40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I am 47 will be 48 on June 7 and I consider myself pretty cool!!! LOL! I have reached My "goal weight " around October 2011 doing Jillian 30 day shred,Ripped in 30and running and riding the stationary bike. But the scale lies!! I have been strength training for about 5 months now, I am down one pants size to a size 2 but gained 3lbs!! Very happy with my lifting progress! My one year anniversary coming up in 13 days! I want to live a life that is quality filled!!

Totally cool. I reached my goal in the middle of my 50th year. I've been maintaining for over a year. I'm living my dream. My before and after pics are on the first page of http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/749284-what-is-your-heaviest-lightest-now-goal-part-2

I will be 52 soon and have never been more lean and fit ever in my life.

Yes you have to put away the scale now. I don't bother anymore. Just keep exercising and eat within maintenance budget and nothing else really matters. Because of our age it's nice to get a DXA scan once a year and it will tell you your bone density as well as body composition. It is cool because it tells you where the fat is in all your body parts (not that you have any control over it). Mine is less than 12% and only .06 lbs of visceral fat (pretty much 0). This was good to know because females like me who have had kids, for some reason you still "feel fat" around the tummy, well it's just your internal organs, that is how a women is typically shaped. It helped me to know scientifically there is no fat there. But the best news is the bone density if you've been lifting. At 51.5 years old I had the bone density of a atletic 30 year old. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting keeps you young I don't know what is!

Wow, impressive!
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and have reached my goal and now trying to maintain. For me that's the hardest part. Anyone out there have any suggestions on how to curb carb cravings? I'm fine as long as I don't eat any but if I try to have just a little I can't seem to stop. I actually have physical reactions to wanting more carbs! Sounds crazy but it's true. By the way, I am 5'2" and stay between 94 and 99 lbs. Any help on how to stay here is appreciated.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,941 Member
    Options
    mammie - I control carb-cravings by avoiding "white" carbs, frankly. When TOM comes to town, then I'm doomed for a couple of days, and I just let it ride. But, after that, I'm back on the "no bread, rice, pasta" train.

(And, I don't want to hear ANYTHING about how "good" brown rice or whole wheat pasta is - for me, they aren't the same - I don't like their taste, and I'll just savour the carbs that I want, knowing that every now and again I can indulge, but then that is IT.)

I believe there is research out there that actually says ingesting processed carbs leads to even greater cravings for those carbs....

doggie - your poor ears! That's all I can say, lol!

sdereski - I can't WAIT to hear what you REALLY think of Stage 1, NROL4W, now that you've got the program down pat!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I am hoping for a nice run outside tomorrow morning. If the weather holds, I plan on a 9 mile run. May go further, but it will be a starting point.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Beeps, good job on getting the cardio and lifting in.

Californiagirl...You are amazing!! I had read your blog and saw your pictures a while ago and was super impressed! I have just turned 52 and seeing you and what you have done with your body makes me realize that it is possible for me...well, if I can stay out of the kitchen. :tongue:

scribb - good luck on your upcoming half marathon!! That's exciting. If you have the opportunity to run Boston, do it. I wish every runner could experience the Boston Marathon!!! It's a MUST!:drinker:

Got my lifting in again today. I think I'd better read over the book. I skimmed over it and went to the workouts. But...I am not sure I am doing enough. Is stage 1 of NROL4W only take about 20 - 25 minutes?

I ran 3 miles after - that was tough today. Plan is to run tomorrow.

Have a great run tomorrow
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Oh...hi! I don't think I've been here before. I just turned 44, so I guess that makes me part of the club, right? :bigsmile:
  • Thundermtn
    Options
    42... woot.. .Did I finally make it into a cool club?
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and planning to reach my goal weight by my next birthday in June 2013. That's 39 kg I need to lose in the next 35 weeks and 5 days :)
  • sirthickness
    Options
    45 now, hoping to hit my goal of 175ish by my 46th b-day in January. Maybe then I'll be cool.
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hey beeps, thanks for the info. I do really well except it seems 1 day a week I get terrible cravings. I guess it's not too bad since I get right back on track but these physical reactions are horrible. My throat actually feels very tight when I even start to think about carbs. That must be from being on atkins for 5 1/2 years prior to now. I will try to avoid the white carbs but problem is I love to bake. Guess I need a new hobby,lol!
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    42 and will definitely say that my 40's so far have been the best. I would never go back to 20's or 30's. I look better now!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,941 Member
    Options
    I did my month-end photos and measurements. The photos don't show much change. Poop. But, the measurements do! I'm down 0.75" on my natural waist and 1.5" on my belly-button waist. Down 1" on my hips.

So, NROL4Abs is working really well for me....that, and eating less, for sure.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this thread. Wifey and I are 45. I am cool by default. She is the cool, sexy one. I just tag along. Friend us both if you like. She is RACKIE515.
  • atulas
    atulas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am on my 3rd year of being 39.... so technically I can still be a cool kid if I want. :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    42... woot.. .Did I finally make it into a cool club?

You sure did bud. :wink:
  • sdereski
    Options
    I'm 42 and took my 16yo daughter to a Linkin Park concert. She's never flown, so we flew from KC to Indy for it, rented a car, hotel. We had a great time. Mega cool points! :)

Mega cool points for sure!! WTG dad. :happy:
  • sdereski
    Options
    I did my month-end photos and measurements. The photos don't show much change. Poop. But, the measurements do! I'm down 0.75" on my natural waist and 1.5" on my belly-button waist. Down 1" on my hips.

So, NROL4Abs is working really well for me....that, and eating less, for sure.

WTG Beeps!!:drinker:
    I did the entire workout on Friday - yeah, I was whipped! it took me an hour, which makes more sense! :laugh:
    I'm glad, cause I feel like I am getting a great body workout! So, starting week 1 again.
  • kenjancef
    kenjancef Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    47 here, reached my goal last week... does that get me past the velvet rope?? lol...

By the way, so inspired by all of you.. :)
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite 40 yet, but I'm less than a year away so I'm putting myself here. Hello all :)
  • sdereski
    Options
    Welcome to all the newcomers. Please come back again and continue to post.
    kenjancef - congrats on meeting your goal. Fantastic!
    gingerveg - you are most welcome young lady. :happy: