Tanning: Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    From a pale white person as well, nay! Also coming from someone that works in a doctors office, your skin will thank you for it in 20 years! Unless in 20 years you want to look like an over tanned wrinkled cow hide.......
  • xAiRfOrCeKillahX
    Options
    in a salon, nay. going outside for the sole reason to tan, yay
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Naaayyyyyyyyy! The suns burnses the skins. Stay inside until dark, then go out and feed on the humans.....
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    yay- just do it once in awhile though
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I am being treated for skin cancer right now and let me tell you it is miserable. I would vote a big

NAY

on tanning. You don't want to deal with what I am dealing with.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Why not look into some sunless tanning creams? Much safer for your skin and will give you a bit of color. I think it will even cost less (I don't know what tanning salons run nowadays).
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    nay! I want to look young not all wrinkled with sun spots. No thanks
  • corrinnebrown
    Options
    Pre-Summer I definitely tan because I know I will go out in the sun and fry. I would not do it a ton. Maybe just 1 -2 days a week. Dont turn into an oompa lumpa :)
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Stay pale.
    I just finished chemo in July for skin cancer on my face, left ear, and both forearms.
    I've always had a good tan ... from sun exposure, not a tanning salon ... now I'm paying for it.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Google "Tanning Melanoma". Tanning beds cause 170,000 cases of cancer per year.

I am also pale, and don't listen to your stupid trainer. If you're pale, tanning will only burn your skin slowly or turn you a gross red color that is not attractive. It will age your skin quickly, and put you at health risk.

If you MUST BE NOT WHITE OMG, use a tanning lotion or get spray tanned. Don't risk your health for something that most likely wont work on your skin anyway.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    YAY YAY YAY YAY,,, all those pastey white people, i want to colour them with marker! GET YOUR BUTTS OFF THE COMPUTER AND GET SOME VITAMIN D!

It has nothing to do with sitting in front of the computer and not going outside. It has a lot to do with the fact that I don't want to die of cancer, thanks.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yum, wrinkles and cancer, but the person looks a little darker--but it's a personal choice. These days they make every kind of fake tan and a lot are better than they used to be, so that is what i would go for, if I wanted to look different but still didn't want health or wrinkle risks. I'm really glad, personally, that I stayed out of the sun all these decades, and I look pretty decent wrinkle-wise without too much effort.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Never set foot in a tanning bed. I like my nice skin too much. Embrace it.

Pale B!tch For Life! :drinker:
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll show you the scars I have from having melanoma because I used tanning beds here in there as a teen and you'll say nay. Posts like this anger me, but that's my problem not yours.

If you really want some color, try a spray tan. VersaSpa is an excellent spray tan, non streaky (as with any self tanner, you need to exfoliate beforehand or you will streak, I promise). If you use lotions like Jergens correctly, you will not streak. I use them and have no problems.

Don't go in a tanning bed, please. You say your fair skinned and that you know the risks, so listen to yourself and don't do it. The scars you get after having melanoma removed is not worth a stupid tan.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Nay!!!! I'm pale as well, but pale + blue eyes + brown hair is hot!

And I always remember the Gym Class Heroes line, "she's got porcelain skin, of course she's a 10!"

And my boyfriend sings it to me too!

With all the things which can slowly kill you, I like to control the factors I can. I put on SPF on my face everyday, and lather up when at the beach or outside.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    NAY! I am pale as well and never go tanning... I can tell you this your skin will thank you and you will look much younger.

This.

I'm nearly 40, and just this past weekend, two women younger than me were gawking that I had no crows' feet or other apparent wrinkles. :happy:

Never mind that tanning lights are *more* harmful to your skin than the actual sun as it relates to skin cancer risk. So not worth it. Embrace your whiteness and call it "fair" instead of "pale" -- it sounds better that way.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Honestly if you are THAT pale, it will probably take a lot of tanning just to maintain a little bit of color. You are not going to get dark and then only have to tan once a week. You will still have to tan a lot to keep the color. I know this because I am naturally white as a ghost myself, and I used to work at a tanning salon and tanned every day. I got dark through tanning every day, but even after missing 2-3 days you could see my color fade. I would say it's not worth the risk. I now get a little bit of natural sun when I'm out running, but if I really want a tan then I just use self tanner and dilute it with regular lotion. It helps just to give a little color without making me orange or streaking.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    YAY YAY YAY YAY,,, all those pastey white people, i want to colour them with marker! GET YOUR BUTTS OFF THE COMPUTER AND GET SOME VITAMIN D!

It has nothing to do with sitting in front of the computer and not going outside. It has a lot to do with the fact that I don't want to die of cancer, thanks.

lol agree...and it matter not if I go outside for hours! I freckle... not tan, I get a small amount of color :)
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options

True story.