Drinking calories in beer

Options
I've been dieting and exercising for the past three months and I managed to lose 18 pounds. I used to drink a lot of beer and that's how I got overweight. I knew that to lose weight I had to stop drinking beer, which I did for about 3-4 weeks when I started exercising and dieting in July. Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again, but instead of drinking every day, I would only drink 1-2 times a week, and drink only two bottles instead of four or five that I used to. I only drink microbrews and a 22 oz bottle packs 400-500 calories so even two bottles can disrupt one's caloric intake quite a bit.

What I ended up doing is, on the days when I plan on drinking I eat less and I allocate 1,000 calories for beer. It seems to work well for me and I am curious what others are doing about their alcohol calories and what strategies work and don't work for them.

Replies

• YoukilledJosh
    Options
    EAT SALAD ALL DAY DRINK BEER ALL NIGHT
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I eat less during the week so I can drink on the weekends. I used to tell my friends to give me a days notice before we went out drinking if it was going to be during the week so I could go for a longer run that day to earn an extra beer or two.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - I definitely still make room for my beer. I just limit it to once or twice a week and save the cals for it that day. If I know I'm really going for it that night, I even save the cals for it earlier in the week (for example, if I want to go out one night and have 4 12-oz beers, obviously saving 600+ calories out of that day's 1300-1400, which is my goal, isn't realistic - even if I did manage to only eat 700 cals, drinking on that empty of a stomach would be a disaster lol).

So, in a nutshell, I save calories for it that day, or even throughout the week to make room for it.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    I allow myself a beer (gluten free bc I can't have gluten anymore) when my caloric intake is below my target. It's a little treat for myself for doing well the whole day but my beer is much lower in cals than yours. However you probably lose alot more in exercise than I do bc I just started this process about 6 weeks ago (I'm new here but was doing weight watchers before).

I think if you love something, giving it up completely isn't going to work long-term. You have to fit it back into your life when you are ready. Sounds like you've already found your balance!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :huh: beer....puh leeez i trry to save mine for the good stuff... like rum,vodka, bourbon, and whisky:drinker:
  • frj85
    frj85 Posts: 62
    Options
    This is my problem...I used to drink 2-3 a day, cut that out, cut the Friday drinking out completely, but Saturdays....not good day, usually 15-20 through out the whole day...YIKES!
  • davidsgirl145
    davidsgirl145 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I drink wine, whisky sours, martinis, etc... as long as it stays in my calorie goal I do just fine! Hooray for booze! :drinker:
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I exercise. If I want a 500 calorie beer, I either need to eat 500 calories less or burn 500 calories more. Rather than doing one or the other, I would prefer to eat 250 calories less and burn off 250 calories more.
  • MelBristol
    Options
    *** Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again*** Wow this sounds really sad! I probably average drinking alcohol once a month so can't have any input here, apologies!
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love beer.
  • frj85
    frj85 Posts: 62
    Options
    *** Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again*** Wow this sounds really sad! I probably average drinking alcohol once a month so can't have any input here, apologies!

I think what he means, would be the same for me....All my friends drink beer, we go out we drink, we have dinner, we drink, all my socializing would be gone and I dont think that would be healthy either...SO be the one who sits home and eats and gets fat but has no social life, or be the one that sits home trying to get skinny and has no social life, or be the one that watched what they do, but have a social life still, just have to watch the calories
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

I think what he means, would be the same for me....All my friends drink beer, we go out we drink, we have dinner, we drink, all my socializing would be gone and I dont think that would be healthy either...SO be the one who sits home and eats and gets fat but has no social life, or be the one that sits home trying to get skinny and has no social life, or be the one that watched what they do, but have a social life still, just have to watch the calories

My friends drink all the time. I only do on special occasions, but I still always go out with them! Just because you're not drinking doesn't mean you have to stay home.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    *** Then I realized that my quality of life suffered greatly, so I started drinking again*** Wow this sounds really sad!

Social life is part of it, but I love the taste of hoppy beer. I don't find it sad. I would miss drinking coffee just as much.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Check my diary, I average one craft beer a night and have been doing this for about 18 months. I make room for it, in fact it was the reason I started exercising - to earn those calories so I can still hit my goal. As a result, I usually save 500-600ish calories out of ~2500 as I'm only drinking one bomber most nights. 1000 is quite a bit and I'd probably be very hungry but hey whatever works for you. I've logged almost 600 beers in this time frame and lost 68lbs.
  • MelBristol
    Options

Surely there are more choices than you listed above!
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Check my diary, I average one craft beer a night and have been doing this for about 18 months... I've logged almost 600 beers in this time frame and lost 68lbs.
    A truly inspirational story!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I cycle my calories, and intake a surplus on days that I lift, so I try to keep my alcohol intake out of my lifting days whenever I can maintain the willpower to do so, because having alcohol available in your system will almost entirely stop your body from burning fat for energy. That having been said, I'd rather be a little soft in the center than eternally sober.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    wow Dope that's AWESOME!
  • cdmalmrose
    cdmalmrose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy my beer or occasional mixed drink.

I try to plan ahead for social occasions where I know I will want to drink and I also keep Non Alcoholic beer around just in case I want to "indulge". Contrary to popular belief there are some pretty decent ones out there and only worth about 50 calories