Registered Dietitian in TX here to answer questions.

Options

Replies

• FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Hi, Tony! I'm 4'10, 43 years old, 133 pounds and very confused. I want to lose about 15 more pounds, but it has taken me about 7 months to lose my first 15. My doctor told me that for my height I should be eating about 1000 calories a day. I can't do it! My BMR is 1214, so I'm currently trying to stay under 1200 calories a day, but when I do eat under 1200 calories the MFP always reminds me that I'm not eating enough calories and could be at risk for starvation bode.

Generally I'm still hungry, so when I exercise (about 3 - 5 times a week, walking/jogging, etc.,) I usually eat back my calories. I just read on your thread that I shouldn't do that. I do not have a gym membership and that is not an option, but I do have some dumbbells and some workout videos that I use sometimes. What can I do to speed up my fat loss?...or do I just need to keep doing what I'm doing?

If you feel your caloric deficit is already set to the lowest point and you're moving in the right direction, you're doing great. No need to rush your weight loss. The important thing is long term compliance and motivation. Try a slight calorie cut if anything.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Is it possible to lose weight when you hate, hate, HATE most vegetables?

I cannot stomach anything raw whatsoever. I can eat a cooked carrot if it is in a broth-y soup, and I like grilled red peppers, but that''s it. Salads - actually, anything green - nauseate me.

I have tried to like them, truly I have. I have put all kinds of herbs and flavorings on them, but I just can't choke them down without doing dry heaves.

Do I stand a snowball's chance in hades of losing weight without them? (I am 53 years old, 5"3" tall, weighing 225 and just started this website after trying every diet known to mankind)

Thank you kindly for your response!

PS....I also wanted to ask if there are any exercises I can do with two realllllllly bad knees (ACL and meniscus tears in both). Thank you!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I am 23 years old, 5'5", weigh ~154 pounds, and do not know my BF%. I am female and have no medical conditions that I know of besides lactose intolerance.

My measurements:

Breast: 38
    Waist:28
    Hips: 38
    Butt: 40

My goal is to be around 135 - 140, toned, within healthy BMI, etc.

Thanks so much ahead of time!

1. Since I don't consume ANY dairy, do I need to be taking any kind of supplements to replace the nutrients dairy would normally give me, or is it unnecessary?

2. On a typical day I net around 1200 calories, give or take. I eat a luna bar for breakfast, a turkey sandwich with avocado for lunch (around 400 calories), fruit for a snack (peaches or grapefruit), and generally a chicken sandwich (3 grams of fat, 290 calories) and more fruit--- the rest of my day I fill with protein (rolled turkey breast), veggies (usually carrots), or snacks (sugar free). I pretty much eat the same food every day. Sometimes I will eat weight-control oatmeal with almond milk and bananas to up my caloric intake (and for a yummy snack).

I work out four times a week; a total of four hours. 2 hour of cardio and 2 hours of strength training. I burn, on average, 500 - 600 calories a class (HRM).

I've tried tracking my macros, but it's so complicated for me. I work about 10 hrs a day and try to work out a lot, so I don't have time to prepare. I can't wrap my brain around 300 cals of protein or whathaveyou. I'm not clever enough, I suppose, but I just can't figure it out.

Is this an unhealthy diet?

THANK YOU. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyoooou.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi there, fist of all thanks so much for doing this it is very generous of you. i would really appreciate it if you could take the time to help me out with my question.

Im 27 years old, female, 163cm and 54kgs i have spent the last few years trying different diets and and got down to 50kg which is my goal weight but gained it all back of course, i have worked out at the gym off and on for the past year but only recently started doing weights because im much more focused on being healthy and looking toned rather than just slim, im really looking to lose a dress size not so bothered about the kilos :) I want to get rid of the muffin top/jiggly arms! but ive been eating at between 1200-1400cals per day for past 3 weeks and lost nothin actually put on like a kilo, is this my metabolism fixing its self after so long eating low cal, or poswsible muscle growth from starting weights? just a bit unsure. any advice you have would be so helpfull. thanks so much in advance. oh just to add my workouts consist of at least an hour of cardio and weights 5 days a week (for the past 3 weeks)

Give the weightlifting some time to kick in. It takes time to build up your strength and muscle. Weight loss isn't linear, so continue to trend your weight and make slight adjustments in 4-6 week blocks. If you've plateaued and you are certain after that time, make a small adjustment.
  • FoodandFitness
    Options
    Hi Tony,

Is it possible to lose weight when you hate, hate, HATE most vegetables?

I cannot stomach anything raw whatsoever. I can eat a cooked carrot if it is in a broth-y soup, and I like grilled red peppers, but that''s it. Salads - actually, anything green - nauseate me.

I have tried to like them, truly I have. I have put all kinds of herbs and flavorings on them, but I just can't choke them down without doing dry heaves.

Do I stand a snowball's chance in hades of losing weight without them? (I am 53 years old, 5"3" tall, weighing 225 and just started this website after trying every diet known to mankind)

Thank you kindly for your response!

PS....I also wanted to ask if there are any exercises I can do with two realllllllly bad knees (ACL and meniscus tears in both). Thank you!

1. You lose weight by creating a caloric deficit, not by eating vegetables.
    2. Eating vegetables and fruits is important for the nutrients and fiber. Stick to the ones you do like. Also remember that spaghetti sauce is a good vehicle for serving vegetables. Be creative if you want to eat more veggies.
    3. I can't prescribe you exercises based off your injuries. A physical therapist would be the right person to talk to about that.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    3. I can't prescribe you exercises based off your injuries. A physical therapist would be the right person to talk to about that.

I have a set of hand weights at home. I guess I was wondering if you could recommend any sitting-down exercises, perhaps using these weights?

Thank you.
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thanks heaps for that, just checking my calories are fine? is it ever possible that people need to go below 1200 to lose? i dont want to have to do that but just want to make sure. thanks :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Thanks for giving us your time :)
    I used to have a really fast metabolism but since being on a certain acne pill for 8 years it has slowed down considerably. I am now off this tablet but seems my metabolism is still just as slow.
    Is there a way to fasten it again?
    I already zigzag calories, do HIIT, and lift heavy.
  • jesswilks
    Options
    hi thanks for doing this. I have been trying to plan my meals ahead of time with no luck. Could you give me some tips on meal planning

Yes, I think meal planning is one of the best things you can do when getting started.

1. Start smaller. Maybe you could just plan your breakfasts and start nailing those down before you add in lunch and dinner. Build up to your bigger goal.

2. Have a flexible plan. I always like to have a plan A and a plan B. Plan B is usually something super convenient but still does the job.

3. Be realistic. Only pick foods you know you will make and eat.

4. Prep ahead. Get your chicken prepped and marinated, slice your veggies, etc. or whatever you need to do for the next day. Pack a lunch!

thank you
  • wiseone24
    wiseone24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony,

I am female, age 36, 5'0 and weigh 127 lbs. Back in 2009, I lost over 30 lbs and dropped from 138 to 106. Granted at 106, I was a bit too skinny but I was really fit and also worked briefly as a personal trainer (but it wasn't the career for me). I have gained back over 20 lbs from what I lost and no matter what I do I can't seem to lose, I just keep gaining. My goal is now to be 112-115 lbs which I believe is healthy range for my height/frame. I work out 5-6 days a week (weight training and cardio both in the gym and with at home DVDs) and track my calories and ratios. I am only eating 1200 calories per day which is the lowest I can go even if all the calculations for my height may say to eat under that.

Is there something else that could be causing me to consistently gain? I have lost before and now in a total rut!

Thanks!!

J
  • RikkiDominey
    RikkiDominey Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello Tony,

I currently weigh 165-170 (varies daily), 5'5'', 22 years old. Last year around this time I was at my goal weight of 145 and loved it of course.(I hurt my knee & hip during a soccer game and was unable to keep up with work outs which contributed to gain the weight) I now am trying to do it the healthy way though (No diet pills- Phentermine) and I just can't seem to get the weight off! I do Kickboxing for an hour mon & weds followed by 40 mins of yoga and I do a weight lifting class for an hour tues & thurs followed by 30 mins of cardio (usually bike or elliptical), Saturdays I do a 2 mile jog & attempt a few pull ups (pull ups are my enemy) I am currently enlisting into the USMC and have to drop 15 lbs in the next month and a half for my pre-leave Physical Test and then an additional 10-15 lbs to leave for Boot camp in a few months. I really want to do this the healthy way but I have to make the deadline.

Any suggestions on work outs, foods, supplements (natural), or anything at all please!

Thank you in advance

Oh also I drink around 4-5 bottles of water a day (28 ounce bottle) is this too much? I've heard that it can actually stretch out your stomach and cause you to eat more, true or false?
  • jlreser
    jlreser Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh thank goodness! I can't afford to go to a dietitian so I'm glad you're here.

I started in March 2012 at 206 lbs and am now hovering at 178-180 for about the past 5 wks. I'm not eating over 1500 calories a day, but cannot seem to get out of this plateau....PLEASE HELP!!!

What can I do to get going on the losing train again? I have about 40 more lbs to go but I'm stuck!

Meant to tell you I'm 33 yrs old, 5'2", with a BMI of 32.9, not sure of body fat %.

You need to decrease your calories f you've been plateauing. Make sure you are logging the correct portion sizes. I would recommend exercising if you're not already doing so.

Well, I wrote that I'm not eating over 1500 calories, but most days I"m right at 1200 (after plateauing the first time back in Aug, I starting zig-zagging my calories based on suggestions. I'm scared about going under the 1200 as I don't want to go into starvation mode, but in my head I'm like, really people? I'm 5'2" and weigh 178-180....I'm NOT GOING TO STARVE! So, should I try to eat only 1000 calories for a while?

As for exercising, I have an issue. I have two herniated discs in my lower back (L2 & L4) and while I don't want to use that as a "crutch" to not exercise, it is painful and when it's not, doing exercise aggravates it. I also have horrible knees which I ice when done, but have been instructed my my doc NOT to run.jog. I don't have access to a pool, and know that would be a good option though. Since pool exercising is not an option, and my back often keeps me down, what other exercises could I do? I KNOW I MUST start exercising at some point, but don't want to regress in the back healing.

Thanks so much for your time!!!
  • kathendo1984
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Tony, thanks for doing this! I've been looking for a trainer or nutritionist to answer this question. I want to build muscle and tone up, not necessarily lose weight, but losing fat would be great. Do I want to create a calorie plan to make me gain weight, maintain, or lose weight? At first I was thinking I wanted to lose about 5 lbs, but I really want to see defined muscles, so maybe this isn't the right route? I've always been really skinny but with zero muscle tone. Thanks for your advice!
    My Stats-
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 134lbs
    BMI= 20
    Body Fat= 22%

PS- If you check out my diary you can see that I often struggle to get enough calories, and I eat as much as I can. I'm not really sure how if MFP is right on how many calories I should be getting.... Any suggestions?
  • vickie072012
    Options
    Thanks for doing this......
  • megnak
    megnak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You said alcohol will help as a diuretic. Why do I gain a couple pounds of water weight when I drink?
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

I started in March 2012 at 206 lbs and am now hovering at 178-180 for about the past 5 wks. I'm not eating over 1500 calories a day, but cannot seem to get out of this plateau....PLEASE HELP!!!

What can I do to get going on the losing train again? I have about 40 more lbs to go but I'm stuck!

Meant to tell you I'm 33 yrs old, 5'2", with a BMI of 32.9, not sure of body fat %.

You need to decrease your calories f you've been plateauing. Make sure you are logging the correct portion sizes. I would recommend exercising if you're not already doing so.

Well, I wrote that I'm not eating over 1500 calories, but most days I"m right at 1200 (after plateauing the first time back in Aug, I starting zig-zagging my calories based on suggestions. I'm scared about going under the 1200 as I don't want to go into starvation mode, but in my head I'm like, really people? I'm 5'2" and weigh 178-180....I'm NOT GOING TO STARVE! So, should I try to eat only 1000 calories for a while?

As for exercising, I have an issue. I have two herniated discs in my lower back (L2 & L4) and while I don't want to use that as a "crutch" to not exercise, it is painful and when it's not, doing exercise aggravates it. I also have horrible knees which I ice when done, but have been instructed my my doc NOT to run.jog. I don't have access to a pool, and know that would be a good option though. Since pool exercising is not an option, and my back often keeps me down, what other exercises could I do? I KNOW I MUST start exercising at some point, but don't want to regress in the back healing.

Thank you for your question. I'd like to take a moment to help put the whole "calorie counting" and "starvation mode" thing into perspective.

First of all, anyone who is maintaining a calorie deficit will lose weight (assuming no major medical issues). If you are still overweight and have been at a plateau for over 5 weeks, you are not maintaining a deficit.

A few things to consider:
    1. The calories in MFP are not 100% accurate. They are estimations. You have some variance there.
    2. Your entries in MFP are not 100% accurate. Even if you weigh and measure most things, there is some degree of miscalculation when you enter foods. You have some variance there.
    3. The energy balance equation is still valid, but the equation itself is not static. For example, when some people cut calories, they become extra sedentary. Thus losing some of the non-exercise induced thermogenesis from the equation. It sounds like you have a very sedentary lifestyle based on what you've told me. You have some variance there.
    4. Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes you have to wait a while for adjustments to kick in. After about 4-6 weeks, if nothing has changed, and you don't see that you are swollen and bloated (holding water weight) then you need to make an adjustment.
    5. You also have to look at other clues. Are you never hungry? Never noticed a drop in your energy levels? Still making good progress in the gym? etc. etc. are all clues that maybe you're not eating as little calories as you think you are.

Here's the take home message: MFP, calorie counting, the BMR equations, etc. are all very useful tools. They are not absolutes. I have had MANY clients that "think" they are eating 1200 calories when in fact they are consuming quite a bit more.

This is the case with 99% of the people on here that have been on "x amount of calories forever but still can't lose weight" They are likely mis-estimating. You are probably in this same boat.

If you are absolutely 100% certain of your calorie intake. Eating the same things. Measuring all your food down to the gram. Only eating simple foods. Have the exact same exercise routine, same intensity in your workouts, and same active lifestyle. ---- if you are in a large calorie deficit and still not losing weight, you need to go see your doctor.

So yes, it's true. I wouldn't recommend anyone eat a super low amount of calories for an extended period of time without medical supervision. However, most of the time what you "think" and what is actually true are 2 different things.

So you have 2 options:

1. cut calories because when you're eating 1200 you're actually eating 1400.
    2. weigh, measure, and get OCD about everything to make sure 1200 calories is 1200 calories while at the same time- being OCD about your exercise and calorie expenditure

I usually find that #1 is easier for most people to do.
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    Hey Tony,

This isn't quite a nutrition question, but perhaps you have some insight. I'm curious about your opinion and experience with body fat analysis. For the past couple of months, I've been using the body fat calculator on mbf, which is nearly the same as the one I find on the navy website calculator. The other day, however, I had my body fat measured by impedance (standing on the metal plates, not hand held). The calculator usually gives me about 27.5% body fat for my current measurements. The impedance analyzer gave me a 17.5%.

What do you think is more reliable. Other than the usual factors that can influence the impedance measurement, I find that I have less fat stored below my waist than above, and from what I've seen, impedance analyzers give consistently lower ratings. Would you recommend any particular method or combination to use? I am getting close to my goal weight, but still don't have the body I was hoping for, so I'm thinking I need to emphasize fitness and body fat reduction rather than focus on weight.
  • jlreser
    jlreser Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Thank you for your question. I'd like to take a moment to help put the whole "calorie counting" and "starvation mode" thing into perspective.

First of all, anyone who is maintaining a calorie deficit will lose weight (assuming no major medical issues). If you are still overweight and have been at a plateau for over 5 weeks, you are not maintaining a deficit.

1. The calories in MFP are not 100% accurate. They are estimations. You have some variance there.
    2. Your entries in MFP are not 100% accurate. Even if you weigh and measure most things, there is some degree of miscalculation when you enter foods. You have some variance there.
    3. The energy balance equation is still valid, but the equation itself is not static. For example, when some people cut calories, they become extra sedentary. Thus losing some of the non-exercise induced thermogenesis from the equation. It sounds like you have a very sedentary lifestyle based on what you've told me. You have some variance there.
    4. Weight loss is not linear. Sometimes you have to wait a while for adjustments to kick in. After about 4-6 weeks, if nothing has changed, and you don't see that you are swollen and bloated (holding water weight) then you need to make an adjustment.
    5. You also have to look at other clues. Are you never hungry? Never noticed a drop in your energy levels? Still making good progress in the gym? etc. etc. are all clues that maybe you're not eating as little calories as you think you are.

Here's the take home message: MFP, calorie counting, the BMR equations, etc. are all very useful tools. They are not absolutes. I have had MANY clients that "think" they are eating 1200 calories when in fact they are consuming quite a bit more.

This is the case with 99% of the people on here that have been on "x amount of calories forever but still can't lose weight" They are likely mis-estimating. You are probably in this same boat.

If you are absolutely 100% certain of your calorie intake. Eating the same things. Measuring all your food down to the gram. Only eating simple foods. Have the exact same exercise routine, same intensity in your workouts, and same active lifestyle. ---- if you are in a large calorie deficit and still not losing weight, you need to go see your doctor.

So yes, it's true. I wouldn't recommend anyone eat a super low amount of calories for an extended period of time without medical supervision. However, most of the time what you "think" and what is actually true are 2 different things.

So you have 2 options:

2. weigh, measure, and get OCD about everything to make sure 1200 calories is 1200 calories while at the same time- being OCD about your exercise and calorie expenditure

Thanks so much! Very informative! You are right, I do have a sedentary life. I did think I was doing really good on counting and measuring everything, but I do typically go off of what has already been entered on here (double checking the calorie content) but have not watched much of any of the other numbers. I even tend to over estimate my portions when I'm not sure to help in making sure I'm under what I should be. I've had to increase my fiber b/c of constipation issues would that be making me retain calories? I'm taking dissolvable Benefiber as since eating differently I'm really having issues (two weeks ago I went 6 days without movement and doc said I needed to start this). Could this be effecting any weight loss?

I will try harder for the next few weeks to REALLY scrutinize my numbers and food. I've also started ellipitical 3 times a week for 30 min. (as of this past Mon) so maybe that will help too.

I'll try to reach out after 4 wks of this. Thanks again for your insight!
  • FoodandFitness
    Options

So you have 2 options:

Thanks so much! Very informative! You are right, I do have a sedentary life. I did think I was doing really good on counting and measuring everything, but I do typically go off of what has already been entered on here (double checking the calorie content) but have not watched much of any of the other numbers. I even tend to over estimate my portions when I'm not sure to help in making sure I'm under what I should be. I've had to increase my fiber b/c of constipation issues would that be making me retain calories? I'm taking dissolvable Benefiber as since eating differently I'm really having issues (two weeks ago I went 6 days without movement and doc said I needed to start this). Could this be effecting any weight loss?

I will try harder for the next few weeks to REALLY scrutinize my numbers and food. I've also started ellipitical 3 times a week for 30 min. (as of this past Mon) so maybe that will help too.

I'll try to reach out after 4 wks of this. Thanks again for your insight!

Yes, constipation can mask weight loss. Try to weigh yourself the next morning after your fiber "kicks in" and you have a larger bowel movement. It may just indicate that you are indeed losing weight.
    You are doing an awesome job. Everyone hits plateaus. Don't get discouraged. You can definitely continue your progress. Your results so far are great and inspirational to everyone. Thank you for your question! Keep up the good work!

-T