WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2012

1567769jhzjt0q0ze.gif

:flowerforyou: Welcome to the most supportive and encouraging family of women you will ever meet. The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for September?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you chosen for October?

:flowerforyou: It is never too late to reinvent you life and make the changes you have been thinking about.

:bigsmile: Start today to do something different and you will be amazed with the results.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for October
*yoga once a week
*walk with hubby three times a week
*say “OK”---be agreeable
*stay in the moment
*Be Barbie

Replies

• LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Just wanted to check in . Working another day and then I have Tuesday off. Barbie, was able to share with us the "now is now" info from her line dancing at the senior home. It is amazing how God teaches me lessons right when they need to be learned.

Yesterday, I was extremely tired and got into the Halloween candy in the evening. Went back to my old mentality of not caring much about what I ate for the evening. Once I settled down to the computer I opened my Facebook to find at the top of the page that my friend had died of breast cancer. Her name is Kathy. She was diagnosed when we were in preschool with our children. She fought courageously for 11 years. She always put her family and friends first. She was an amazing woman, who leaves behind 3 teenage children and her husband. She was in her 40"s.
    This put me back on track as it made me realize that "now is now" and I need to be as nurturing and loving to this one body that I have, so that I can be here for my family and friends.
    We need to pray that there will be a cure for breast cancer/all cancers soon. So many young women have lost there battle with this dreadful disease. Rest in peace my friend Kathy.:heart::cry: :cry:
    Linda
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Just checking in! Heading to bed now want to save my spot.

@Linda So sorry for your loss of your dear friend Kathy!:flowerforyou:
    Praying for you and Kathy's family.

Goodnight,
    Liz
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Linda - do sorry for the loss of your friend. She fought hard and is now at rest. x
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Linda- So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. My prayers for her family and yours.

Deb A
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    So can I jump in please, I like the sound of this?

September-okay few problems with weight lifting so putting that on the back burner

Purchased cross trainer, doing okay

October-keep going and measuring/weighing food

Agreed-it's never too late

Following the EM2WL route

Made mistakes with friends on here, hope to rectify that.

Be me!

• bigpal
    bigpal Posts: 19 Member
    iam sorry to hear about your loss linda i know what its like to lose a friend to cancer barbie you have some great goals for the month of october i want to really try hard to eat more vegs and fruit exercise twice as much as i did in september and drink double the water i want to live a lot longer so i can enjoy my later years move around so i can play with my grandbabies hope everyone has a great day carol
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    @Linda--keeping you and Kathy's family in my prayers...)

In a real hurry this a.m., but excited to be down 1.1 pound (total of 11.6 since I joined) and very happy that my DH has seen the benefits of MFP and when he got home from Presbytery yesterday was proudly showing me how he had been using his phone to log his eating over the weekend. I'm still out in front in the contest, though!

Didn't fulfil my goals for September, so will revisit them and post October's later.

Have a great active day, everyone!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Happy oct 1st.
    Linda,sorry to hear about your friend.
    My friend of 30 years has kidney cancer.They removed the kidney in Feb.She went for her 6 month cancer check-up.
    Praying everything is ok.
    Have a great mon,have to make sure daughter is moving for school.
    Will post goals later.Need to work on the night eating and ease back in the exercise.
    HUGS
    jane
    Ps.Barbie,Thanks for starting us up again,love the pic
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Linda:smile: so sorry for the loss of your friend. Will keep you and her family in my prayers!

Barbie:smile: thank you for starting the Oct. thread:flowerforyou: !!! Glad you had a good time at the retreat! Enjoy your time with your friend!!!

I will be back ladies later today. Noel has an appt. to get her rabies shot this morning, so I must rush off now.

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Happy October!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    barbie - glad you enjoyed the retreat. Thanks for starting this thread

LindaSundance - I haven't bought any Halloween candy. As a matter of fact, Vince usually buys it (unless I can get it on sale) and I just leave it in the bag from the store and put it away. Out of sight, out of mind. I have found that on Halloween, I used to have a couple pieces of the candy. Now what I do is pop myself a big bowl of air popped popcorn, so when I'm tempted to have some of the candy, I just have some of the popcorn instead. So sorry about your friend. But maybe in one sense it was a blessing in disguise. It really helped open your eyes to how important it is to take care of your body. As you said, God teaches us when we need to learn.

I would really love to try to exercise more, like twice/day. But, honestly, I don't know where I would find the time -- especially with the holidays coming around. Maybe during the summer next year. Wonder if floating in the pool can count as exercise????????????

Did 20 min of yoga, going to buy gas and then go to the extremepump class. Will post this mainly so that I can mark my spot. Welcome to October everyone!!!!

Michele
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Morning to all!

Here we are starting the work week again. I am thankful to have a job and be independent.

I love the banner for the new thread. Thanks Barbie! I am taking the time to count my blessings and remember, Now is Now.....

Kitten update- The black kitten looks about 6 to 8 wks old and is still hanging around the back door. I am feeding it but it is not used to humans and it hides when I open the back door. I have the garage ready in case it will show more social signs. If not, I hope DH will agree to some sort of shelter for it this winter....

Linda I am so sorry about your friend. I will say prayers for you and her family. Cancer is an awful disease.

October goals-
    Keep up with Jazzercise twice a week
    Yoga once a week
    Keep logging daily
    8 glasses of water
    Do not buy Halloween candy too early!!! (buy the kind I don't like!)

Carolyn
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart: I love this group. You lift me up with your posts and your positive attitude.

:sad: :sad: Linda, I am sorry to hear about your friend.....what a reminder to stay in the moment, that Now is Now and we can't take the future for granted.

:bigsmile: I am up early to walk the dogs, then my friend and I will be going to an early morning meeting......we are both happy to be back to our normal moderate eating.......we both ate very healthy at the retreat but without sufficient attention to portion control. the retreat center prepares outstanding meals and the women at the retreat brought an abundance of snacks that were readily available all day and too easy to get to.......I ate several things that are foods i don't eat at home (raisins, cashews, walnuts, peanut butter, toast).

:laugh: when we got home my darling hubby asked my friend if she was hungry and wanted to go out to dinner and she said. No.......she and I took the dogs for a long walk, then had an Isagenix shake for dinner, talked a lot and then she and the dogs had popcorn with no butter and I had another shake and we went to be early.

:flowerforyou: I did well with my resolutions for September except the one about walking with my hubby.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for October
    *yoga once a week
    *walk with hubby three times a week
    *say “OK”---be agreeable
    *stay in the moment
    *Be Barbie
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Marking my place for later.

Linda, I am so sorry about your friend. What a valiant fight on her part! That is determination to emulate. It is a terrible disease.

Several years ago I walked in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk here in Atlanta, the 60-mile one. Months of training ahead of time with two gals from church, three days of concerted walking, amazing stories from the speakers in the camp at night (including men -- they need to be aware as well), and a wonderful tribute to those who both continue to fight or have lost their battle at the closing ceremony.

Thank you, Barbie, for starting us up again.

Off to work on a rainy day.

Gail
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Good Morning all,

I was so tired yesterday I slept the clock around and also took a nap. I guess I needed it. Today is a swim day, and while it is gray and rainy I will be swimming indoors so no big deal.

Linda- sorry about your friend.

Carolyn- Hope you can make friends with the kitten. My DH has pretty much given up on my cat loving ways. He thinks I am nuts, but he indulges me shamelessly, at least with the cats. He's a keeper.

Ok for my Oct goals

Keep blood sugars low. I have my appointment on the 28th.
    Swim 3 times a week.
    Walk 3 times a week
    Zumba 2 times a week
    Start strength training 2 times a week
    Weight loss goal for the month is 4 lbs

Ok I tried eating my exercise calories back and I gained weight back, so I think I will stick to the 1500-1600 a day. It's not like I'm feeling hungry, I eat lots of veggies and fruits with lean meats. I just don't eat wheat products, which I feel take up lots of calories, for so little amounts of food. And they send my blood sugar up. Tigress
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Morning all ~

Linda, my condolences on the loss of your dear friend ~ very sad.

Lila, we still haven't made a decision on where in BC to move. DH has been dragging his feet about sitting down with me to at least make a decision on whether it'll be on the island or the mainland, and what type of home we'd be interested in. I have my own ideas but until I can pin him down, everything's still up in the air ~ our plan is to buy something in the spring in order to get the process started and probably rent it out which I hear is quite common. We've lived in Alberta since we married (I was born and raised here). Lila, where are you from?

Easter paska actually originated in eastern Europe and is a semi-sweetish egg bread. My Baba was born in Ukraine and she loved to cook. When my kids were still young, I would also make paska but now I (sadly) just buy it at the grocery store when Easter rolls around.

I am facing a day full with domestic duties and errands, but want to establish my place for the month! Difficult to believe that September is behind us now. I'm reading a few comments about October goals ~ do we just post our monthly goals here?

Will check in later...

Deborah:flowerforyou:
  • anntyson
    anntyson Posts: 23 Member
    :love: what do i have 2 do 2 join...i lost 3 lbs in Sept. but had lots of bads days...In October, i want 2 to stay focused
    on eating healthy all the time.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,358 Member
    Linda - sorry for the loss of your friend. Sorry for everyone who has lost someone to cancer and to those who are struggling to live with the disease. My dad has lymphoma but is ok at this point; his brother died of lymphoma. I don't think I know many families that have not been touched by some form of cancer.

Barbie - thanks for the October start-up. Lovely graphic and always great thoughts are shared. I again want to thank you for the walking inspiration. I am not walking up to your level but I am getting 5 miles in most days. Yeah.

My now is now moment came this past week when I heard from a former coworker. It seems a gentleman I worked with on numerous projects was killed in a freak traffic accident. He had been to NE Iowa to help his mother with something and was driving back to DSM when he got in an accident and was killed instantly. That shook me in my boots since of course that's *exactly* what I have been doing for years and have actually become increasingly uncomfortable with the solitary drive. And I'm often fatigued when I drive.

Time to go now. Thanks so much----it helps to much to keep in touch.

Lin
    :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 140 Member
    Oh - you ladies are awesome, what a beautiful site!!!

I have been very inactive during the September postings, back to work etc I find it hard to keep up with all the posting and logging...I met all of my September goals, which I feel very good about, lost another 9 pounds and am ready for ever October is dishing out!!

Indian summer is on its way, and I love this season - so lots of walking out in the woods is on my schedule.

Wishing you all the best October ever - I plan to sign in again before November...however.... :)

Cheers
    Karin
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Hello all and Happy October,

I trust that those of us who don’t work on weekends had a lovely time off. :flowerforyou: I sure did.

I put up 7 500ml jars of salsa for the cold room and 1 liter for the fridge. Also made very good pumpkin cake (for boys only) and two great dinners for the family. I did not get any official “exercise” but did wear my HRM in the kitchen on Saturday just to see if I really do burn any calories there. My heart rate never went much over 80 (resting is about 60) but I suppose that’s something more than lying about reading or watching TV.

September goal review:

No bedtime snacks, no second helpings! - did pretty well here, except occasional weekends when my resistance was low :blushing: .

Get the routine chores done – no procrastination! Oh dear, :noway: there was laundry on the floor of my bedroom closet last time I looked.

24 hours of exercise in the month. Total on the HRM: 21.5 this does not count the PE classes at school, or kitchen work. Still, I was hoping for 24 on the HRM.

Be a role model of healthy living for my students. I am already dressed to lead, not just dictate, the Monday PE heart-smart workout.

I lost a couple of pounds in September, putting me back where I was at the beginning of July. Now time to get the last five out of the way so I can scream GOOOOAL!

We are going to have a trying time at school over the next few weeks :grumble: enrolment is down, so staffing’s been reduced by one teacher. This means one less classroom in the intermediate wing, so instead of having grades 4,5,6 and 7 we will have 4/5, 4/6 and 6/7. I’ll probably be the 6/7 teacher but one of the intermediate teachers will have to take a dog’s breakfast of a job, filling in as a .4 primary teacher, working in the computer lab, teaching a smidgen of ESL, etc.

The superintendent of schools and director of personnel came on Friday to talk to staff, it was pretty dreadful. The elephant in the room no one wanted to mention is the fear that this is just the beginning, and the school may end up being closed. :frown: The liberating thing for me was realizing, half way through the meeting (which was so predictable I could have written the script) that I didn’t have to stay! :laugh: I’m not on the admin team anymore. So I made my excuses and scampered over to the Rec Centre for my 4 pm spin class. Hah!

People at work are busy blaming admin staff for the state of schools and parents for the state of students. :grumble: :noway: I have fought long and hard to overcome depression - if there's one thing I know it's that I have to stay away from negative people. Give me a bunch of jolly 12 year old boys any day!

Linda's grief over the loss of her friend brings life into a much clearer focus. My sympathy to you, dear. :flowerforyou:

October goals:
    Try a different drop-in exercise class at the Rec Centre each week.
    Work out with my students on Mondays.
    Stay positive when folks get negative at work, surround myself with positive people.

I'm off to make a peach smoothie and enjoy the sunshine!

Nancy
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    So sorry, Linda. Be gentle with yourself. Let a few pieces of Halloween candy in your friend's honor stand in for sweet memories.