Loose v Lose

Options

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I think some people need to realise that there is a lot of people with spelling difficulty s i.e. special needs and dyslexia, also people from a poorer class background are not as educated as others so some people have a problem and find it very frustrating trying to spell, most people might say its common sense but I think it's nasty the way people can bully other people and be nasty because they don't right 100% . Picking on someone's intelligence is just like me picking on your weight so think about it the next time you feel the need to be nasty it's not nice getting bullied!!!! Also there's most prob a million spelling mistakes in there but IM NOT ASSED :laugh: :drinker:

Wow, "poorer class" people "are not as educated as others"? As other what, rich people? I know plenty of rich people that are not very well education and plenty of poor that are. I lived most of my life below the poverty line and am now working on my Masters degree and after that my Doctorate? Was there a rule I missed somewhere?
  • ScumbagSteve
    ScumbagSteve Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you're WRONG. It is LOOSE. Way to confuse everyone.

Are you being serious?

Yes 100%
  • Owsla135
    Owsla135 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you're WRONG. It is LOOSE. Way to confuse everyone.

Are you being serious?

Sshhhh... don't feed it...
  • Chrysopteron
    Chrysopteron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "I want to loose weight" always makes me think "loosen" - I suddenly get this image of someone sort of hula-hooping their love handles and other extra bits into a "freely swinging" mode in order to just pluck them off their hips manually. Actually looks fun!

And while we're at it: you "weigh" a certain amount of pounds, which makes up your "weight"...

And to those who feel "policed":

I am a foreigner. English is my third language. I spent time in school having to learn the difference. Reading it wrong time and time again makes te wrong "word image" look familiar and endangers my own correct and hard-earned spelling.

Nobody wants to bully people with dyslexia. It's called drawing their attention to a common mistake. Since people with dyslexia have to sort of learn by heart words with the spelling letter by letter, it is especially not fair to them to let it go unmentioned.

so, "loosen up"!!! ; )

BTW: What a tough life, being dyslexic AND overweight! ; ) (Oooohhhhhhhh, this will earn me no end of abuse, I bet...)
  • bsuzanne88
    bsuzanne88 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think some people need to realise that there is a lot of people with spelling difficulty s i.e. special needs and dyslexia, also people from a poorer class background are not as educated as others so some people have a problem and find it very frustrating trying to spell, most people might say its common sense but I think it's nasty the way people can bully other people and be nasty because they don't right 100% . Picking on someone's intelligence is just like me picking on your weight so think about it the next time you feel the need to be nasty it's not nice getting bullied!!!! Also there's most prob a million spelling mistakes in there but IM NOT ASSED :laugh: :drinker:

I completely agree.
    Way to really pick on someone who is just trying to help others and share their story. Don't be rude because of one little error. Way to make that person have a great start to their day. Happy Wednesday to the rest of you.
    Proud fan of MFP with or without the spelling mistakes.
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

Wow, "poorer class people are not as educated as others"? As other what, rich people? I know plenty of rich people that are not very well education and plenty of poor that are. I lived most of my life below the poverty line and am now working on my Masters degree and after that my Doctorate? Was there a rule I missed somewhere?
    I live in that class I live on an easte where boys and girls don't work everyone's on benefits there drinking an fighting most nights an all dropped out of school at 13 so yes there is about a 2 in 10 chance that's people won't go to college or work and most people don't get a 2nd chance and for anyone that wants to have a dig I am educated no I don't work but my partner does an no I'm not on benefits!
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ohh I about fell for the troll too.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Um, how many times I have seen this topic, again? At least three times a month, at least.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    grammarnazi_zpsc5fc5f1c.jpg

I love this!!!''
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You're gonna get in trouble! You're gonna get in trouble! You're gonna get in trouble!

Anyhow, I support you in your fight to end misused homonyms.

(But still, you're probably going to get a strike/warning for this. BTDT.)
  • bsuzanne88
    bsuzanne88 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Wow, "poorer class" people "are not as educated as others"? As other what, rich people? I know plenty of rich people that are not very well education and plenty of poor that are. I lived most of my life below the poverty line and am now working on my Masters degree and after that my Doctorate? Was there a rule I missed somewhere?

I don't think she was speaking in general about poor people. We all have different opinions of what is and isn't poor. Some people are always trying to degrade others just to make themselves feel better. This is where society goes wrong. A quiet correction would have been fine but to make an entire post of it, REALLY?!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't get overly worked up about it, but since the thread is here anyway.......

If you've made yourself a new workout regimen, that's what it is - - - a regimen - - - not a regiment nor a regime.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    grammarnazi_zpsc5fc5f1c.jpg

Bhaaahahahahahahahah! What drives me crazy is people that feel the need to correct other people's grammar. Who gives a rat's *kitten*?

rats-*kitten*.jpg
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    While I don't think that correcting others publicly is particularly good etiquette, what shocks me is that some people stand by their incorrect grammar and spelling. I really don't understand why someone wouldn't want to spell or write something correctly.

If we're just going to ignore them, why bother having rules for spelling and grammar at all? We might as well just throw out all the rules and write however we want to.

For that matter, let's throw out all the driving laws and drive however we want to, also.

Oh, wait. That already happened.
  • jackie2866
    jackie2866 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is the grammar police. The words "loose" and "lose" are not the same. The word LOOSE means "not tightly fixed in place." It is an adjective. The word LOSE means "ceased to have or retain." It is a verb.

If you are talking about how you have decreased your reading on the scale, use the word LOSE (or lost.)

If you are talking about how your clothes fit, use LOOSE.

Thank you for your attention.
    AMEN!!!
  • terrybjohnson
    Options
    Actually, I could care less! (Another misused assortment of words):smile:
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No one's perfect and typos happen - good luck in changing the world! LoL
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options