Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. The best doctors I have ever had were overweight. The best coaches I have known didn't play the game well.

I like the phrase, those who can't do teach.

Those who say they wouldn't probably use the 'judge a book by the cover' tactic, which we all know can fail.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think trainers are a scam in general.

You can find all your training info and needs on the internet.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    No, for the same reason I won't go to hairstylist who had bad hair. I would have a hard time listening to someone who doesn't follow their own advice.

exactly!

Hairstylists probably aren't cutting and coloring their OWN hair...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)

I have noticed that too and I have seen a lot of people spend thousands on PT's and not succeed. I succeeded without a personal trainer --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

All it takes is a calorie deficit and working out to tone up your lean body mass. Weight lifting is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifiting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! I still do cardio, mostly running, but my shape improved once I put weight lifting in first position.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Uncle Rip isn't in his prime anymore, but I'd jump at the chance to train with him.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was all prepared to post an emphatic "NO", but in reading the responses maybe i would... it depends i guess.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)
    I manage the PT department at my gym....I wouldn't hire anyone who didn't take care of themselves or look the "part"
  • eileen1996
    Options
    I absolutely would not. My personal take is, if you cannot help yourself then you will not be able to help me.
  • mrsRhughes
    Options
    I think this is a really individual question (like others have said). Some people who are not in shape at ALL and just getting started in the workout world may be intimidated by someone who is ridiculously in shape with huge muscles, and would want someone who is motivational, can get them going on the right track, but doesn't scare them away. I have also seen a lot of older people in my neighborhood at our community gym who 'hire out' their own personal trainers, and they tend to go with people who aren't CRAZY muscular, either, but you can tell definitely know what they're talking about. I think it depends what you're looking for!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I listen to random faceless people on MFP...so why not.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm Ya I would actually. I had one that was over 200 pounds but she started at a little over 300 . Yes she looked big still and not muscular yet but as she trained me and as she taught work out classes in the gym we all saw her transform and some transformed with her

Thats interesting, and a great example to set as well. Deffo a reminder to not judge by appearances I think ;-)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i'm going to be honest and say no...

i want someone walking the talk. a good combo of knowledge as well as practical use of their own advice!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Would you train with an absolutely jacked trainer who couldn't have achieved their gains without steroids?
  • jesz124
    Options
    I manage the PT department at my gym....I wouldn't hire anyone who didn't take care of themselves or look the "part"

haha you obviously don't work at my gym then lol
  • jesz124
    Options
    Would you train with an absolutely jacked trainer who couldn't have achieved their gains without steroids?

Depends if he was decent eye candy or not. :tongue: :laugh:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    "unfit", maybe, but not overweight. If I were to use a trainer it would be to help me with weight loss, so I wouldn't want an overweight person telling me how to lose weight.
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If he/she was very knowledgeable and could teach me something, then yes. Sometimes trainers are much older, or have injuries and can't train like they used to, but are still very knowledgeable and experienced.

I hadn't thought of this. Too true.

At one point in time I would have said "no", but when I was on vacation I saw a fitness instructor who didn't look super fit. She had to be insanely fit to be able to do the workouts she was instructing and still be able to talk!!! (Yes, I did mean plural. She led multiple classes each day.) It showed me that looks can be deceiving.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    No, for the same reason I won't go to hairstylist who had bad hair. I would have a hard time listening to someone who doesn't follow their own advice.

exactly!

Hairstylists probably aren't cutting and coloring their OWN hair...

If they are any good or have any taste, they certainly wouldn't walk around with a bad style.

BACK ON TOPIC

I think first impressions are everything. If you don't care about your presentation, I have to question your character.....
    Also, I wouldn't want an overweight trainer who couldn't be able to spot me or show me how to do the moves properly AT LEAST
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Yes. But honestly I'd require a friend to tell me how good they are/a free session with them first so I'd know they're good before forking out a bunch of cash!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm Ya I would actually. I had one that was over 200 pounds but she started at a little over 300 . Yes she looked big still and not muscular yet but as she trained me and as she taught work out classes in the gym we all saw her transform and some transformed with her

Thats interesting, and a great example to set as well. Deffo a reminder to not judge by appearances I think ;-)

YEP! now she is a total babe and very fit and absolutely looks the part now :-)