Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• natalienicole502
    natalienicole502 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Totally the opposite... I still feel skinny and in great shape inside but 6 years of being Pregnant with 4 kids.... had me almost double what I used to be when I felt hot and sexy. The mirror is like such a shock and slap in the face!
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still feel that way. I have lost over 30 pounds and went from a size 13 to a size 6/8. My family has commented on how thin I am but I don't see it. I still see myself as the biggest person in the room.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I feel fat. 0_o But it's cause the lumps and bumps from when I was REEEEEEALLY fat. :)
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I lost 105 pounds and I still feel morbidly obese, though I am not. I don't know. It's an indentiy thing.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I was having that kind of feeling when I looked in the mirror this morning. I'm so much more aware of all of my flaws since starting this journey, I feel like it's almost become an obsession. I've lost around 30lbs since joining MFP and 50lbs from my highest ever weight and I still just feel like the fat girl.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    yes, I still suffer from "fat brain" frequently. Some days more than others. I think sometimes it depends on what I am wearing.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do. I've lost almost 25 pounds but it seems like the majority of it has gone from the bottom half of my body and the top half hasn't quite figured out what's going on. I mean, I've lost around my midsection, but I'm still in a large/x-large women's shirt. We had to buy shirts for an event at work and I went with my standard men's medium. It fits better than it did, but a small just wouldn't fit if I tried.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes!!! I went from 170 to 117, but in my head I still think I am fat and always will....can''t change it :ohwell: that why I still think I need to lose weight...because thats all i have been doing for years ... I will never think I am skinny no matter how thin I am
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially when I take my measurements. Because my measurements actually aren't showing any inches lost, which is FRUSTRATING because I've lost 25 pounds already...how can I NOT lose inches when I lose 25 pounds??? But, my body IS obviously changing. That's evident when I wear my yoga pants to go running and they are now slipping off my hips. Also, I have a pair of jeans that are wayyyy too big. But then I try on the next size down and those are too small still...wtf? So yes, I do still feel fat.
  • Caligirl_92
    Caligirl_92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I lost 25 pounds now and am now a "normal" BMI. I fit into my goal jeans, I know where a medium shirt, and my stomach is way flatter. I still have 20 or so to lose to be the "perfect" weight thus where I think I still feel just as heavy as before. Im 177 ( im 5'11) but if I get asked I almost always reply 198 then have to correct it. I feel very weird shopping because I feel like when someone sees a medium they are gonna mentally be like "there is no way she's a medium". Sometimes people will be tell me that they can't believe how skinny ive gotten but its hard to mentally accept it when I still feel like the fat girl :embarassed:
  • jirsan60
    jirsan60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 4.2 lbs away from my goal weight. I have lost 60 lbs so far and I know that I am a lot smaller than I have ever been in my adult life. My mother has told me to stop losing weight as my face is too skinny. I went for my yearly checkup yesterday and my doctor said that I need to stop now. 4.2 lbs would put me at my "magic weight/goal weight" that I have never achieved. I don't feel skinny. I still am mentally "fat". I hope that the feeling goes away with time. I want to enjoy being "slim", I can't even use the term "skinny" as it is foreign to me.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've loss a lil' over 40lbs total (had loss weight prior to joining MFP) and I can't say I feel "ridiculously" fat/overweight, but I feel like I should be alot thinner LOL!!! I think it's a "mind" thing and I've been told alot of times when we look at ourselves daily, it's sometimes "hard" to see what others see. If it wasn't for people telling me they can tell I've loss weight or for my clothes feeling a lot less "tight" (some even too big), I'd think my weight was the same too
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    YES!!!
    I've lost 53 lbs and it doesn't feel like I've lost anything. I didn't "mentally" realize I lost weight until I did a before and after picture. Then my jaw dropped and it put everything in perspective. Our minds can be silly at times. :-)

^^ This exactly! 53 pounds down and didn't realize the difference until a picture with my husband on Sunday night. I was shocked and I keep trying to find that girl again, every time I look in the mirror.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    All the time. In fact, yesterday I folded a pair of my jeans and I thought to myself... "there's no way my body will fit into these." I think the same thought every time I fold my clothes. Everything fits, of course (it's all brand new) but my eyes and mind always play that trick on me.

It doesn't help that I probably have 20 more pounds to lose. I still feel the burden of extra weight, even though I'm 45 pounds down.
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    bump for reading later.
  • brookea87
    brookea87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes. Especially when I take my measurements. Because my measurements actually aren't showing any inches lost, which is FRUSTRATING because I've lost 25 pounds already...how can I NOT lose inches when I lose 25 pounds??? But, my body IS obviously changing. That's evident when I wear my yoga pants to go running and they are now slipping off my hips. Also, I have a pair of jeans that are wayyyy too big. But then I try on the next size down and those are too small still...wtf? So yes, I do still feel fat.

THIS IS SOOO ME!!! FINALLY SOMEONE THAT FEELS THE SAME AS ME!!! i GET SO EXCITED WHEN MY PANTS ARE JUST HANGING ON ME. THEY ARE SO BIG THAT I FEEL LIKE I CAN SO DOWN 2 SIZES BUT JUST NOT THERE YET. I'VE BEEN A 13 AND IF I WERE GO TRY A 9 I WOULD HAVE TO SQUEEEEZE THEM ON
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've been overweight all my adult life, and obese for most of it, and morbidly obese for a lot. Even with a BMI of 25.1, I still alternate between thinking of myself as "fat" with occasional bursts of "normal". Then again, 30 years of history of being "fat" has left me with a distorted self-image that's going to take me some time to get over.

Consciously, I know I'm not huge any more. But it might take years for me to really feel that way about myself.
  • copperoaks
    Options
    yes, iv been overweight my entire life. i did Crossfit this summer and lost 70 pounds in just over 4 months. i can run a mile in under 7 minutes, and am training for a half marathon. I'm in the best shape of my life, but i still feel fat. i know i shouldn't, people tell me all the time i look skinny, but i just still feel fat and ugly.
  • rrumbolt
    rrumbolt Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    your doing great. smaller clothes really helps. put on something rather large, then put something on smaller. that will trick your brain, and you will see how fabulous you look.. i am at 40 lbs loss, and i still have my days. but i trick my brain.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I still do sometimes, esp when I bloat or carry water weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!