Loose v Lose

Options

Replies

• fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    I take it as nothing better to do than to show others your superiority. Looser!
  • fitsin10
    fitsin10 Posts: 141
    Options
    Bet you were a bully in school too, am I right? BULLY!
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This is a war you will loose

:laugh:
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    All the Grammar Nazis feel free to friend me now! Let's form a united front! Haha...
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I think a few people on this thread need to get out a bit more. Seriously? 5 pages about loose v's lose? My god....

It's like a game within the game. This thread shows up on the MFP forums (as it does every few weeks or so), then we see how many pages we can get before a mod locks and nukes it.

Or am I the only one that thinks like this?

What else are we supposed to do all day at work? I mean...quit making me come back and read these topics, I have work to do.
  • amber82185
    Options
    really who cares as long as you get what the other person is trying to say...... i police the food that goes in my mouth and its much more productive than being a critic of a pointless topic...IJS
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

Great, then go with that! You are a bully. The world is full of them!

Interesting leap in logic you have there.

Kindly show me where I have been (or am being) a bully. I hope the evidence is sufficient to warrant your seemingly hypocritical act of labeling me a "bully".

If you like to correct people when it serves no purpose than I would label you a bully. That is my opinion it does not have to be yours or anyone elses. And if you want to label me a hypocrite because I defend those who may not have your attention to detail and nitpicking, so be it. I really don't care.

then
    else's
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is the grammar police. The words "loose" and "lose" are not the same. The word LOOSE means "not tightly fixed in place." It is an adjective. The word LOSE means "ceased to have or retain." It is a verb.

If you are talking about how you have decreased your reading on the scale, use the word LOSE (or lost.)

If you are talking about how your clothes fit, use LOOSE.

Thank you for your attention.

Sorry! I sometimes get in a hurry, but know the difference. I hope the readers do too. Sorry it offends. It is the little things like this that really doesn't matter to me.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Eh, it drives me a little up the wall, but some people have legitimate issues that make them unable to spell correctly, so I just assume that everyone who makes that typo has such a problem.

I guarantee there is no "legitimate issue" behind anyone making this mistake. If they can log onto MFP and make posts, then they are clearly at least PARTIALLY literate, and therefore still have no excuse to sound like a dumb*ss and not learn the simple difference between a four and five letter word, and use them accordingly. People are just too lazy to learn, or too ignorant to realize how unbelievably stupid it makes them sound.

I've said it before and I say it again now: THIS WAS TAUGHT TO US ALL IN FOURTH GRADE. If a nine year old can grasp this, so can they!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

Interesting leap in logic you have there.

Kindly show me where I have been (or am being) a bully. I hope the evidence is sufficient to warrant your seemingly hypocritical act of labeling me a "bully".

If you like to correct people when it serves no purpose than I would label you a bully. That is my opinion it does not have to be yours or anyone elses. And if you want to label me a hypocrite because I defend those who may not have your attention to detail and nitpicking, so be it. I really don't care.

then
    else's

:sad: LOL I don't care!
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

Well, now you lost me on that one. See we were all agreeing and everything.

Correction =/= bullying.

An editor is not a bully. A teacher is not a bully. One who has a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. One who expresses their frustration with misuse of words is not a bully.

No an editor is not a bully. No a teacher if not a bully. A person with a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. Where it crosses the line is when that person, for no good reason, corrects someone. Of course an editor needs to correct. Of course an English teacher needs to correct her students. But this is not a newspaper or a classroom. What is the reason to make this correction? Just because it makes you nuts? So what. All it does is make people not want to post because when they do they get corrected. If you know they mean lose and not loose then why do you feel the need to have to correct them. And by the way, I've worked in the legal field for over 30 years and have to correct the bad grammar of attorneys every single day. Are they stupid? I think not.

And yes I know there are grammar mistakes and punctuation mistakes in the above. And I don't care LOL.
    . Hahahahaha I love you <3 you have OWNED this thread I had it done to me the other day and I felt so little and upset by it but it wasn't even a spelling mistake it was just my accent the way I put words together I got shouted at an called a retard! Hmm not bulling at! people on here have far to much time on there hands an busy body In to people's lives DON'T PUT OTHERS DOWN TO MAKE YOURSELVES LOOK BETTER! Nasty creatures in this world
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    OMG, this drives me nuts too. But I refrain.... :)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy too, but I have to admit one time I wasn't paying attention and used the wrong word. :laugh: It happens...
  • Love_flowers
    Options
    If you are happy and you know it clap your hands!! :laugh:
  • chinterman
    chinterman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This thread again?

Until we get it write!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

*CLAP* *CLAP*

(Great, now my lights just went out...)
  • primadonnah
    Options
    Well, you know, some people speak(or should I say study) more than one language so it could get kind of messy in their heads.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think it's funny how these grammar threads spark so much controversy? *grabs popcorn and sits back to read the showdown* :happy:
  • Love_flowers
    Options

*CLAP* *CLAP*

(Great, now my lights just went out...)

Hahahah!! :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.