Vacation Alone??

Options
TylerJ76
TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
Anyone ever go on vacation alone?

I am looking into going to Playa Del Carmen this winter, and I am thinking of going alone.

Just curious if anyone else has done this.

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I fish, so it makes sense for me, so yes.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    My friend and I took a 700 mile road trip to North Carolina last year. I dropped her off in Charlotte and I stayed in Winston-Salem. Vacationing alone was a great experience! No one to nag me. I got to do whatever and whenever I wanted. I met lots of new people and visited a lot of exciting places. I highly suggest to anyone to take at least one vacation alone. It's very liberating!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've done tons of traveling alone and it has it's pros and cons. There are times when it's awesome not to have to ask someone what they want to eat or where to go. But there are also moments when it can be lonely. You'll never know how you feel about it until you try it though.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I haven't. But it sounds like the most magical thing ever. Do it!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I went to Portugal on my own because no one else wanted to go. I had a great time - i got up when i wanted, ate what I wanted, when I wanted. I went on the trips that i wanted to go on and lounged by the pool when it suited me. In the evenings i went to the hotel bar and chatted with other people there (there were a few people also on their own). I made sure I had plenty to read (the hotel had a little book exchange as well). Had a great time.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I went to England by myself for 10 days, it was FANTASTIC. I really recommend it.

In Playa Del Carmen, if you go to an all inclusive, you meet TONS of people anyways. I went to one in February.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have and I love it. When your on vacay with others it's always so hard to make a plan and get going. Everyone always wants to do different stuff and sometimes you sacrifice that museum you really wanted to see because your aunt wanted to go to the chocolate factory. Hotel room all to myself, doing what I want when I want, yes please! Plus it's fun to hit the hotel bar alone and make some stranger friends
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I haven't been on a vacation like the one you are thinking about but I have been on a "self" vacation. It was nice, peaceful and rather enjoyable.

I'd do it again, yet I'd rather not. Some things are just more enjoyable with others around.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I would love a vacation alone. I have never had a chance though.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i went to colorado alone...drove from ohio when i was 22 and to this day have never had a better 4 days in my life....holed up in a little hotel room in estes park right at entrance to rocky mt national park.....went out everynight to the bar met tons of people had a couple from minnesota pick up a 30 dollar beer tab for me one night....another night had a guy and his girl tell me i could move out there and live with them rent free if i wanted...not sure why they wanted me to do that......:{........made many memories that week ill probably never top.....ia ctually recommend it very soul cleansing
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    I would definitely do it! I went to Morocco for a week on my own and it was the greatest travel experience ever! I love international travel adventures. I say go for it.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I would so do it. I love myself. lol
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Having a female partner could do me good
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I told my parents that for my graduation from my masters I want a week at an all-inclusive resort by myself, or somewhere that has a beach by myself, no joke. I just want a week (or two!) to not have to do what other people want to do and spend the day laying by the pool/beach/swimming/doing whatever I want. So no, I don't think its weird.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've done vacation alone ("backpacking" sort of trip in Europe). It leaves you open to meeting a lot of new people, if you are an outgoing person who talks to strangers easily.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Solo vacation is pretty awesome. It gives you time to really ponder upon things in life that you normally don't think about. Not only that but the silent moments really drive you to enjoy what is around you. It's like living unfiltered.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I haven't. But it sounds like the most magical thing ever. Do it!

I second this!!! :drinker: I have no problem going solo when I need to. If I could do this, I totally would!!!
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a teenage son....I would give anything to get away alone. I don't even care where.
  • jasond8023
    jasond8023 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take 3 vacations every year - a family trip, a trip with the guys, and a solo trip. My solo trip is always the most fun since I can do what I want, when I want, and not have to worry about anybody's else's budget, diet, or timeline. I highly recommend it! I always meet some awesome people when traveling alone.
  • CayleyRidgeRunner
    CayleyRidgeRunner Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would definitely do it! I went to Morocco for a week on my own and it was the greatest travel experience ever! I love international travel adventures. I say go for it.

That sounds bad *kitten*! What a free spirit!