Tanning: Yay or Nay?

Replies

• gusnjay
    gusnjay Posts: 26 Member
    I am a native South Pacific Islander. I am blessed with a natural fadeless tan. However, like fatboypup commented, I would'nt mind being poolside or on a beach with a frosty beverage.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    I enjoy being pale and usually stay out of sunlight since it is more harmful to lighter skin tones. Recommend amount in the sun for fair skin is only 15 minutes a DAY. Dunno why so many people feel pressured into being tan, I'd rather not look like an over-tanned leather back when I'm 60. I get "Omg you're so pale" from everyone, including other white people, lol. I just say "thank you." Who cares if you're pale, I was done with that tanning fad when I was 13, so hope you can just learn to love that skin your in. =B
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    I dont always tan but when I do its poolside with a frosty beverage .....

d6ab9f00d99e11e19797123138048e61_7.jpg

Gorgeous ink! sunscreen will help the color stay longer... or is that a myth? that's what i always heard anyway. my only color right now is in my armpit, so not too much sun exposure.

we buy tons of sunscreen I always have it on any visible ink when outside
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Absolutely nay. Go to a salon and get spray tanned. Tanning is not worth the premature aging when you get older, or the possible skin cancer at earlier and earlier ages, that can then move on to other cancers. You will want to be told how young you look for your age when you are in your 40s, not people thinking you are in your 50s already. ;-)
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Hummm....its obviously going to have to be what is best for you in the end.

Personally, I do tan occasionally. Usually twice a month in the winter. I live in "the great white north" and it gets pretty dark and cold so having a few mins (and I mean a few. I usually am only in there for 7 to 9 mins) helps me deal with SAD symptoms. Plus, having a bit of color is nice too.

I tan pretty easy so if you a prone to burning I would start off very slowly. Getting burned is a bad, bad thing. I read a while ago that every time you get a bad sunburn it doubles your chance of skin cancer. Now, I don't know where this info came from or how accurate it is but its something that's always stuck with me. Burning= Bad.

Best advice: Do what is right for you. If you do decide to go pick a salon that has helpful and informed workers. Start out slow. If the person at the salon is bright orange and tells you that you can tan for 20 mins. no problem on your first visit then run away! lol

Good Luck :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    nay!

tanning might make you look good now, but in a few years, you'll look even older than you really are (think leathery, brown, spotted shoe). besides, i think all shades, from ivory to ebony, are beautiful in their natural state. if you really feel like a tan will boost your confidence though, opt for spray tans.

I'm 58. Been tanning every spring for 20 years. No skin conditions, Leathery skin, etc. No skin cancer. My wife is 50. Looks 30. Very smooth skin.

I think if you don't overdue it, don't have family history of it or are otherwise predisposed to cancer, artificial tanning can be better for you than burning in the sun. I'm outdoors all the time. I consider artificial tanning to be preventative medicine.

Everyone is different.
  • I get sickly pale, I just use that Jergens natural glow gradual stuff. I heard that the chemicals in artificial tanners put you at greater risk for skin cancer, so when I'm going to be outside I always wear sunscreen. To me as skin cancer and diseases run in my family it's just not worth it.
    Tanning DOES hide stretch marks and makes me look thinner (especially in pictures) but it wouldn't be worth it at all to spend hours in tanning beds increasing my skin damage. It def. won't be worth it when I'm 50 and covered in wrinkles. The Jergens stuff doesn't streak that badly, I already put on lotion after the shower all the time anyway... so it's not an extra step. The natural glow "light" color also looks good on me - I'm very fair but I have golden undertones, dark hair, and blue eyes. I don't ever think I look "tan" just... I know that I'm not going to be mistaken for a vampire. :)
  • I personally think it's ok once in a while. There's no need to look like the peeps from the Jersey Shore, though. But for a hint of color it should be fine.
  • Cara85K
    Cara85K Posts: 122
    But seriously, thanks for everyone's words. I have skin cancer in my family too, due to the fair skin and everything, but I didn't think tanning once in a while would be so incredibly detrimental!

I"m just going to throw this out there. But when they diagnosed me with Melanoma the doctor told me you can have one bad burn as a kid and get skin cancer. I mean that might be an extreme. But I have a family history of skin cancer and was diagnosed when I was 25 with Melanoma. If you are pale skinned it is not worth it! I promise you!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I guess it depends on what your priorities are. I don't mind having very light skin, it's just the skin I have (all skin tones are beautiful to me). I do love having very soft, youthful, supple, not wrinkled skin and having people always think I am 10 years younger than I am (even if it means they think my kids can't possibly be mine). So, no tanning for me. I've been wearing sunscreen daily and wearing a hat since I was 11. Skin cancer also runs in my family because of the light skin and poor choices to not use sunscreen.
  • I tan on beds when im ging on holiday and know my skin is going to be in a lot of hot sunlight. Other than that i an on a thursday night i swear by benefit tanning lotion and use it with a tanning glove
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    not sure if anyone already said it but bio oil is good for stretch marks and scars and is not too expensive
  • SunshineGRL76
    SunshineGRL76 Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions about carrots & tomatos!! I need to get into the tanning salon before my trip to Hawaii. Was thinking about starting tomorrow :) Don't wanna burn on holiday...
    I don't see the problem in trying tanning in a tanning salon. Just make sure your skin doesn't get sunburnt and ask for advice!

Another advice; eat lots of carrots or tomatoes. I tan a lot more and deeper when I eat a lot of carotenes!

Oh, and always use good skin care products in advance and afterwards. Make sure your skin is very hydrated! I use skin oils. I'm fortunate enough to be naturally dark-skinned. I tan very easily... :)
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    ive been called Casper, chicken legs, glow in the dark, etc... And i really dont mind, I hate the sun (and lots of bad stuff ive heard about the tanning beds), so I will stay that way.
    Why would I look for cancer for free?, not crazy. I like my white skin :smile:
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    I think the best look is natural. I'm pale and I always wanted to look tan, but it's not worth it. They make really good bronzers that make you look even and glowing. I think Bare Minerals make one.
  • No - don't do it. Factor up nice and high when you go out in it. Look at all those really aged, leathery old women out there that have spent too much time in the sun. Then take a look at the nice, pale skinned old women with MUCH better skin.

A stretch marks no big deal.
    A sun bed risks outweight the benefits.
  • I'd try spray on tan...Remember, if you can't tone it, tan it!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    A study just came out today that concluded 170,000 cases of skin cancer per year are caused by tanning beds.

No thank you. I'm a fair, half Italian Jersey girl and skin cancer runs on both sides of my family. I'll take being pale with great skin any day over baking myself.

Also, my son's name is Casper. Kind of neat to see the name mentioned so much in this thread.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    If you have pale skin that doesn't really tan very dark then sun beds probably wont do a lot for you other than damage.
    I'm White fair skinned English/Irish with blue eyes. I have pale skin but can slightly tan/pinken on holiday in the sun.
    Going on a sunbed twice a week for a month sometimes for long intervals did nothing. I once went on for a long time as I was frustrated and just burnt my bum. And I dont think I even sound as pale as you.

You need to find a decent self tanner, as it will cover up your stretch marks better than a natural tan. Pay good money and get a decent spray tan done - fake bake or st tropez, dont go for the cheap £10 salon own one. There are thousands of good looking non streaky fake tans out there, me and my girlfriends use them all the time. I like St Tropez, and this spray fine mist one by loreal in medium. But i would recommend going to get a spray done professionally and opting for a light colour - do NOT go for 'medium' or 'dark' as you WILL be orange!
  • I dont always tan but when I do its poolside with a frosty beverage .....

d6ab9f00d99e11e19797123138048e61_7.jpg

Gorgeous ink! sunscreen will help the color stay longer... or is that a myth? that's what i always heard anyway. my only color right now is in my armpit, so not too much sun exposure.

we buy tons of sunscreen I always have it on any visible ink when outside

I do too!