What's the most efficient exercise to burn cals?

Options
Been reading, and not all exercises burn the same number of calories. What is the quickest way I can get a meaningful workout in in the least amount of time? I don't have energy enough after work to be bouncing around the living room in front of a video for an hour, and in short order I'd be back to doing nothing.

Any speedy workouts that burn a lot of calories out there?

Replies

• jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope and running are some good ones
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    30 day shred? That's only 27 minutes including the warm-up.
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 50 rep squats with a barbell. Take a two minute break between sets and increase weight by 5 lbs every session.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    something that uses the whole body... swimming would probably be my first choice.

Something like burpees if you are looking for something to do at home.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Im no expect but I'd expect any high intensity interval type of cardio exercises would get you a decent burn in terms of calories burnt.
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion. treadmill at an incline I set mine at a 9.
  • wesbrowning
    Options
    Running has been a great one for me. Relatively quick, I started out with just 10 minutes a day and after 3 months find myself running around 30 minutes per run. Burns lots of calories per run. I've started supplimenting a run witha few sets of calisthenics (jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, and resistance bands). My energy level at the start was very low too. I didn't realize when I started running I would end up craving more. Started 3 months ago and tended to burn about 80 to 100 calories per short run. Now I tend to burn between 400 and 600 calories per session (run and calisthenics) and do this 5 to 6 times per week.

Just start small and the key is to stick with it. It'll grow from there.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    For me the most efficient and best exercise is one that I like enough to do every day> I have a fitness class that is part social so I have interaction. I also like running so I do that. I started many things and didn't like them as much and stopped doing them
    Find what you like and will do regularly and that is the best for you
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    the one that YOU enjoy and gets your heart rate up and gets your @$$ up and moving. A LOT of people on this site seem to be an expert at what exercise is the best..no it's the best for THEM!

I walk 6 - 7 days a week..and I'm totally losing weight AND BUILDING MUSCLE! I don't have to be in the gym lifting weights or running. You will read a ton of threads that say if you aren't lifting you aren't building to which I call bullsh*t.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I do high impact interval training for about 20-30 minutes and that burns 100's of cals
  • ibogirl04
    ibogirl04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv has HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) videos. They are generally 12 minutes long. You do workout intervals of 50 secs of work and 10 secs of rest twelve times. There is cardio and strength training involved with these workouts and they target your core. I suggest you try it out. I must warn you, though, that some of the women are scantily clad and the camera shots are sometimes...looking at the wrong things. However, if you can get past that, I'm sure you'll see results as I am if you stick with it. I generally burn about 150 to 200-ish calories but I'm also really out of shape so I have a lot of pedestrian moments.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't pick the most 'efficient' so to speak. I would do whatever you'd be willing to do over and over and over again, without getting burnt out and stopping. You can add intensity and/or speed gradually.
    So far for me, running is my highest calorie burner, followed by biking - but to burn fat, walking is more efficient.
    High pulse rate (145+) - stronger heart and lungs
    Medium pulse rate 120-144 - max fat burning.
    Low pulse rate- get off the couch. :)

Good luck and I hope you find something that suits you and your lifestyle!
  • hijabe
    hijabe Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been working on maintaining my weight through exercise for 10 years. One of the things that has amazed me over time is that if I get home after work and try to do something by myself, I fail. But, if I stop and exercise on my way home or immediately after work, I get huge amounts of energy from the workout! Its really cool. I have found that any exercise works. I do most of my workouts with other people and that helps too because I know my friends are counting on me. I run, bike, lift weights, swim, walk. My commitment is to do an hr a day of something 5 days a week and I plan what I am going to do on Sundays so that I don't get overwhelmed by my work week. I
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Answer; the one that you learn to enjoy and can do at maximum intensity. We all have our personal favorites. It could be running, weight lifting, jumping rope, ruck marches, badminton,cow tipping or hang gliding- in other words; find what works best for you.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like running, I started with the couch 2 5K program app on my phone. For the first several weeks of the 9 week program the entire workout only takes 28 minutes and its every other day. By the end the workouts are still only 35 min and maybe by then you will be enjoying it (like me) and you will want to push yourself to run longer. I'm running about 4 miles and burning about 115 cal per mile. I'm a very slow runner :wink:
  • heygina
    heygina Posts: 78
    Options
    You guys are all awesome! Really good advice. I'm leaning toward the hiit and 30 day shred. I just don't want to be taking a lot of time but I want to burn a good solid 200 or I will probably get discouraged. Thanks!
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    While I am very active, I find the most efficient calorie burn for me is the elliptical. I can get a 500+ calorie burn in a 45 minute session.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on your state of conditioning, but I'd say running, jumping rope, calisthenics, and plyometrics. They can be hard on the body, however. Try doing 10 minutes and then wait a couple of days to see how your body reacts.
  • jhagwall
    Options
    I would highly recomment interval training. You alternate between high intensity and low intensity, such as 30 sec high then 1 min low. During those 30 seconds push yourself really really hard. Then go back to a normal workout pace to catch your breath. Do not take it easy per se, but take it down to a manageable pace. Then after a minute go back that high intensity for 30 seconds. You can do this with any type of cardio (running, biking, elliptical). It is amazing. It challenges your body, and keeps it guessing. I think this is key. This works really well to maximize the shorter amount of time you have to work out as well. Maximum burn, less time. Also, fit in some strength training. As we get older, our bodies easily create more fat and less muscle. Less muscle means less fat burn. So, by doing some strength training we can offset this natural tendency as we age. The biggest thing to remember is to push yourself. It's not so much how much time you put into your workout, but how hard you actually workout. Good luck!
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    While I am very active, I find the most efficient calorie burn for me is the elliptical. I can get a 500+ calorie burn in a 45 minute session.

I love the elliptical, too. Huge calorie burn in a small amount of time.