Dry Wit? Geek / Nerd? Need Friends / Support? Me Too!!

Options

Replies

• ak_honda
    ak_honda Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was a fan of Sealab 2020... Definitely not the same.

I haven't watched that, the original series, but absolutely loved watching Sealab 2021
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yay more geeks/nerds!
    I love all things Sci-fi. In fact on my vacation, I watched a marathon of Legend of the Seeker on Netflix. I love Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, Red Dwarf. Dr. Who, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Walking dead, Truelood, Being Human (BBC version) and my friend in Australia has got me watching a quiz show called QI. Its effin great! I also play a MMORPG called World of Warcraft. Do I qualify?
  • steven_goldilocks
    Options
    Hello all,

Geek here. The biggest influences on my early life were a Japanese show called Starfleet (X-Bomber). It's where I got my deep and unshakeable love of giant fighting robots from. Plus, Battle of the Planets, The Prisoner (the original strength series, not the remake with Jesus facing off against Gandalf), and ST:TNG, and a school library that for some unknown reason was 70% science fiction hardbacks (mostly the yellow and green Gollancz SF ones, for those with a fondness for old book design). And things like The Tomorrow People and all the other weird and cool British science fiction kids TV shows. And Philip K **** and Michael Moorcock, who blew my mind and opened up my world.

At the moment I'm loving Game Of Thrones, the current crop of actually watchable superhero movies, and various other things too numerous to mention. Plus, of course, Doctor Who, which I will forever love regardless of quality.

When I was little I wanted to be Batman. Now I'm an adult I still want to be Batman, but I'd also settle for being Midnighter.

Saw Dredd last night and am still so gleefully happy that someone made a Judge Dredd film that actually got the character. And Karl Urban's incredible acting chin was truly a thing of wonder and delight.

Anyways, I'm coming back later to scout the list for friends, but feel free to add me if you like.

S.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Right seeing as we are opening up..........

When my 2 boys were in infant school we used to get up at 6.30 and have our breakfast in front of the tv watching the animated version of Roughnecks: Starship troopers. Or RazaK's Roughnecks. They brought them out on dvd as campaigns, The Hydora campaign, The Klendathu Campaign etc.

I bought them for my boys now 20 and 18 and we sat and re watched them. The story lines are excellent and the bugs are just the same as the movie (there is only one movie, I do not acknowlege any others) although the animation seemed slightly stilted, I still love them.

I think I need to end now with, ''Hello my name in Jacqueline and I, a sci fi-aholic''
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my co-worker, who happens to be a bigger geek than myself, that I was going to sit down on Monday on my day off and watch a Dr. Who Marathon.... She said she approves of this.
  • lilivortex
    lilivortex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So glad to have found people who speak my language. And I'm equally as glad to see a troupe of nerds and geeks who want to get their fitness on. Lili is the name. Disney, TV, Movie, Role Playing, Gaming, Reading, and Cosplaying is the game. I'm a fan of Star Wars, Stargate, Farscape, everything Joss Whedon, Batman, Harry Potter, Monty Python, Mel Brooks, and other such nonsense that should all be listed on my profile.

I'm sick of the "geeky chicks are all fat" crap and have come to prove that statement false!

I've read through this thread and am glad to see other geeks that are willing to support each other. To infinity and beyond!

-Lili
  • lizettye
    Options
    love it!!
  • pinkkeith
    Options
    I'm huge geek! I use to go to Star Trek conventions once or twice a year, but being old school they turned into a huge circus and I don't go very often. I love video games and currently very addicted to Lord of the Rings Online. My favorite pick up line is "hey, baby, I'm a level 80 paladin." It never seems to work.
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This is a copy of the message I included with lili's friend request... after reading her profile, I couldn't resist!!! lol :
    You are hereby accepted in to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.

The Sorting Hat has taken it upon itself to place you, in advance, into the newly formed House of Nerd

In a new class offering, your professors for time travel will be Dr. Emmett Brown (Physical Mechanics), Dr. Sam Beckett (Quantum Mechanics) and The Doctor (Timey, Wimey, Stuff).

Due to this new class, please add the following to your purchases in Diagon Alley:

Sonic Screwdriver - 1
    Flux Capacitor - 1
    Mr. Fusion - 1
    (Length of string will be provided by Dr. Beckett)

We look forward to your time with us,

The Nerd Herd

Keith, Liz, and lil... welcome to our ever growing asylum!!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ahh...my people.

But can I be a true nerd/geek and still like sports? Why yes, yes I can! I temper my love of sci-fi and fantasy with a dose of cycling and football (yes, I mean soccer), although that in itself makes me an outcast in this strange redneck world I live in (rural AZ). Did I pick TV service based on whether or not I could get Dr. Who? Um, yeah. Am I not the only one that thinks a 50gb cap on broadband is ridiculous? Hopefully not. Why is my Kindle over-flowing with classic sci-fi and pulp novels? Because I love them! I can proudly say I turned my wife into a nerd/geek...before she knew nothing about Dr. Who, BSG, X-Files, Red Dwarf, Monty Python et.al., but now she's the one setting the DVR for things of that nature.

Nerd/geek whatever and proud of it!
  • lilivortex
    lilivortex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm huge geek! I use to go to Star Trek conventions once or twice a year, but being old school they turned into a huge circus and I don't go very often. I love video games and currently very addicted to Lord of the Rings Online. My favorite pick up line is "hey, baby, I'm a level 80 paladin." It never seems to work.

Well of course that pick up line won't work. You say Level 80 insinuating that you play an MMORPG... Yikes. Not that that is a bad thing, it's just an intense thing. It screams commitment.
    You should say Level 20 insinuating that you have mastered the art of Table Top Role Playing. Way less demanding that way, and much more of an actual challenge.
    ;P

Also, that invite was fantastic. Thank you so very much.

-Lili
  • murmuration
    murmuration Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Another geeky type here. This week sees the last in the current short series of Doctor Who (sob), but the first of the new (but sob, last) series of Fringe. I've loved DW since I was a child of the 70s. Also love X-Files, LOTR and others.
    Happy to have friend requests sent my way! :)
  • gse313
    Options
    See what happens when you get ners together... We are worse than tha Energizer Bunny... this thread just keeps going, and going, and going, and..... LOL

Spatial & murm... Welcome to the nut house!!!

Lili... Glad you liked!! ;-)
  • gse313
    Options
    PLEASE tell me some of you have the Pond's final trip recorded and are willing to share... this is going to drive me CRAZY!!
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I had to watch it On Demand because my DVR has been flaky lately.
  • gse313
    Options
    you may have seen it on my wall... the local (US) cable company's OnDemand not only has not posted Angels in Manhattan, but ALL episodes of season 7 are now gone... Thanks to one of the members in our asylum, I was able to watch it on a secondary site as BBC America didn 't even post it for streaming and all other BBC sites are Geo-Locked for local IP streaming only.
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Geek/Nerd here also - love Dr Who - remember even before and after Tom Baker - bit older at 54 but have heaps to lose still. Love Sci-Fi - read Heinlein and Assimov.

Other geek/nerd types can feel free to add me. We have all models of the TRS80 and still know how to play them - I even have and use a Reverse Polish Notation Calculator and EMACS is my favourite editor (VI has been overtaken)

Have a great day everyone!

I like your sci-fi authors. I wonder if you've tried Orson Scott Card and Robert J. Sawyer? Two of my favorites in the more contemporary set. I am finally working through Anne McCaffrey's stuff (at least some of it). I've been rebelling against it for years due to my sister trying too hard to push it on me. Same story for the LOTR stuff - yes, I know. But that by itself is not enough to revoke my nerd card; being offset as it is by my passion for all things space-related - especially the development of human space travel. Or maybe the fact I tutor math and physics because it's fun. Or the fact that my idea of a great evening out usually involves a video-game arcade at some point, and if it doesn't, the headliner is most likely to be famous for making people laugh (Weird Al, Paul and Storm, etc.).

Anyway, I've sent an add request to you. Others, feel free to add me if you choose. I've lost track of who all I have/haven't requested.
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a GEEK! Ok,... ok.... I played D-n-D when they introduced the new character class 'the cleric' ('74? '76?)...and I LARP....play wow....read everything in sight (some of my favorite things to read is instructions to complicated games)....and am trying to build my battle-bot in my garage...LOVE Dr WHO....Firefly...Hell anything on Sci-Fi (please... it is NOT Sy-Fy; change it back!) and the science channel (Survivorman! How things are made etc.) Want to build my own pumpkin catapult....err... where was I again? Ahh... my wife just explained that I am a dork, not a geek... *sigh alas.....:tongue:
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No, I believe you belong to the category of nerd or geek, but probably not dork. Unless (as is likely) your wife knows things about you you aren't telling us. I've seen various descriptions, but I think geeks and nerds are mostly people who enjoy unconventional and generally technical/scientific interests, while dorks are people who are weird and silly in general, but not specifically interested in geeky/nerdy interests. I differentiate a geek from a nerd by level of obsession - a geek is generally a very focused person - interested in a single or a few categories. You appear to be a nerd - you like science and science fiction, enjoy gaming, and things that make you think. That's pretty much where I put myself.

I like people in all three categories; one of my best friends is definitely a dork with some nerdish qualities. I'm more nerd with a little dork (you can't grant your teenaged daughter permission to marry Weird Al if she can catch him and NOT consider yourself a dork on at least some level).

But that's just my opinion, and terminology. YMMV and all that.
  • MercuryDomini
    MercuryDomini Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm very much a geek. Loved Star Wars, Star Trek, my wife and I have been going to Dragon*Con in Atlanta, Ga for a couple of years now. I'm definitely more of a technology and sci fi geek than anything.

Ps. Han shot first