How Honest Are You?

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You can’t put a price on your integrity. There is no way I would trade it for $50 in free groceries.

Pretty much this. I've had cashiers make errors before or forget to swipe an item. I just bring it to their attention so they can go ahead and ring it up. I guess if I wanted to steal something I could just be a thief and steal it. That doesn't appeal to me. It makes me feel good to do the right thing. I always turn things into lost and found, too.
  • RockinBooty89
    Options
    Honestly I don't know... depends on the day and where I stand financially. I've been in some very tight spots before and I would love to say "I would do the right thing every single time" but I know that's only true about 98% of the time. Just saying it depends, its easy for someone with $50,000 in the bank to give back that 50 without a second thought, but if I only have $51 in my pocket... I just don't know...
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Walked away without paying. Gone the next day and paid the full $50 for more groceries and give it to a homeless man on the side of the road.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Always honest here, something similar happened to me this weekend... and I applaud you for yours! :)))
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    True character is how you behave when no one is watching. I'd tell the check-out person and pay the full amount due.
  • RockinBooty89
    Options
    Would you stop a hungry man from stealing bread?

Not unless I'm in the position to give it to him myself.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    So I went grocery shopping and got my typical $50 of groceries. I went thru the self serve line and rang up my order. Swiped my bank card and it said I only owe 0.03 yes 3 cents?

What would you do?

1. Swipe your card and go?

2. Tell someone so they can correct it ?

My momma raised an honest girl! I told someone and paid my $50.

I could have just swiped and paid 3 cents. No one was even watching the self service machines.

So if you have the opporunity to be honest -- are you ?

Bank makes an error in your favor. Collect $50.

This.
  • BlueGenius
    BlueGenius Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would if I caught him. Between charities, food stamps, etc... there are enough ways to get yourself fed that there is no excuse for stealing. There was no indication in the OP's post that poverty was an issue.

I've had to make the tough choice whether to pay rent or buy groceries a couple of times. I chose rent... and I'm too proud/stupid to go to a food bank or soup kitchen. A day or two of hunger is pretty easy compared to what some folks on this planet face daily.

Luckily for me, I was blessed by having friends who figured out my predicament (I said nothing) and invited me to supper... then sent me home with "left-overs" enough to feed me for a few days until my next paycheck. I've paid that forward often over the years.

I understand completely. I've had MANY low points in my life, including those in which my food supply was scarce. Of course there is no excuse for stealing, but the question was only intended to provoke thought. At the end of the day, which of us is greatly impacted by the hungry thief? I say neither really. In my opinion, the only reason he is stealing is because he's been told "no" everywhere else.

BTW, don't ever be too proud to ask for help!

But back to my original point. Yes, I would take the groceries for 3 cents.
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    I would of payed, as much as i would of wanted to walk out, i wouldn't !
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Awesome answer.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I would tell somebody. The combination of paranoia and the fact I'm a good person. As an alternative I would take it, go outside, and give 50$ to a homeless person, somebody who actually needs it.
  • BlueGenius
    BlueGenius Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Right! Of course if I were down to my last ration ... maybe I share. Maybe. lol
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I'd bring the error to the cashier's attention. I believe in a funny little thing called Karma. Also, I just couldn't ive with myself if didn't.

I've had plenty of opportunity in the past though... still didn't take advantage of the situation. Karma aint about to make me her b!tch!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I would do the honest thing. I was driving away from the local gas station today and saw something on the road. I was in a hurry on my way to a job interview, too, but I quick stopped because it looked like a book. I got out and picked it up, and it was a woman's wallet. It had ID and credit cards and I would guess it had money in, also. I grabbed it and quick drove back to the station and turned it in to them. I know I would be in a panic to find mine back. I walked away much happier than I was before I got my measly $8.00 of gas that I could afford today. :)

Edit to say: And this weekend my exhusband was here to see the kids and mentioned that he has almost no food at home, so I sent some food I knew the kids wouldn't eat when he left and some sandwiches to eat on the way home, also. I have very little myself, but since I do have some, I always try to share and to be honest. I know that it will make me feel better in the long run, and short term.
  • FrozenGod
    Options
    I'd swipe my card and high tail it outta there, lol
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I would do the honest thing. I was driving away from the local gas station today and saw something on the road. I was in a hurry on my way to a job interview, too, but I quick stopped because it looked like a book. I got out and picked it up, and it was a woman's wallet. It had ID and credit cards and I would guess it had money in, also. I grabbed it and quick drove back to the station and turned it in to them. I know I would be in a panic to find mine back. I walked away much happier than I was before I got my measly $8.00 of gas that I could afford today. :)
    Hope you get a good job! If it's not this one, maybe it will be an even better one.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Too bloody Honest!! LOL! Often gets me into a load of s**t.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'd pay the correct amount
    begrudgingly haha!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'd pay what I owe. My integrity is worth more than 50 bucks.
  • Chrysopteron
    Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd find someone and try to pay the real cost.

Honesty and good deeds have their own rewards.

A few years ago, I found a lost dachshund in a parking lot. He had a tag, but the phone number on it had no area code. So I took him home and just started calling all of the area codes in Texas in front of that number. I had the dog in my apartment against the rules for two days while I was doing this. He even chewed up my bathroom door, lol. Eventually, I found his owner...who lived 300 miles away and had only been in town for one day for a funeral when the dog got loose.

The best part was that the owner was a 90 year old man who had been inconsolable about losing his pet. He was overjoyed that he had been found safe. And when his daughter met up with me to get the dog, she stuffed $250 dollars in my hand and refused to take it back when I protested. Crazy! But I still definitely would have done it for free to hear that the nice old man got his doggy back. :)

Lovely story - it made me cry and send you a friend request! ; )

Found a brand new cell phone at a festival once. (Mine was crappy...) Called the last number that had been called from it. No luck. Second number - no one. Called "home" and reached the Mom, who told me which friends were at the festival with her son and then dialed one of them.

Reached him, he passed the phone to his friend who went something like "Yeah, cool, let's meet there and there." AND THEN PROCEEDED TO MAKE ME WAIT IN THAT SPOT FOR ALMOST 45 MINUTES, STUPID GIT!!!!!!!!! Missing half of the show of one of my top three favourite bands, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

He didn't even apologize or thank me properly! Which makes me think it's extremely unfair that when I lost my old i-pod (2nd generation, when 5 was out already, so nothing extremely tempting!) that had my name and phone number inscribed into the back, the thieving *kitten* who found it never called or sent it back!

I hope he still feels guilty after more than two years! ; (

As to the proper question: Find someone and tell them. It's not the chain store you're cheating, it's other honest people. The store will just detect a loss in profits (especially if the faulty machine keeps doing that because no one mentions it's off) and raise the prices on products. Result: Everyone's paying for my freebie. Not cool.

Leftover money in washing machine slots, drinks machines etc.: Yeah, baby, that was good luck! : ) (Unless the person who forgot to take their change out is still around, then it's "eeeeeehhhhhhhmmmmmmm, excuse me...?")