People with a desk job

Options
I work your typical 9-5 during the day and usually do not leave my desk, not even for lunch. What do you 9-5ers do to exercise at your desk???

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have a standing desk because I am there all day.

I also walk up and down stairs a lot.
  • gdelp
    gdelp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to get used to your standing desk?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk 7:30am to 5:30 or 6pm and I can't leave my desk for lunch either. :( I just kind of deal with the sedentary-ness of the work day and then work out like crazy as soon as I get home. Usually I will go to the bathroom and do some jumping jacks and stretching. A couple of the girls here have balance balls they sit on instead of chairs that they wiggle around on.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You can't exercise at your desk unless you have a job where you don't have to actually do work and you can just stand out in the middle and do sit ups and jumping jacks. I would suggest exercising before 9 or after 5.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    i work out in the morning before work, only because my area isnt very big to move around in & when i do, the phone rings :s
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get up once an hour and go walking around, even for just 5 minutes or to the bathroom. We had a yoga instructor come in and show us some work appropriate yoga and that has helped as well.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't take lunch breaks either and work 9-11 hour days, occasionally longer, but I will go for a 10-20 minute walk most days. I got a couple coworkers to join me too and it's a nice chance for us to take a break and vent!
  • howens1027
    Options
    thanks all for the helpful tips!! :wink:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You don't leave your desk for lunch? Isn't it illegal to make people work without taking a lunch break?
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    No calories burned at my desk but I work out when I get home.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i work a desk job too, but it's in the comfort of my own home. I get up at least once an hour to walk around for 5 minutes. I can ride my stationary bike during my coffee breaks or at lunch time. I would go crazy not being able to leave my desk all day, even at lunch time. I would get very burned out.

Is it a rule that you can't leave at lunchtime or just your own choosing? At my old job, I would take a quick walk for 15 minutes and then spend the last 15 minutes eating a quick lunch, though that job was not sedentary by any means.
  • CaseyP1207
    CaseyP1207 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Push ups, wall squats, chair dips and planking.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't get a lunch break either, I eat at my desk. Legal? Not sure but it is what it is.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I exercise constraint by not telling people to **** off!
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    punch myself in the face
  • jallison12
    Options
    Bathroom breaks? Go to the furthest away bathroom by the most convuluted route possible.
    Going up and down the same stairs is OK as well.
  • Deisel1974
    Deisel1974 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I take two roughly 1 mile walks a day on my breaks. Park as far away as I can in the parking lot.
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    I work a 9 to 5 with a 30 minute lunch and it doesnt give me enough time to eat sometimes. . . i try to work out in the wierdest of ways. . . i either dance around a bit when i get home. . . do chores while working out " cleaning floors ill do squats, etc". . mainly its on the weekends though, dvd workouts that are short work great too.

I tend to get up and walk around the shop jsut to keep teh circulation in my legs healthy (im diabetic). . . sitting for too long for anyone can be bad and lead to things like blood clots, restricted veins and circulation, etc.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is a low impact workout you can do from your chair from Johnathan Roche of No Excuses.

http://www.noexcusesworkouts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/sample-lowimpact1.pdf
  • TattedXMomXStace
    Options
    punch myself in the face

Thats hilarious....