Push Up Challenge Anyone?

Options

Replies

• cxzawerf
    cxzawerf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am with you guys. Kick a** arms/shoulders/back here we come!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options

2) Try a negative push up: thats where you start at the top of a push up (not modified) and then lower your self down for a 5 or 10 count. As soon as you reach the floor, boost yourself up and do it again. I did this type of work a bunch of times in order to be able to do pull ups

THIS. IS. GENIUS! I've been trying to figure out a way to work up to pull-ups at home and this is perfect! Thanks so much for the info!
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!

Awesome! Looking forward to starting up tomorrow!
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    I am with you guys. Kick a** arms/shoulders/back here we come!

Awesome! Welcome to the club!
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    I'm totally in!!!

Great! Looking forward to getting started and getting motivation for the work!
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I might modify it and just see if I can do 10,000 in the month of October. that would be a good one? maybe 11,000 in November and 12,000 in december, january would be easy with a thousand though. haha

I did 8000 over a Christmas break once. Just pump out sets of 40, over and over and over.
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    I might modify it and just see if I can do 10,000 in the month of October. that would be a good one? maybe 11,000 in November and 12,000 in december, january would be easy with a thousand though. haha

I did 8000 over a Christmas break once. Just pump out sets of 40, over and over and over.

WOW! Amazing! Are you in for this challenge?
  • Elbee1
    Elbee1 Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    That much work doing the same exercise is a great way to get repetitive stress injuries. Not for me thanks.

I am tempted to take part in this challenge but am scared of this. Hmmm.
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    That much work doing the same exercise is a great way to get repetitive stress injuries. Not for me thanks.

There is the possibility of injury in ANY exercise, repetitive or not. The idea is to get people to try something hard for them; if you want to start at one, and be up to 31 by October 31, that's great! Pushups is the name of the game - do what you can, and what is a challenge!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options

There is the possibility of injury in ANY exercise, repetitive or not. The idea is to get people to try something hard for them; if you want to start at one, and be up to 31 by October 31, that's great! Pushups is the name of the game - do what you can, and what is a challenge!

Doing something difficult and challenging is fine, but rest days are needed for the body to recover. This progression does not allow that at all. The cumulative number of push-ups by the end of the month is something like 2025 pushups. That will take its toll on you body, especially with no recovery days built in.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Doing something difficult and challenging is fine, but rest days are needed for the body to recover. This progression does not allow that at all. The cumulative number of push-ups by the end of the month is something like 2025 pushups. That will take its toll on you body, especially with no recovery days built in.

Guys, just do the hundred push up program here http://hundredpushups.com/ if you want to do this challenge in a safe way. It consists of 5 sets 3 days a week with rest days in between. There is no need to follow the OP exactly, but you can still participate in an October push up challenge with him and others. I agree the muscles need recovery time, so fine...just put days in between. It isn't rocket science.
  • swweis
    swweis Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    Setting up a group for everyone who wants to do some push up challenging. I'll have the days outlined, and we can use it to report our progress and give each other encouragement!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm in. As long as we have all day to do the challenge, it should be fine.
  • JAMProphet
    Options
    Push Up Challenge Group is started! Join in!
  • nyfalcon
    nyfalcon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in also. I never do pushups so this will be interesting.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Our YMCA is doing a pushup challenge that ends on Oct. 20. Can you give me some pointers on how to get started. I've tried the modified pushup (on my knees) and do OK, but how do I do a full-blown REAL pushup. I don't think I could even do 1. I honestly don't know how to do a pushup.

I started doing them on my bay window sill, it's about 18 inches off the floor and after a while I became strong enough to do a regular push up. I can do about 20 now, I'm very proud :)
  • ConnieM20
    ConnieM20 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    ill go for it
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will give this a go
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've only recently been able to achieve an actual push up and can get in about 17-20 before I colapse so I'm in. :)