Loose v Lose

Options

Replies

• 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

Great, then go with that! You are a bully. The world is full of them!

Well, now you lost me on that one. See we were all agreeing and everything.

Correction =/= bullying.

An editor is not a bully. A teacher is not a bully. One who has a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. One who expresses their frustration with misuse of words is not a bully.

No an editor is not a bully. No a teacher if not a bully. A person with a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. Where it crosses the line is when that person, for no good reason, corrects someone. Of course an editor needs to correct. Of course an English teacher needs to correct her students. But this is not a newspaper or a classroom. What is the reason to make this correction? Just because it makes you nuts? So what. All it does is make people not want to post because when they do they get corrected. If you know they mean lose and not loose then why do you feel the need to have to correct them. And by the way, I've worked in the legal field for over 30 years and have to correct the bad grammar of attorneys every single day. Are they stupid? I think not.

I see people posting threads voicing their frustration with this (daily actually) as a general statement, but I rarely see someone correct someone's post specifically so as to embarrass them. Admittedly, I don't read every thread on here, so I may have missed it, but I read a good deal of them. Is it passive aggressive to post a topic about it? Yes. Is it bullying to post a topic about it completely apart from where the mistakes are made? No.

ETA: I do see it when people brag on their grammar and then make grammar mistakes...

Perhaps we view bullying differently, Someone today posted a topic with loose instead of lose as their subject. Then the OP started this forum topic on Loose ve Lose. It was more than obvious to me anyway his forum topic was in direct response to the other. So while it may not have been posted directly on the improper post, in my mind anyway it related. And again I reiterate what is the purpose? If not bullying it is in the very least mean spirited. It serves no purpose whatsoever. Other than to make the person with the gifted English ability somehow feel superior. That is really the only purpose it serves.
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    My mom once told me that loose women lose weight the old fashioned way.

lmao!! I going to be a really loose woman with my husband tonight!
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Actually, I could care less! (Another misused assortment of words):smile:

This phrase has driven me crazy for years! If you "could care less" then that infers that you do care about the topic!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I think a few people on this thread need to get out a bit more. Seriously? 5 pages about loose v's lose? My god....
  • Schust5
    Options
    Your mom has a great sense of humor!!
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    One thing that makes me look twice. (it is a curiosity rather than an annoyance) is the American phrase "I could care less".

It isn't a spelling or grammar problem per se, but it just doesn't make sense. Surely it should be "I couldn't care less"? Suggesting you COULD care less means that you at least care a little?

Is it the standard way of saying thing in America or is it just a local phrase or common slang?

The phrase IS "I couldn't care less". It is just all too often spoken incorrectly.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Oh look This Thread again........ :grumble: :grumble:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

Correction =/= bullying.

An editor is not a bully. A teacher is not a bully. One who has a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. One who expresses their frustration with misuse of words is not a bully.

No an editor is not a bully. No a teacher if not a bully. A person with a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. Where it crosses the line is when that person, for no good reason, corrects someone. Of course an editor needs to correct. Of course an English teacher needs to correct her students. But this is not a newspaper or a classroom. What is the reason to make this correction? Just because it makes you nuts? So what. All it does is make people not want to post because when they do they get corrected. If you know they mean lose and not loose then why do you feel the need to have to correct them. And by the way, I've worked in the legal field for over 30 years and have to correct the bad grammar of attorneys every single day. Are they stupid? I think not.

I see people posting threads voicing their frustration with this (daily actually) as a general statement, but I rarely see someone correct someone's post specifically so as to embarrass them. Admittedly, I don't read every thread on here, so I may have missed it, but I read a good deal of them. Is it passive aggressive to post a topic about it? Yes. Is it bullying to post a topic about it completely apart from where the mistakes are made? No.

ETA: I do see it when people brag on their grammar and then make grammar mistakes...

Perhaps we view bullying differently, Someone today posted a topic with loose instead of lose as their subject. Then the OP started this forum topic on Loose ve Lose. It was more than obvious to me anyway his forum topic was in direct response to the other. So while it may not have been posted directly on the improper post, in my mind anyway it related. And again I reiterate what is the purpose? If not bullying it is in the very least mean spirited. It serves no purpose whatsoever. Other than to make the person with the gifted English ability somehow feel superior. That is really the only purpose it serves.

So now we have the "appropriate forum topic police" busting the "grammar police".

All is well in the MFP forums.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My clothes are LOOSE because I figured out how to LOSE weight! :smokin:
  • BeckySue1977
    Options

Correction =/= bullying.

There are some of us who have worked hard to learn proper grammar. It is not "gifted English ability" it is more like taking pride in appearances and abilities.
    I kind of relate this to taking pride in a job. When I do a job, I do it right (as best I can anyway) and it annoys me that I am putting the effort in to do the job correctly while other people are doing a half-@ss job and getting the same pay, benefits, etc.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I see this ALLL the time on here haha I'm glad someone else said something.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    loose.jpg
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My clothes are LOOSE because I figured out how to LOSE weight! :smokin:

Was gonna write exactly this! lol
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

seriously.....

If I had a dime for every time some dip**** posted this particular complaint, I'd be on Easy Street.

Bigger fish to fry than how someone spells.... Get over it.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    hear we go again ;)

lol, are you just stoking the fire? hilarious.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think a few people on this thread need to get out a bit more. Seriously? 5 pages about loose v's lose? My god....

It's like a game within the game. This thread shows up on the MFP forums (as it does every few weeks or so), then we see how many pages we can get before a mod locks and nukes it.

Or am I the only one that thinks like this?
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Interesting leap in logic you have there.

Kindly show me where I have been (or am being) a bully. I hope the evidence is sufficient to warrant your seemingly hypocritical act of labeling me a "bully".

If you like to correct people when it serves no purpose than I would label you a bully. That is my opinion it does not have to be yours or anyone elses. And if you want to label me a hypocrite because I defend those who may not have your attention to detail and nitpicking, so be it. I really don't care.
  • BeckySue1977
    Options
    I think my favorite aspect of threads like this is that the behavior of those attacking the nitpickers almost always seems more inappropriate than the alleged work of the nitpickers themselves.

Or perhaps that is just another of my "gifts"; to realize hypocrisy where others do not.

Thank you!!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    badgrammar.jpg
  • okiesarah
    Options
    your gonna have to face it its a loosing battle. their are always gonna be people who gonna use they're words wrong. i think we all mispell stuff to

II bet that drove you crazy. It killed me just to type it.
This discussion has been closed.