Do you like your last name

Options
taylor5877
taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
so many ways to go with this, but I think I'll leave it alone and let the thread decide where to take this.

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    No. It's long and nobody pronounces it correctly. Back when I was dating I would literally ask a guy their last name and if it was crappier than mine, I'd pass over them. My ideal man has a short last name. Coincidentally, my man friend has a 5 letter last name that is very common. *whew*
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Yep. There are 13 letters in my last name.

Every time I am at a counter spelling it out, I get one of two responses:

"That's a long one." or "That's a mouthful."

I just smile and respond, "I Hear that all the time."
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Its unique but always gets mispronounced. Its really not *that* hard and for some reason an "R" always gets added to the end. Uh...no "R" people!!
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    No, I hate it....put it this way...it is a word that rhymes with ox..and add a c on the front....you can't even begin to imagine how many times people spell my name wrong...and my poor kids are teased and tormented at school..especially my son in athletics..:laugh:
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Without it there would be no Merry Chris Smith! A tragedy! A Travesty!
  • Clumz27
    Clumz27 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My last name is Dill. I'm kind of a big dill. I like it.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    It's o.k.

My maiden name is Polish. Everybody was always misspelling or mispronouncing it.

I though life would be easy when I married my husband--his family name is pretty plain (along the lines of Smith, Jones, Baker...)--and yet people still misspell it! Crazy!
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hate it. I'd much rather have my mum's last name: Lewis. Much easier to pronounce.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I HATED mine for many reasons (some shallow, others not so) so I changed it to my mother's maiden name for $70.

Why live in misery or wait to get married? I took matters into my own hands!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Mine's SUPER generic, so I'm cool with it. Although because of where I live, many people assume I'm Hispanic (which I'm not) but if I say my last name quickly it kind of, sort of sounds like a common Hispanic last name, so that's kinda confusing sometimes. But for the most part, it's pretty normal and easy to deal with.
  • candctaber
    Options
    Yes I Love it because it is my husbands name! I am blessed to have such a wonderful loving husband!
  • raynavarro
    Options
    I descended from the Cox's. Lovely people from ireland. Studying up on family history makes me value my name more.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My last name is just fine, it's the people that can't pronounce it that irritate me, if you can't pronounce it, don't say it! Dominick's the grocery store does this and it irritates me "Thank Ms. Sa-dive-eee" ... Nope, "Said-iv-ee"
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My maiden name? Young… I like to think I look like it :)
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    My adoptive last night I hate, it's Stallcop, aka "stall" and a "cop", two very unpleasant things. My birth last name is Vinogradova, "Vino" means "wine", "grad" means "hail", when combined together into "Vinograd" it means "grapes"! Just like a fine wine, I get better with age :P
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    As a child I didn't like my last name because no one could pronounce it correctly. I was also really shy at the time. Now, I love my last name.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My last name represents my family and my history and I love it. It is also a very common last name and shared by an infamous person. Every once in a while I get asked if I am related to said person.

Its also only 6 letters long and easy to spell and pronounce - so win-win.

I might decide to keep it if I ever get married.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No, because it's only five letters, easy to pronounce, yet everyone mispronounces it. I hate people.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I actually still have my ex husband's last name and I HATE it.

I l ike my maiden name. It's just such a PITA to change it....lol
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i'm indifferent really. but i didn't change it when i got married so i guess i like it.