Do you think that thin people hate fat people, and why?

Options

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    No I dont hate anybody.
    Its the opposite, Fat people hate thin people
  • Qos_
    Qos_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    SOME people are incredibly shallow, I am big now but was incredibly fit and slim previously.. I've seen both ends of the scale. I find people treat you depending on their view of your attractiveness, when I was slimmer I got a lot of attention, now not so much (Thankfully). I find men just don't notice you and women are really catty or exclusive.

My Girlfriend lost a lot of weight and has inspired me, she says herself she feels no different in herself but the attention she now gets is phenomonal and actually makes her uncomfortable, she believes people are very judgemental!

Personally, the only person I judge in life is myself, somoene's weight is about as important as their eye colour or religion, it just doesn't factor. I'm not out to please anyone and if someone judges me, it says more about them and their shallow little lives than me.....
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I went to body conditioning last night. Just after we started warming up a larger lady( we will call her newbee) came in and started to join in.
    Another lady, who was in front of me, turned around and rolled her eyes ( we will call her rolly eye lady).

I left really disgusted with 'rolly eye lady' everyones got to start somewhere and neither she, or I, are that small! But I suppose that is life we will always judge each other. Just hope the 'newbee' comes back and shows 'rolly eye lady' a thing or two! :-)
  • dawnhayward
    Options
    I don't think hate is the right word. I think a lot of thin people disrespect fat people and think they can say what they like to them. My boss's wife works in the office two mornings a week and (my husband's view not mine) looks like the cartoon character out of the confused.com advert. You know the stick figure with stick out hair. She is so rude to me that if I didn't enjoy my job - and need the money - I would leave. :sad: She has made comments to the effect that I shouldn't be allowed to take as much luggage on a plane as her because I use up the weight allowance myself. Fat people are this, fat people are that etc. OK I am overweight at 13 and a half stone and doing everything I can to lose the weight but for various health issues I find it very difficult. I don't need insults - I need help and encouragement. I wouldn't dream of being rude back. If she sees an overweight person go past the office she will say they shouldn't be allowed out looking like that (even smartly dressed people). I have known many people that behave in the same way so she is not unique.

Good luck to all the "fatties" in their effort to lose the excess. :flowerforyou: I hope they have more success than I seem to be having. Perhaps I don't want Mrs. Boss to think I agree with what she says so I scupper my own plans. What do you think?
    Love Dawn xx
  • Qos_
    Qos_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I look down on myself for what I allowed to happen. How I allowed myself to live a lie. How can I help but look down on others too? It would be a weird reverse sort of hypocritical to only look down on my own poor behaviour and give everyone else a pass.

I would never say anything to anyone, of course. But I can't (wont!) censor my own thoughts.

This has to be one of the most honest views I have read, thanks for sharing.
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    All I can say is what I experienced. When I was overweight I had more " friends" . Once I lost all my weight I constantly hear sarcastic comments from the same girls ( who are overweight) that I look sick, I should gain some weight back, that I don't look good.... So not sure of its skinny people that don't like fat people... I lean more the other way... Nothing but painful jabs from my overweight " friends"
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think jerks come in all shapes and sizes and will always find someone to belittle to boost their own crappy self esteem.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Some people are just jerks.
    As this is kind of a jerky question to pose.

I don't think thin people hate fat people, I think jerks look for something to be a jerk about. Sometimes that may be weight.

I don't think fat people hate thin people, I think sometimes jerks look for something to be a jerk about.

Sometimes that comes from being insecure, sometimes it's just being a jerk.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was a thin kid. I was thin in university, and started putting on weight in my mid 20's. I joined a gym and did a really inefficient job of keeping it at bay. Worked for a few years, and then I got lazy (because my methodology sucked) and I started putting on weight slowly until recently. I've shed about 45 pounds and have somewhere between 15 and 30 to go.

So I was obese. I was fat because I was too lazy to fix it, to do the work, and educate myself on what I needed to do. And I was fooling myself into thinking that I wasn't as large as I actually way. When I imagined myself, I was still thin. My sense of identity was thin, even though I decidedly wasn't.

I look down on myself for what I allowed to happen. How I allowed myself to live a lie. How can I help but look down on others too? It would be a weird reverse sort of hypocritical to only look down on my own poor behaviour and give everyone else a pass.

I would never say anything to anyone, of course. But I can't (wont!) censor my own thoughts.

There is an outlier, which is medical conditions which make weight management very difficult, or impossible. If you look at the number of obese people in France, and then look at the number of obese people in the US and (to a lesser extent) Canada, it's quite obvious that this outlier isn't as prevalent as many would have us believe. Most people are fat because they eat too much, and don't exercise enough.

How can you help but look down on people who use motorized carts to haul their fat *kitten* around the oversized supermarkets, because they can't even manage to forage for their own foods unassisted in a building?

You can call me judgemental all you like. Ironically, when you do, you're being just as judgemental.

I have plenty of respect for a person who's overweight if I know they're working on it. If I see them eating massive calorie lunches every day? Not so much.

Thank you for this; it largely sums up my own thoughts far more eloquently than I can.

I was fat for a large percentage of my life. I got treated differently. And, to be honest, I could never be 'fat and proud' or consider myself a BBW (I typed BBQ then...unfortunate). I didn't feel proud of beautiful - I felt ashamed of my weight. Yet, for a very long time, I did nothing about it. I felt like I kind of deserved that treatment, because I treated my body with such inherent disrespect (armchair psychologists...stop right there).

I have very little time for overweight people who complain that they can't lose weight yet still fill their face full of junk. I also have very little time for people who eat far, far too little and support that lifestyle. Do I hate either? Not at all. I just couldn't support them, and I include the old me in that respect too.

As for people who are making changes to their lifestyle to improve their health - whatever their size, I will offer a mental high-five.
  • Freaky3kirsty
    Freaky3kirsty Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have to say at least in my life it is the other way round, I have a boss who is larger that I am who on every occasion she can tells me how unhealthy I am and critisises me for watching my weight and exercising.
    She and the rest of my office start a new diet every Monday and usually end up eating cake by Monday afternoon, if I say I dont want any I get called all kinds of names and made to feel like I am doing something wrong.
    Have felt on many occasions like just giving up.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    I don't think hate is the right word. I think a lot of thin people disrespect fat people and think they can say what they like to them. My boss's wife works in the office two mornings a week and (my husband's view not mine) looks like the cartoon character out of the confused.com advert. You know the stick figure with stick out hair. She is so rude to me that if I didn't enjoy my job - and need the money - I would leave. :sad: She has made comments to the effect that I shouldn't be allowed to take as much luggage on a plane as her because I use up the weight allowance myself. Fat people are this, fat people are that etc. OK I am overweight at 13 and a half stone and doing everything I can to lose the weight but for various health issues I find it very difficult. I don't need insults - I need help and encouragement. I wouldn't dream of being rude back. If she sees an overweight person go past the office she will say they shouldn't be allowed out looking like that (even smartly dressed people). I have known many people that behave in the same way so she is not unique.

Good luck to all the "fatties" in their effort to lose the excess. :flowerforyou: I hope they have more success than I seem to be having. Perhaps I don't want Mrs. Boss to think I agree with what she says so I scupper my own plans. What do you think?
    Love Dawn xx

wow your boss is awful! considering i'm 12 stone 12 right now I feel offended myself, she sounds like she needs a good slap into reality to show that people have feelings ! she's more ugly and disgusting for acting like that, i wish I could anomously email her and tell her she's a b *itch!
  • CyclngChick
    CyclngChick Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Being on the thinner side, I can say I don't hate larger people at all. The only issue I have with it is when one of my larger friends constantly complains that she is big and wants to lose weight, but then goes out and get 2 large cheeseburgers for lunch, or demolishes half of a large pizza. The complaining about not losing weight gets old after a while....
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Here is the email the News anchor received.

"It’s unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn’t improved for many years. Surely you don’t consider yourself a suitable example for this community’s young people, girls in particular.

Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you’ll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle. "
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I TRY not to judge anyone. Being on the far side of 300 pounds when I started this journey wasn't easy and the one pic in my profile was my wake up call.

I do, however, find myself being overly watchful now. Since I started watching what I eat, I've caught myself checking out other peoples shopping carts and plates in a restaurant. :angry: I try really hard not to do it, but it's become a habit that's going to be hard to break.

I have fat friends, skinny friends and average friends. My best friend is male and about average and has loved me through thick and thicker and never judged me!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When I was really thing (too thin to be healthy) I didn't hate fat people, I was scared of them.

I have Cibophobia, which is a fear of food, and struggled to understand how larger people could have that much of the stuff in their life when I struggled to consume the bare minimum.

(Yes I got 'fat' myself but that's courtesy of my blood sugar dipping and years of abusing my body.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I went to body conditioning last night. Just after we started warming up a larger lady( we will call her newbee) came in and started to join in.
    Another lady, who was in front of me, turned around and rolled her eyes ( we will call her rolly eye lady).

I left really disgusted with 'rolly eye lady' everyones got to start somewhere and neither she, or I, are that small! But I suppose that is life we will always judge each other. Just hope the 'newbee' comes back and shows 'rolly eye lady' a thing or two! :-)

I think you should have "accidentally" kicked rolly-eyes.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have to say at least in my life it is the other way round, I have a boss who is larger that I am who on every occasion she can tells me how unhealthy I am and critisises me for watching my weight and exercising.
    She and the rest of my office start a new diet every Monday and usually end up eating cake by Monday afternoon, if I say I dont want any I get called all kinds of names and made to feel like I am doing something wrong.
    Have felt on many occasions like just giving up.

Wow. Someone like that should give you strength of conviction.

Why would you want to end up like them? Hateful and obviously unhappy.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    gotta agree with you on this...when i was fit, the feedback from people in general was much better. now that im overweight..well lets just say things dont come as easy. My friend got the bypass and when she was fatter you know, people just kinda of bypassed her. Now that she is losing weight, its like people notice her..or could it be that she is coming out of the "fat shell"?
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I think that there is a sad reality of both fat hate and skinny hate. I don't think it's really that either side hates the other, but more that there are ignorant people of all shapes and sizes! :)

I do find that I am treated differently now that I am thin as compared to when I was plus sized, though. And it doesn't make me happy. I'm still the same person.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I never judge anyone................I only offer my fitness advice to my overweight friends when they ask.........