Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options
jesz124
jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)

Replies

• healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Nope. I mean, you don't have to be perfect and/or ripped, but if you don't have any muscles I don't think I would listen to what you say about developing muscles no matter how much you know "in theory" about it.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are looking for. I was very unfit and needed someone who could motivate me and help with a routine. Would have been intimidated by a super fit person
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much knowledge they had. I still listen to my doctor even if he smokes about the dangers of smoking.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Why not? A coach doesn't have to walk the walk in the slightest. Simply get the best out of you. Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake's coach won't run as fast as they do, but he does a pretty good job. The same applies to coaches the world over.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Football coaches don't really look like they are in shape to play the game, but they know what to do to win. Well, some of them :)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are looking for. I was very unfit and needed someone who could motivate me and help with a routine. Would have been intimidated by a super fit person

Yeah that's a good point, I suppose we are all trying to achieve different things from working out after all.
  • skrakalaka
    skrakalaka Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    No, for the same reason I won't go to hairstylist who had bad hair. I would have a hard time listening to someone who doesn't follow their own advice.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have mixed opinions on this.

1) Physique =/= knowledge. Lyle McDonald doesn't even look like he lifts. Is Lyle knowledgeable? He's ridiculous. One of the best as far as information goes.

2) But at the same time, as far as a business model goes, any trainer who doesn't at least look physically fit, isn't exactly intelligent when it comes to advertising.
  • DaBigChief
    Options
    I need someone who believes what they teach. And if they do, they should treat themselves accordingly. If he/she can't motivate themself to follow the guidance how would you expect to be motivated?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    If he/she was very knowledgeable and could teach me something, then yes. Sometimes trainers are much older, or have injuries and can't train like they used to, but are still very knowledgeable and experienced.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what healthynotthi said. It doesn't require a perfect specimen but there are limits. I would want my personal trainer to be in good shape - like you said, look like they practice what the preach.

Look, I've known all this info about eating right and exercising for years but I would've felt like an *kitten* giving diet advice to someone when I obviously wasn't putting it in to practice myself.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Probably psychological...but I dont think I would use a PT who was unfit regardless of their degrees and books written. I'd want to say..."wow...is that what you do to look like that? I'm in"

My opinion anyway.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Eh, my trainer is coming off a bulk so he's got a gut and doesn't look that in shape due to extra fat.

Does he know what he's talking about and can he totally kick my *kitten*? Yes.

Also, just because a trainer is fit, doesn't mean they know jack! I had a fit trainer who was fresh of the certification block, and wanted to prove that he was a hard *kitten* and knew his stuff.. instead he wound up throwing out my back, and was no help what so ever.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I don't know. My trainer looks like a slightly shorter Michael Clark Duncan.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Football coaches don't really look like they are in shape to play the game, but they know what to do to win. Well, some of them :)

I don't think coaches (football or running) can be compared in this way to PTs.

Most football/running coaches competed at at least the level of competition they are now coaching - So while they might not be in competive shape now, I am sure they were all in excellent shape then.

I personally wouldn't hire a PT that wasn't in great shape. I want to be inspired to achieve thier level of fitness!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    They wouldn't have to be yoked, but I'd hope they have some general level of fitness. And I'd be more forgiving if they were older.

But knowledge and experience is more important than how they look when you get right down to it. Does Floyd Mayweather's boxing trainer look like he could beat me up? No, but he could damn sure train me up.

And keep in mind that many extremely fit people are just genetic superiors. They may know some basics, but they can stay in shape eating anything and barely working out. The gifts bestowed upon them by their parents in the womb in no guarantee that they can help you get in shape.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    "Those who can't, teach"
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    No, for the same reason I won't go to hairstylist who had bad hair. I would have a hard time listening to someone who doesn't follow their own advice.

exactly!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm Ya I would actually. I had one that was over 200 pounds but she started at a little over 300 . Yes she looked big still and not muscular yet but as she trained me and as she taught work out classes in the gym we all saw her transform and some transformed with her
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you aren't judging solely on appearance, you can be fit AND overweight. You see a personal trainer for exercise, a nutritionist about food. What criteria are you judging by and is it fair? Having a six pack doesn't automatically make you a good trainer. A good trainer helps you find your motivation and schedule your workouts, they show you the correct and safe ways for you to exercise to reach your goals and design a program that pushes your limits to make you better.
    Now, I would not trust an overweight dietician/nurtitionist - that's another story,