Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have lost 18kgs (40lbs) and looking to lose 9-15kg(20-30lb) more... I am quite liking the look of my body.. when I do lots of weights the scale doesn't move, but gives me the biggest inches lost.

To lose weight AND inches, Should I lower the weights or increase the cardio intensity?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony - people argue a lot about "eating back calories". If we are on the lowest 1200 calorie diet and burn off 500 through exercise, should we eat those back? Thanks.

I don't recommend that my clients "eat back" calories from exercise because I use them in my estimations when I write their calorie prescription.

In my opinion MFP can overestimate calories burned from exercise.

My practical advice is that if you're able to function without eating back the extra calories, you don't feel worn down, or deprived, having a larger caloric deficit will just help you lose weight faster. If you're eating back calories and still losing weight at the rate you're happy with, then keep on eating them. If you're not losing weight, it could be a good place to start.

Hope that helps.

Thank You. Eating back exercise calories has been a huge myth here on MFP.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luvmydog2
    Options
    bump ..
  • luvmydog2
    Options
    bump ...
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. Are they really as bad as some say? Cuz I can' t seem to give them up :)

Carbs are not bad. They tend to cause more water weight fluctuations which can really freak out people who are overly concerned with the number on the scale.

That being said, I recommend emphasis on getting adequate protein and fat because we have physiological needs for them that are greater than for carbs. Technically you can live without carbs but you definitely need protein and fat in your diet. If you have room for carbs, eat and enjoy them.

What should I set my ratio settings for the fat, protein and fat then?
  • quillsHP
    quillsHP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hey there...really nice of you to do this! :)

I am 23, lacto-ovo vegetarian and I weigh 96 kilos. My start weight was 104 kilos. I lost about 4 kilos with MFP. My question is, according to MFP my BMR is 1700-ish. And I think my TDEE is 2000. MFP has set my macros at 1430 calories a day. Should I be netting my BMR or a 20-30% cut of my TDEE? As of now, I net anywhere between 1200-1500 a day.

My only form of exercise is walking as of now. I want to increase the intensity but I am waiting to reduce to about 85 kilos so that I don't put too much stress on my knees. What do you think?
  • chloejane1007
    Options
    Thankyou so much for answering the question on eating back calories! I have been so confused and people on here have told me so much different stuff. I didnt think it was right to eat back all ur hard work of burning them off! MPf tells me too eat 1200 cal a day and i exercise burning on average 250 a day which i have left over at the end of the day and i dont feel deprived or lacking in focus.
    Thanks so much for settlimg this for me as i will take ur advice as ypu are a duetician! Thanks again :)
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I hope you're still here to answer, I'll be very thankful if you do!

I'm a woman, age 39, 155 lbs, have IBS and sporadically great problems with bowels and bloating.
    Are there foods (other than the obvious pre-fabricated stuff, raw veggies, wheat, too much dairy, too much fibre) that I should avoid? Are there foods that may help with this condition?

I've heard that keeping away from foods that I react to, might even worsen the situation if I should accidentally have some of these foods - just because my body isn't used to them anymore. Is there any truth to this?
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for answering our questions :)

My question is in relation to the dreaded 'Starvation Mode' (!) and I would really appreciate your opinions/advice on the matter.

Some background: I have a 20+ year history of anorexia nervosa. I was doing OK for a few years (although still quite controlled around food). This year I had a relapse and am trying to recover (physically) by myself. I am currently 94lbs (@ 5'3") and my last labs were OK (except for a drop in MCV). I exercise 5-7 times a week (walking/jogging). I am terrified of gaining too quickly as it will set me back further. I will gain quite quickly if I eat at MFP's suggested maintainence kcals. I eat very few carbs.

My question is: if I am in starvation mode, what would you advise to boost my metabolism? Should I add / avoid certain things? Will my metabolism ever go back to normal?!?

Thank you :)
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thank You for your time.
    I know I've a problem with soy
    I love it all, but have discerned it may only be fermented.
    My querry to you would be twofold. .
    Do you think this would encompass all fermented? ... like my kraut?
    I love my black soy beans & milk, but have reactions to a soy powder ( fermented tamari)& sadly Tofu
    What test would you recommend?
    Bleasings to you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • AroraSumita
    Options
    Thanks for answering our questions...
    I am 5 ft 160 pound 40% body fat eating 1200 calories a day..I recently started doing strength training(very basic)
    I do not wish to bulk up- my question is- till what weight can i go upto so that i tone but not bulk up and also loose weight

Thanks for your response in advance...
  • Chrysopteron
    Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, Thanks for taking the time to do this! There's a ton of information out there on nutrition, and it's nice to know what a person's credentials are when asking for their ideas / advice / opinions.

Here's my personal info
    46 year old female, 5’8”
    Presently 220 lbs (*Sigh*) but had been overweight all my life until I decided to change things when I hit 40 and tipped the scales at almost 300 lbs.

I followed the Weight Watchers plan and lost 100 lbs and maintained at 195 for 18 months. I had wanted to loose that last 10 lbs - so I started running. I ran my first 1/2 marathon in 2010 - and felt great! The training schedule I used including 5 days a week of running, including those dreaded long runs on the weekend. I also have a personal trainer and I was hitting the gym to do strength training 3-4 times a week including a session with him.

After that first 1/2, I continued with the running, but in the last year or so I've found that my energy levels seem to decline as the week goes on. I will have energy and motivation on Monday, by Wednesday it's waning but I still can push myself to go out and do something. Now, however, by Friday I have 0 motivation to do anything healthy and usually end up bingeing Friday evening. MY PT session is on the weekend, so I drag myself there for that, but other than that I can’t seem to push myself to get to the gym more than one other time. I can pull myself out of the binge over the weekend and the cycle seems to start again on Monday. Now the weight is coming back on (binge eating will do that - I know) and I can't seem to find how to keep the motivation and energy at a point where my mind isn't sabatoging me with the lack of energy/motivation.

I'm thinking there's obviously something missing in my nutrition plan in that I can't keep my energy levels relatively consistent (even tho my calories seem to be fairly consistent during the weekdays - - until Friday hits). I've added a daily regime of Cod Liver oil (1 tsp) and avocado (2 Tbsp) ino my diet in an effort to get those good fats which does seem to help a little. My customized MPF plan has me shooting for about 2000 cals per day, with a 40/30/30 split - trying to keep the protein up so that the lean muscle that I've gained over the past years doesn't just fade away . . .

Any suggestions on what you've found to keep energy levels at a consistent level?

There's a lot of things that can affect your energy levels. I'll touch on a few...

1. Stress-
    2. Sleep
    3. Training- are you overtraining?
    4. Recovery time- are you recovering from your training sessions?
    5. Diet- obviously affects your energy. Some people even find that they have a meal frequency that works best for them and their energy levels. If you're running a ton, you may want to increase your carbohydrate levels.

You are obviously a highly motivated and determined individual. It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what's going on with you. Why not taper off your training for a week and see if you can't be more compliant with your diet? That could be a good clue to the puzzle.

Just found your post and must say it sounds a lot like overtraining to me - not good. But fairly easy to fix, which IS good! : )
    (My boyfriend is a professional athletics trainer, so by default I read and discuss with him loads of research on the subject, especially since I've started to move my own lazy butt more. Science tells you this:

Training and upping your muscles depends on a cycle of effort and relaxation. Results come from your body adapting to a challenge, so to speak - it has to cope with an effort it can deal with but which remains an effort.

So, first you exhaust your body - and then YOU GIVE IT A REST. The body regenerates, but it doesn't only "become comfy" at your original level again but builds up a reserve to be prepared for next time (much like what it does with fat when people cut calories too aggressively, resulting in yoyo).
    Once your body is a happy camper again you do a new workout - if this happens regularly, your "muscle reserves" build up nicely and continuously. But the relaxation period is just as important as the training period, because this is when your body is working on building the reserves, so to speak.

If you overtrain, you force your body into exhausting itself again when it hasn't fully recovered from the last time yet, thereby pushing it into ever more exhaustion. Consequences: muscle loss, soreness, tiredness, dip in motivation... sounds familiar?

So you should start slowly at 1-2 times a week and then up it to 3-4 times a week (beginners for 30-60 minutes). Stop there. Seriously. (Unless you're a professional athlete, they slowly habituate their bodies to quicker recuperation over the course of YEARS and can achieve nice results with daily training. If you're not one of them, relax a bit in between sessions.)

What you can do to increase your activity levels is to do MORE INTENSE training rather than more. So, take me as an example because I don't know how fast you're running your half-marathon etc.:

- I started rollerskating and did 6 miles in 30 minutes. Two days REST.
    - Next time I skated to the next village - 6 miles in 30 minutes. Had a coffee and chat with my sis on the phone for 15 minutes, then skated back. So I doubled the training with a 15 minute pause.
    - Then yesterday I skated to the same village and only stopped for a couple of minutes there to enjoy the feeling and stretch my legs. Result: 12 miles in 60 minutes flat (which I hadn't dared hope, I was quite exhausted after my first tour there)
    - Today is rest day. Tomorrow I will either try the same trip in 55 minutes or a 15 mile trip to another town regardless of the time it takes me or 75 minutes and see where I end up, whichever I feel like most and what fits my time schedule.

So I would suggest to try and run every other day either every few sessions for a longer period of time or to make always a bit more mileage in a set amount of time - whichever suits you, and you can also go back and forth between both options. It's very important for your body to be set different challenges, so it can't get used to it - because then it optimises its processes for that challenge and all your efforts lead to maintenance of weight, figure and fitness...

Good luck, I hope this helps,

Chrys

P.S.: It's so amazing that you lost so much weight and can actually run for 15 miles! I wish I could, you can be so proud of how far you've come!!!
  • Cuna77
    Cuna77 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump 4 later.
  • bev0l0
    bev0l0 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I suffer from really bad bouts of IBS which makes it difficult to eat veggies, beans, fibre etc... I am really battling to lose weight. I am 5'7 and weigh 172pounds. I am on 1550 calories a day and try to exercise 3 x a week. Could the IBS be hampering the weight loss a bit or not? I am 39 years old.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    wow you eat a lot of food! What is your work out program to stay thin and still eat the way you do? I would love to eat as much as you do and be where you are! I I always look at successful peoples diaries to see if I can learn from them on how to eat and the types of programs they are following. Were you heavy at one point and lost weight ? Love to know. Thanks!
  • debbiekuhn123
    debbiekuhn123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im 5ft7, 304lbs, female,

Can i have some opinions on my calorie intake please, I just want to make sure what my calories are supose to be, I exercise 3 times a week, mainly walking, 1-2 hours a time moderate 3mph?,

I am supose to be around 2100 to lose according to this website, but im eating way below that, I am not hungry at all cos the foods im chosing are keeping me fuller for much longer,

I believe im getting all my nutriants,fibre,calcium,protein,vitamins etc..I am drinking water just keep forgetting to add it to my diary

My portion sizes are a lot smaller as as some are aware i have a lapband, due to a leakage i put the weight back on,

Anyway i need a new band & im helping the procedure by losing some weight & getting used to smaller portion sizes

Im drinking wine & eating chocolate on my calories (not every day)
  • kleedelaney
    Options
    Hi Tony! First of all, thank you for doing this. It's always a relief to have someone who really knows there stuff answer questions.

To start off, I'm 22 and weight 215 lbs. (Down about 5 from where I started 2 weeks ago). I started the Insanity workout plan and I really am enjoying it and can feel my endurance getting better and my stamina. MFP tells me that my estimated calorie intake per day should be about 1230. With that background, I have a few different questions for you.

1) Do you think that I should be working out more, or is Insanity enough to see a healthy amount of weight-loss over time?

2) All of my friends/family are concerned about the amount of calories MFP has suggested, saying that it is way too little and I'm going to starve myself, what is your opinion on this?

3) As a general rule, I eat one big meal a day (400-600 calories), and spread the rest of my remaining calories out throughout the day while I'm hungry/after work outs. Is this safe/okay?

Thank you again for all your help!
    Kayla
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hey Tony,

My goal is lose 12 and reduce my bodyfat. I exercise 5 days a week for at least 1 hour and MFP says my calorie intake should be 1700. Is that too low?

Herb
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have lost 18kgs (40lbs) and looking to lose 9-15kg(20-30lb) more... I am quite liking the look of my body.. when I do lots of weights the scale doesn't move, but gives me the biggest inches lost.

To lose weight AND inches, Should I lower the weights or increase the cardio intensity?

Keep your weight lifting where it is, and don't be afraid to to even lift heavier. You will achieve the weight and inches lost with your diet. Right now, I would just give it a few more weeks and see if you don't drop some weight too. If you're at a plateau, try a slight (10% or so) calorie cut.