WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2012

Options

Replies

• Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just got home from a long Council meeting so I am going to have a snack and go to bed, I am really tired.
    Will post goals and catch up on all the posts tomorrow.

Linda - so sorry to hear about your friend. Words can't really express the loss but know we all have been somewhere similar and are holding you and her family in our thoughts and prayers.

Good night sweet ladies, dream well.

Lila
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

I'm amazed at how many posts we are getting recently. Once upon a time it would take a few days to finish one page - now we can be on page three before the first day of the month is done with.

There must be something in the air at the moment, everyone at work seems to be so grumpy! My plan for the day is to keep myself to myself as much as possible - I don't want to soak up too much of the negativity.

Today is going to be a liquid only day - protein shakes and lots of water. I want to see if I can stop feeling so bloated. I may also give fruit a miss for a few days. Just recently I've been eating dates, figs and grapes - so I may avoid those.

Must do some work.

Be good to yourselves.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • milagros00
    milagros00 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Start of day one. I pray that I am able to go through the day a winner. I feel that deep inside I do not truly believe that I can do this. I need to obtain a positive attitude along with confidence. OK here goes!

I CAN DO THIS!
    I WILL DO THIS!
    I AM A WINNER! :heart: :heart:
  • Successful21
    Successful21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This seems like a great group, I'd like to join! My goals for October are: 1-commit myself to the plan, 2-track my food every day, 3-drink my water, 4-deal with issues that put me into weight gain. Thanks for being here.
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!

I can't believe it's already October I started on this new journey just 1 month ago and time flew by:smile:

Marking my spot for now, sat at the computer and caught up on about 4 days worth of posts last night. Then went straight to bed and I'm pretty sure I had dreams of MFP.:embarassed:

I will have to find my September goals, pretty sure I reached alomost all. Spent the weekend painting 2 large bedrooms, trying to list home at end of October. May have to take a few days off from work to reafch my goal.:wink:

Didn't get to ride last month, but the horses are the reason I am downsizing, so I can afford to keep both. So the riding will have to wait for now.:ohwell:

I will post more once I get to work and post new October goals.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    October is here. I love the October blue sky and the cooler temperatures. I am looking forward to moving more--my knees feel much better. I need to keep the exercises for my knees in my daily goals. I can see how easy it would be to "forget" about them. I am struggling with the specifics of a food program---which to follow. I found success the first couple of times I did the 17 day diet cycles but lately when I do, I find that I just get stuck. I need to look at this with my eyes wide open. My exercise is getting better but I am still moving less than I did before my knee issues. I will look at this time to keep my focus on my goals.
    My goals:
    Gym- 3 times a week, Knee exercises - daily
    Food- Plan for the day AND stick to the plan
    Journal- Morning Pages

Thanks, Barbie for all the work you do in keeping us together!!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, well I'm taking off my pity party hat this morning. I have finally lost that darn 3 lbs I gained at the show. I have vowed to take my own food to the next shows. I don't want to do this again. I only got in an hour of swimming laps yesterday, I had some food shopping to do.

This is a busy thread, so much to read and so many up people, I feel good just reading about how much everyone is losing and exercising, it's great.

DMO- I hope your house sells, fast, we downsized about 5 years ago when all the kids left, we got in on the last of the bubble. Then we moved out to the country, which is where DH wanted to be with a couple of acres and no neighborhood convenents. I was afraid I would hate it, but I really like living out here.

Mila- If you haven't exercised in a while you may want to build up to an hour. I know that I walked for 40 minutes for years, did 2 2/3 miles in that time and thought I was in ok shape. I got out there and walked 4.8 miles in 1 3/4 hours and could hardly move for 3 days. LOL I learned my lesson. Start out slow and add time. Everyday if you want, but slow.

Welcome to all the new folks, this is a great group of ladies.

Tigress
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all my dearies,

I am trying to think of a food related goal for this month…perhaps something do do with fall harvest vegetables or …

I was also thinking that I could walk Buster-the-Dog in the mornings before work, but that would mean getting up at 5:30 (I know you do it, Barbie, but I’m a weakling) or giving up my morning with my MFP friends….So I limited it to four days a week and I'll find a way to fit it in. Thank goodness he's a miniature poodle - a run around the yard is almost enough for him. :laugh:

JB I can smell the Oregon coast air (a mixture of sea salt and fine sand) in your post!

Andreajp – “Get fitted for a properly fitted bra” – do it today! There’s nothing so important as a firm foundation! (So to speak)

Barbie, thank you for your kind thoughts. :flowerforyou:

I’ve been through school cut-backs and reorganizations as a principal and it’s not easy for anyone. What upsets me most is how quickly and how bitterly people look for someone to blame, and how loudly and irrationally they do the blaming. :frown: No matter what one says or explains they can’t accept that we’re all in it together, there’s no “us and them”. Yesterday’s meeting was terrible, and I am going to ask the principal to excuse me from attending any more.

Ajnonell – My sympathy to you as you face work challenges. :flowerforyou: Repeat after me, “Work to live, don’t live to work”.

Robin, I admire your courage to face change and do what’s best for your body. Kicking the alcohol habit :drinker: (That's coffee in my cup!)

Meg, isn’t it amazing how God sends us the messages we need to hear just when we need them? Hang on to that story, “but they are worth it :love: ” You must also find time for re-charging yourself, or your "well of compassion" really will run dry. Take care. :flowerforyou:

It's my supervision day so I can wear a reflector vest and wander the school hallways chatting up six year olds. :happy:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

October goals:
    Try a different drop-in exercise class at the Rec Centre each week.
    Re-start New Rules of Lifting for Life
    Go for a walks with Buster-the-Dog
    Stay positive when folks get negative at work, surround myself with positive people.
    Count my blessings - out loud at staff meetings if necessary!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Nice to have an over 50 for October - I guess it's for every month. This is the first time I saw this.

Goals:

Just joined a gym
    Planning to go three times a week to new gym
    Try to eat at least 1300/day
    Zumba once a week
    1 pint of cottage cheese a week.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ha! I looked at the Sept. thread and thought "Only 60 posts? Yay, I'm not too far behind!" Oh, well.

I lost 4.3 pounds in Sept., and a LOT of inches: 2 off my waist, 3 off my hips, one from chest, one each arm and leg, for a total of 10 inches. I'll celebrate now :drinker: , but only virtually. I had a couple of glasses of wine with my sister on Saturday night and had a headache for the next three days. Not eating =/= drinking.

I added walking to my routine, so for Sept. I worked out on P90X for six days a week and walked 25 - 30 miles each week, starting in the second week. I really enjoy getting outside.

Did I find some joy in my life? I think I did. I'm working hard on letting my feelings just relax. I'm generally a pretty passionate person, but I'm finding I can channel that passion into exercise and be pretty chill the rest of the time. The downside? I'm not getting ANYTHING done. Before, I used to work in the yard, clean the house, do all the cooking and shopping and laundry and such, wash the cars, any maintenance stuff - now, I went out and put up some framing on my garden fence, stopped half-way through, and the boards are still sitting in the lawn. Weeding? Not done. Oh, well. I'll find a balance at some point. I bought the Happiness Project and am reading it now.

And I'm drinking water. I've slowed down a bit the past few days (hence the headache), but my overall consumption is way up. I'm eating very healthy, but I'm just going to embrace the fact that I will have a snack of tortilla chips every day and fold that into my calories. For whatever reason, that's the one thing I'm not giving up :).

I have no idea what goals to have for October, so I'm going to read for a bit before I decide. I'm pretty sure it's going to have something to do with getting my finances in order since it's been weighing on my mind a lot lately.

Cheers,

M.
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!

I spent six hours yesterday making a big dent in the paperwork. I'm hoping that another six hours today will see it caught up! I'm bad about remembering to do it, and it accumulates.

I ordered the grilled salmon at the meeting last night, with no sauce, ate only half of the potatoes and skipped the dessert, so it went better than I anticipated. :smile: I've been looking for a service organization to give some time to, and this may be a good fit for me. I love that it supports women both locally and worldwide, as I have a firm belief in women supporting women. Just look at this group! :flowerforyou:

Kate -- Huge congratulations on losing 25 lbs. in just 2 months -- that's amazing! You should read The Hunger Games books, which are much better than the movie. The movie was good, but I wasn't sure if it could stand on it's own without having read the books first. My daughter gave them to me to read last year.

Meg -- I loved your post about kids "being worth it." We all have our moments (or years!) of frustration with our kids, but I know that mine are the greatest blessing in my life and definitely worth it despite all of the trials and tribulations.

Lin -- So glad that your employers are extending health coverage for another year. It's hard to find coverage at our age, with our pre-existings! AARP turned me down for coverage because I take blood pressure and cholesterol meds -- I hadn't realized those were enough to disqualify me, as they seem to be the norm at this point in life. What if there were really something wrong!

Liz -- That's terrific that DH is going to help you paint. There's nothing like a fresh coat of paint to spruce things up! Are you going to do anything adventurous with colors?

Dar -- I had a BFF in college who shared my birthday, and I always called her my twin. Unfortunately, we've lost touch. I'm glad that you have such a great friend in your life.

Milagros -- You CAN do this! You WILL do this! You ARE a winner! How was your first day? Just take one day at a time, and you'll see your confidence grow stronger as you grow smaller.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh, Linda - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It's been weighing on my mind a bit lately too - being October, having just had a mammogram, knowing far too many people who are afflicted. It's another reason to get back on that healthy eating horse (not eating a horse though!) - just knowing we're eating healthy foods and getting our bodies fit is working towards the goal of eliminating a lot of the illnesses that afflict us and our friends constantly.

Peace to you my friend -

M.
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    mwheatcraft54 -- Your post came in while I was writing mine, but I couldn't let it pass without comment: Woohoo!!! Huge congratulations on the weight loss and the inch loss! :flowerforyou:
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

Well, today is my weekly WW weigh-in and I'm interested to see how my scale compares to theirs. It's still very chilly and windy with intermittent rain (HA, I sound like I'm giving a weather report), so I'll make sure I 'layer up' so I can strip down before I hop on that scale! Lots of laundry, cleaning and food prep today ~ don't mind it though because of the weather. I managed to complete my exercise goal yesterday with 45 min on the stationary bike.

Robin, hope your tummy is feeling better today. Do you wear a Fitbit? Only asking because you seem to know exactly how many flights of stairs you do in a day. I have one and just LOVE it ~ my only problem is remembering to put it on in the morning or transferring it when I change clothes! :ohwell: I also like that you can wear it on your bra and it's so tiny that no one notices. One of my October goals is to strive for 10,000 steps every day too.

Kathy, I have such good intentions at the start of a new month but sometimes I start to lose speed as I go along ~ here's to a strong October!:drinker:

Wesecg, good plan for the Twizzlers (I hate them too).

Kate, well done on your loss this week ~ do you do WW? We're having our DD and her family over for dinner. Just bought a small turkey because our DS and his wife won't be coming this year. I also picked up a couple of extra turkey legs so I could have one ~ the sodium content in the turkey was too high for me.

Meg, you're so right ~ we are ALL worf it!

I'm out of time for posting (don't want to be late for my WW meeting!:noway:

Welcome to all newcomers! Wishing everyone a productive happy day...

Deborah:flowerforyou:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lovely Tuesday,

Welcome to all you newbies, keep coming back and let us get to know you:flowerforyou:

Andreajp-sounds like you did pretty good with your Sept goals and it's always pick me up when you start taking care of appearances, it's the small things that keep you going on this life changing journey:flowerforyou:

drkatiebug-how exciting knowing that a granddaughter is on the way:flowerforyou: Good goals, maybe if you breakup your goal of 1 hr walk a day to 2 half hours you might find it easier to fit in:huh: Let us know when that little on arrives.

janehadji-how frustrating that the meeting is at an Italian place, I know it's hard to keep on track at places like that especially when they are only offering 3 meals from which to choose:grumble: About Chuck E Cheese, we hadn't been in one since our #2 son was in elementary school and he'll be 31 on Thursday:noway: I will say that the pizza the kids were eating didn't even look like something I'd want and my hubby kept saying if I wanted a piece I could have some...YUCK...I chose to keep drinking my diet drink and wait until we got home to eat:wink: Congrats on eating the Salmon at your meeting...I dooo so love Salmon:bigsmile:

Deborah-what great goals you have set for October. You must have been posting at the same time I did...hoping you have a great WW meeting with results that you are hoping for:flowerforyou:

Robin-sorry you are under the weather, hoping you are feeling better soon:drinker:

Kathy-it's such a good feeling to know that no matter how last month was there is always a new month ahead to get us back on track:flowerforyou:

laarae-your goals are so well rounded....I guess I'm just not that organized to think past this one month:ohwell:

wessecg-paying the kids to not trick or treat? When my kids were little I used to take them to the mall and / or the church fall festival so they never did trick or treat...I love your goal of buying twizzlers...but not sure if I'd be able to do that I just really dislike giving something I don't like:laugh:

littlelady62- Welcome:flowerforyou: great goals.

Kate- :noway: #25 in two months...YOU HAVE DONE GREAT:drinker: Walking instead of waiting for the bus, well as long as the weather is good I'd say go for it. :flowerforyou:

Cathy- good job of keeping away from the chocolate bars....popping popcorn was a good idea:flowerforyou: Hoping that the leg brace helps with the pain you are in right now.

Peggy-Welcome back:flowerforyou: You know the drill, jump back in and let us know how you are doing. Hoping that the new work enviroment is better for no naughty snacks hanging around.

anjoneill- sorry to hear that your job is not going well...something I can relate to as mine is pretty bad right now too. Only #5 left to reach your goal...this could be your month:drinker:

Meg-you did really well with your September goals, I know that for most of us one of the hardest things to get into the habit of is drinking plenty of water. I finally made the determination that I was going to get it done by having a glass of water (16oz) at breakfast, lunch & dinner and anything else is a bonus...and I feel like I'm drying out if I don't drink that much...but it took me quite a few months to make that a habit. When your daughters are grown and moved away you will remember when and be able to say it was worth it...hang in there:flowerforyou:

youngfleur-good October goals:flowerforyou:

DeeDee- Three posts on Monday:noway: What a woman. You are amazing meeting your September goals and what you have set for yourself in October, with determination like that you are sure to see some positive movement on your ticker:drinker:

Liz- you hang in there with your daughter:flowerforyou: That sirloin soup sounds good want to share the receipe?

Kim-Welcome:flowerforyou: great goals, you are starting Turbo Jam:noway: I'm impressed.

yoyonomore-those last few pounds seem to be the hardest to lose but with how far you have already come you are sure to reach your goal:drinker: keep it up.

Lin-that's great news that your former employer is going to continue to have the health coverage for you. This could be your year:flowerforyou:

Michele-:laugh: I'm sure you wanted to go to Chuck E Cheese too....That's one of those memories that makes you feel good.

Micki-hoping that shot works for your hip. When hubby had his hip problems he went and got a shot and unfortunately it only worked for about 3 days but it didn't stop us from going on our trip the England & Scotland....I told hubby he'd have to get a cane at Harrod's as a help & souvenir which he did :wink: he really needed it and was glad he got it even though it was pretty spendy...hoping your shot is better than his was:flowerforyou:

Terri-sorry to hear you have been sick:flowerforyou: Hoping that October gets you on the road to health and reaching toward your goal of losing for Christmas.

Dar-how fun that you share a birthday and that your children are so close too, that makes for a very special friendship:flowerforyou:

Amanda-good plan to stay to yourself and keep away from the negative people....they can always get you down. Hoping your plan to get rid of the bloating works.:drinker:

Tigress-congrats on the #3 loss, yep it's good to have a plan for the future so you won't be struggling to relose those pounds again:drinker:

Nancy-you have a good day chatting up those six year olds:wink:

M-congrats on your Sept loss...but more those lost inches:love: that's GREAT!

When i got home last night hubby had just finished his workout so I was in the basement alone, just me and the evening news, but did get in a good 35 mins. and followed it up with Salmon for dinner....love my salmon:love:

I do love the when Fall comes and the TV shows start up on their Fall line up. Last night we watched our Sunday night show that we'd DVR'd Once Upon A Time and both of us are just really enjoying it.

It sounds like everyone is setting some great goals for October, let's keep it up and meet some of those goals. Everyone keep logging, drinking and moving to a healthier life:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Can someone tell me if my net calorie graph indicates that I am doing well, or something wrong? I think it means that I am under my goal for eating 1420 calories a day. Is that correct? I am actually eating more calories than that but fitbit adds all my working/working calories back in. I'm steadily losing so it must be ok, but what does this graph say??

NetCalories.jpg
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That was supposed to be walking/working.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Tues.
    Just got a call from my friend.She has a mass in her lung.
    Gonna see Violet today,other friend`s son`s 6 bd.Going to pumpkin patch and Chuchie Cheese.
    Do what you can to make it a good,healthy day!
    HUG
    jane
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd share my blog post from this morning. I've been struggling a bit over the last month, scale going the wrong way. :grumble: You're all very inspiring, and I thank you for that! :flowerforyou:

Realization Station
    Posted on 10/02/2012 by jb_2011

The weight-loss radio is blaring away this morning, screaming out warnings of pending doom and gloom. I've tried turning down the volume in order to decrease the impact but it just won't budge. I've located the power switch and found it to be stuck in the ON position, so I've decided the only way I'll be able to turn it off is to smash the entire thing to bits, using brute force and an extra large hammer.

The announcer is saying that the engine is losing steam even though the destination is still a ways off. And worse, due to a few rather quiet earthquakes, there are road blocks and rockslides that continue to thwart the efforts of forward motion on the road of self-improvement. Work crews have been on vacation for the last month causing a total shutdown of progress. Rocks continue to fall, wreaking greater havoc by adding many more tons of rubble to be removed from the roadway.

It could take weeks before the work crews will return, as no one has been able to verify their whereabouts. It's been said that they're prone to wreckless abandon while on leave, having not a care in the world as they go galavanting around the countryside, whooping, hollering and completely living it up by eating ice cream every night. Efforts are being made to call in a temporary crew, but so far none have been located.

Always trying to look on the positive side, I realize the absence of work crews will allow plenty of time to address the issue of loss of power in the engine. The steam has dissipated and the fuel supply has dwindled. Additionally, there is something amiss in the way the pistons are firing. Definitely not all of them are working properly, which I understand means a complete engine overhaul. The willingness to get-up-and-go simply must be rejuvinated. I'm certain that I need a new set of spark plugs.

Now where is that hammer!

:smile: jb
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

I have been MIA from here for ages and decided that October 1 was a good place to turn over a new leaf especially as there are so many of them on my driveway from the large maple tree in my neighbour's yard.

Back to aquafit this week as Lawn Bowling finished last weekend for the season. Doing aquafit twice a week and will try to do other walking and stuff on the other days. Planning on a walk to the library and then on to other stores to look for the mini-speakers that fit my mp3 player.

I've been thinking about getting a pedometer - I have two (same model) that were given when I twice did a sponsored walk. However, they both have the buttons on the front and when I bend down it clears the screen back to 0, so unless I'm constantly looking at it, I have no idea how many steps I've taken. Was just looking at Fitbit after reading other people's comments on this thread, but it looks more complex that I need because I don't have i-pad, phone etc.

Must get ready for my students who will be here soon (I teach lace making to adults).