep my energy up thru the day.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the Zi Xiu Tang?
  • wendypchef
    wendypchef Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add it to my smoothies and find it increases energy, I have not heard about it being used for weight loss. I'm really suspicious of any weight loss supplement.
  • tempestrising
    Options
    sorry for the late reply..went off the electronic grid for a few days...felt good :smile:

Yes..it is the Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen supplement that I've been hearing about.
    I was hitting such a plateau that I contemplated taking something to help jump
    start my weight loss.
    But I realize that my change in eating & exercise doesn't really mean
    I will see those numbers go down. It's more about the feeling I get from how I can work out
    harder & longer. Also seeing my clothes fit better is a plus too.

So I would consider taking the bee pollen if I felt it would help with increased energy.
    Right now I have an abundance so I am good but that could change too.. we shall see.
    Thanks so much for all your help. :happy:
  • QMHayden
    QMHayden Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It does help with allergies. I also have heard of peoples weight loss and energy but have not experienced that myself. It suppresses the appetite somewhat, but side effects are frequent stools and flatulence. Some what like a laxative effect but apparently this varies with the user and their response to it. I have heard many great things about the product. They recommended that u don't diet or monitor intake, recommends to eat greasy/fatty foods and no exercise. Bizarre. I'm not sure how it works but there are many people swearing by it. Google it, there are many reviews available on the web.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One aquaintance has posted on her facebook page that she went from a size 16 to a 10 in four weeks.

I'll bet she was also eating at a calorie deficit.

So fr the only things I've read extolling the virtues of bee pollen come from those selling it.

People have been known to suffer severe allergic reactions to it.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/05/22/bee-pollen-anaphylaxis.html
  • kbrooks323
    kbrooks323 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have heard wonders about Bee Pollen supplements as well. I would love to hear a real success story. So far I've only read the reviews from the companies online but you never can tell what is a genuine review anymore!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I tried the Zi Xiu Tang supplement and it did nothing for me. Everyone reacts differently.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    This is my experience with bee pollen...

About 5 years ago, before I even really caring about my diet or fitness level, I started taking bee pollen (the real stuff) because it was supposed to help with allergies. I developed severe, to the point of ER visits, abdominal pain. Never once did I, or any medical professional I was seeing, link the pain to the bee pollen. The pain was bad enough that two vicodin didn't help with the pain. I was out of commission for weeks. At some point I, unknowingly, stopped taking the bee pollen and eventually the pain stopped. Again no one linked the two. About a year ago my seasonal allergies got very bad again and I remembered the bee pollen and how it supposedly could help with allergies. I took some one morning and within hours that mysterious pain was back. That was when I figured out what had caused the pain all those years ago.

I personally would not take a bee pollen supplement, but that's just me...
  • kbrooks323
    kbrooks323 Posts: 22
    Options
    wow-- thank you for the honesty. I have heard some other negative things about the pills. I'll stay away, thanks!
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    One aquaintance has posted on her facebook page that she went from a size 16 to a 10 in four weeks.

I'll bet she was also eating at a calorie deficit.

So fr the only things I've read extolling the virtues of bee pollen come from those selling it.

People have been known to suffer severe allergic reactions to it.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/05/22/bee-pollen-anaphylaxis.html

That is a stupid article written by a drug dealer!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust any brand name bee pollen, it's all the same! Here's an unbiased review of it:
    http://www.foodmatters.tv/Health_Resources/Bee_Superfoods
  • sarahesterly83
    sarahesterly83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know this is a bit late, but I have been taking the Bee Pollen (pill form) for a week now. I was already dieting and exercising before but since taking it, I have been less hungry ( a lot less). I have had more energy and I have lost 5 pounds. I also started taking it the day of my period and before I took it I felt really bloated, that almost completely went away a few hours after taking the pill. The only negative side effect I have had is dry mouth. Dry mouth is horrendous but it could be because I am not drinking enough water. I have had nothing but great results from taking it and I would recommend as long as you are not allergic to bee stings.

Everybody is different. All my co-workers are taking it too. That is why I started. They all have success stories, even those that dont diet or exercise, and it is selling like wildfire. It works for me and I will continue taking it to reach my goal. Hope that helps.
  • I sometimes take a teaspoon of royal jelly honey suppose to be good,,
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I take the real thing - local bee pollen and local honey - to help with allergies. I am not allergic to it, so no problems to report. I have not taken it for weight loss (nor would I) and have not seen that as an effect, but it definitely has made my seasonal allergies less troublesome.

I wouldn't bother with anything that wasn't locally produced.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I bought some years ago when they used to run an infomercial for Balive ( I wonder if this company is still around) It claimed to cure everything and lift the brain fog. The only thing it cured me of was about $100/mo.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    There's no magic pills for weight loss just hard work and being honest to yourself.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It does help with allergies. I also have heard of peoples weight loss and energy but have not experienced that myself. It suppresses the appetite somewhat, but side effects are frequent stools and flatulence. Some what like a laxative effect but apparently this varies with the user and their response to it. I have heard many great things about the product. They recommended that u don't diet or monitor intake, recommends to eat greasy/fatty foods and no exercise. Bizarre. I'm not sure how it works but there are many people swearing by it. Google it, there are many reviews available on the web.
    I take bee pollen every day. At least a rounded tablespoon. I do not get any ill side effects like you. Perhaps you are allergic to it, or it was some other thing that was causing the irritability of your bowels.
  • inf4m0u5l4dy
    Options
    I have been using bellavi tm bee pollen formula for a year now. I take 2 tablets once a day. I have never noticed any side effects while taking this product. They do explain that in the first week or 2 u will have frequent bathroom visits as ur body gets use to the product and cleanses your system. You must drink alot of fluids while taking this product but if you do that you are fine. Otherwise you will experience dry mouth. I lost 10lbs on this product. It curbs my apatite and actually has me eating healthier smaller meals threw out the day. I am a small woman so the 10lbs I lost was perfect for me but I know others who have lost much more. The only negative side effects I have heard about from researching this and other bee pollen products is an allergic reaction. As with any supplement or product you should always do research and test it out first. I swear by this product and have turned many people onto it as they have ALL had great results and continue taking it. I highly recommend it!!!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    xi zui tang probably contains zero bee pollen. The FDA put out a consumer alert about it this past October--here's what it says:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers not to purchase or use “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules,” also referred to as “Zi Xiu Tang Beauty, Face & Figure Capsule,” a product promoted and sold for weight loss and body reshaping. This product is promoted on www.zixiutangsuccess.com, and possibly sold in some retail stores.

FDA laboratory analysis confirmed that “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules” contains sibutramine. Sibutramine is a controlled substance that was removed from the market in October 2010 for safety reasons. The product poses a threat to consumers because sibutramine is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, or stroke. This product may also interact, in life-threatening ways, with other medications a consumer may be taking.

Consumers should stop using this product immediately and throw it away. Consumers who have experienced any negative side effects should consult a health care professional as soon as possible.
    Health care professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Just to reitierate: there is no safe, magic pill for weight loss