Healthy Foods I am scared of....

Options

Replies

• jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love all those on your list, except Quinoa. Tried it for the first time last week (Roasted Garlic flavor) and it was just so-so. Kind of afraid of sushi...or anything slimy. And not afraid of them, but I don't like anything with raw tomatoes. Their smell and texture makes me sick. Cooked, or anything made with tomatoes is fine. Oh, and any kind of meat on a bone. I have to get a filet or boneless skinless. All the veins and bones just turn me off. I am weird.
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, and I'm the lone weirdo out there when it comes to this, but is anyone else scared to try certain foods? For me, there are LOT of healthy foods that I have NEVER had, and I am scared to try. A few of them, I have finally tried, with both good and bad outcomes.

1.) Cottage Cheese - I finally tried this - and now I eat it on an almost daily basis.
    LOVE cottage cheese!

2.) Greek Yogurt - This was not a good experience - I think I am scarred for life.
    I think I a lot of people are thrown off this just by expecting something different - it's not at all like normal yogurt. However, mix in some honey, add some berries and granola, and you have a wonderful, filling breakfast. I also use it in place of sour cream in lots of recipes!

3.) Hummus - what is this stuff? What do you eat it with? Do you make it, or buy it?
    I make it, because it's cheaper, but whatever you want to do! It's great on sandwiches, with pita, on baby carrots, with chips, etc.

4.) Avocados - Not sure why, but I just CAN'T do this. And again - don't know what to eat it with, how to prepare it, anything.
    Also in love with avocados - spread them on toast and sprinkle with sea salt, make guacamole, add them sliced to sandwiches, make huevos rancheros and add some avocado, dice it and make a sort of salsa, mash it up with eggs for avocado egg salad, blend it with lemon and olive oil and salt and pepper for a creamy pasta sauce...endless!

5.) Sweet Potatos - They look weird.
    But are so tasty! Boil and mash them for a sweeter take on the usual, add them to baked goods, make french fries, cube and roast them...

6.) Quinoa - I don't even know what this is, or what time of day this food is supposed to be eaten? Is it breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?
    It's wonderful! You can eat it any time of day :) I like making a quinoa porridge for breakfast sometimes...quinoa is great in salads for lunch...and quinoa cakes, with a poached egg on top, are a wonderful dinner!

What foods are you scared of?
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My fiance and his family looooove canned fish, and I don't mean tuna. I mean those whole sardines or anchovies or octopus sitting in a can with oil. The look, smell, and taste all make me gag. There are a handful of other things I don't like (mustard, horseradish, beets, and chunks of avocado- love a good guac though) but no food creeps me out like that canned fish. Oh, and anything with tentacles. I love calamari but leave out the suction cups please!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    1.) Cottage Cheese - Not a fan. I don't have much use for it at all
    2.) Greek Yogurt - Love the Chobani brand with fruit.
    3.) Hummus - Hummus is a dip made from chickpeas. You can make it yourself or buy it pre-made. It is a great appetizer served with veggies, chips or pita bread. Can also be used in wraps. High in protein
    4.) Avocados - I love avocados, mash them with chopped onions, tomato, cilantro, salt, lime juice to make guacamole. Eat with tortilla chips. Great appetizer. Also good as a topping to many Mexican foods or in place of mayo on sandwich or sliced into a salad. A source a GOOD fat.
    5.) Sweet Potatoes - Great veggie. Favorite way is cut into bite-sized cubes, coated in grape-seed oil, salt, cayenne and rosemary, then roasted in the oven. Lot's of recipes on the internet.
    6.) Quinoa -Quinoa is a very nutritional grain. Can be used in place of rice or oatmeal. We use it in salads for lunch but it's fairly versatile. I recommend you Google it.

edited to add: I can't really think of a health food that I'm afraid of BUT...Oysters gross me out to no end. I don't even want it in my mouth cooked, much less raw. The texture and smell make me gag. And yes, I try them every so often to see if I'll change my mind but so far... BLEH!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, and I'm the lone weirdo out there when it comes to this, but is anyone else scared to try certain foods? For me, there are LOT of healthy foods that I have NEVER had, and I am scared to try. A few of them, I have finally tried, with both good and bad outcomes.

1.) Cottage Cheese - I finally tried this - and now I eat it on an almost daily basis.
    2.) Greek Yogurt - This was not a good experience - I think I am scarred for life.
    3.) Hummus - what is this stuff? What do you eat it with? Do you make it, or buy it?
    4.) Avacados - Not sure why, but I just CAN'T do this. And again - don't know what to eat it with, how to prepare it, anything.
    6.) Quinoa - I don't even know what this is, or what time of day this food is supposed to be eaten? Is it breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

1) cottage cheese is yummy. some people like it with fruit. I like it sprinkle black pepper on it.
    2) Chobani just cam eout with some GREAT flavors - I suggest magno or the strawberry banana or passion fruit. Mix it well (fruit on the bottom) and give it another try.
    3)Hummus (chick peas) -- I avoided this food forever but absoluetly LOVE it now. I like spicy flavors of it and I use it like dip for veggies. So good. Some people use it like a condiment as well on sandwhich's.
    4) Avocados - so freakin good!!! Dice a quarter of one and put in a salad or as a topping on tacos. Key is that it is ripe -- but not TOO ripe.
    5) Sweet Potatoes - really, they look weird? So does pizza. salt, pepper & little bit of butter --- awesome!
    6) Quinoa - Ihave no clue what this is.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hummus - Make your own. As a starter, check out Alton Brown's "Turbo hummus" recipe. My favorite way to eat it is as a veggie dip with celery. Good and good for you.

Quinoa - Can be treated like risotto rice, but my favorite application is a quinoa and black bean salad. I've actually added a recipe I found on recipes.com here on MFP.

Avacados - my favorite way is sliced and eaten straight with a little salt & pepper. However, they are freakin' awesome on a BLT.

Sweet potatoes - What BobOki said. They make awesome fries.

The only foods I don't like are ones that my Granny made me eat as a kid. Buttermilk (although I love to use it in baking) and Brussel sprouts. Not a fan of green peppers either, although I've been making an effort to eat them in they're grilled. Girlfriend is still trying to get me to give brussel sprouts a second chance.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    1.) Cottage Cheese - hell no.
    2.) Greek Yogurt - The plain is GROSS. I like honey vanilla.
    3.) Hummus - its like a dip. I have never made it but its fairly easy to whip up.
    4.) Avacados - only in guacamole
    5.) Sweet Potatos - love them
    6.) Quinoa - rice or pasta subsitute
    I wont eat cottage cheese or any animal organ (liver, heart, tongue, etc).
  • ggsmamma
    ggsmamma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I will try almost anything but I do HATE beets. They taste like dirt. And, I am not a fan of store bought red meat. If my husband did not run up a mountain and kill it, I probably will not be eating it. The thought of those yucky slaughter houses and all the hormones in red meat gross me out. I do love hummus but I gotta watch the portions -- I could munch down a bag of chips and a tub of hummus in no time flat. Good luck with your culinary adventures.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The only foods I don't like are ones that my Granny made me eat as a kid. Buttermilk (although I love to use it in baking) and Brussel sprouts. Not a fan of green peppers either, although I've been making an effort to eat them in they're grilled. Girlfriend is still trying to get me to give brussel sprouts a second chance.

I love Brussels Sprouts almost any way you can cook them, but perhaps you should try them roasted. Coat in olive-oil or grape seed oil, season with salt, pepper and maybe garlic powder (optional) and put in the oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes. The BEST way to eat them.
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    1.) Cottage Cheese -Hated it since I was a kid but just bought some the other day, so gonna give it another chance!
    2.) Greek Yogurt - I love love greek yoghurt especially the total brand with sliced bananas and honey
    3.) Hummus - Hummus on anything is awesome
    4.) Avocados - Yummy, so portion control is necessary - i have to remind myself that a serving is half
    5.) Sweet Potatoes - Love these
    6.) Quinoa - Used to eat it quite a lot a few years ago but have not had it for ages

Basically love everything on this list apart from cottage cheese - its the texture that freaks me out!
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese but sometimes my body doesn't like the texture of it so I have to take a break.
    Never ever been a fan of green yogurt
    I love hummus! I usually eat it with carrots and celery and peppers. it's made out of chickpeas
    I used to really love avocados but i've recently become allergic to them :( I can't even use hair products that have avocado oil in it.
    Sweet potatoes are delicious! I hear they're good with brown sugar but I've never tried that.
    Quinoa is something that I'm not brave enough to try yet lol
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    funny...
    Well I hate hominy so that's a food I refuse....
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    for me it is kale... kale chips... everyone keeps talking about how good they are. i am just afraid to try.
    sushi... other japanese food. i used to work with a girl who was japanese and although i liked the cooked food she brought, i coudln't bring myself to eat the raw stuff. very nice girl and a good cook just didn't care for the raw food.
    beets and pickles... hate those... olives... yuck.. bad reaction one time and maybe i'm allergic?
    i'm sure there are others that i can't think of right now... oh yeah sauerkraut just smells disgusting...
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    1.) Cottage Cheese - I'm scared to eat it by itself but I will add it to a protein shake.
    2.) Greek Yogurt - Plain is nasty but flavored ones are great.
    3.) Hummus - I've always wanted to try it but I never have.
    4.) Avacados - Love, love, love avocados!!!! So yummy on a burger, taco, salad, or just sliced up on the side of my dinner. Mmmmm!
    5.) Sweet Potatos - I just had one for the time about two weeks ago and it was quite amazing. It's surprisingly good. But you can add cinnamon butter to it and it's like a dessert.
    6.) Quinoa - I don't what it is or even how to prepare it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

4.) Avacados - Not sure why, but I just CAN'T do this. And again - don't know what to eat it with, how to prepare it, anything.

1) I eat cottage cheese every day, but I've always liked it. :)
    2)Greek yogurt-I tried it once. Made the mistake of getting plain. :/ I think I'll have to give it another chance though I am scared now.
    3)I like certain kinds of hummus. I've had friends that do make there own. I'm sure you could find some recipes online. But it's good on crackers, bread, etc.
    4) Avacados-yuck!
    5)Sweet potatoes) I'm scared of, always been a white potato girl. I really need to work on that one.
    6)Quinoa- I'm with you on that one. I don't even know what it is either lol
  • shantellrae
    Options
    I love all of these foods! My food that I hate are TOMATOES. Sick. I also hate ketchup & mayo.
  • nicebumwhereyoufrom
    Options
    Onions. My mom says I'll grow out of it, but I'm 19 now and there's no sign of any onions entering my body! lol.
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are delicious. Just bake them like you would a regular russet. You don't even need to add butter or anything. Yum.
    Quinoa is a grain. Similar to rice in it's cooking and uses. I eat it at dinner and add just about anything to it. It's also yummy as hot cereal. Think oatmeal.
    Avocados are great on their own w/ a lil s&p. Spread on crackers, add to salads or sandwiches. Add to corn, black beans, quinoa or rice, little cilantro and a squeeze of lime and some protein like chicken, steak or grilled shrimp.
  • akh1030
    akh1030 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Celery and peas! They are the nastiest things on the planet and I've always hated them since I was a little kid. My mom used to say I'd grow out of it, but almost 33 and still don't like them. And, I've tried them multiple ways, just ain't happenin.

I use to be afraid to try brussel sprouts, but this summer I saw some fresh ones split in half and packaged with garlic and black pepper. I thought, why not try grilling them. AMAZING! Now, it's one of my husband and mine's favorite side dishes!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    the only foods i don't like are greek yogurt (in general i think yogurt tastes like chemicals and greek yogurt like chemicals and rot), celery, green and red bell peppers, bone marrow, orange cheese, melted cheese, and hot sweet things. i also don't like excessively oily things like mayo or avocados except in the context of guacamole.