Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Myself personally, when I hired a trainer, she was f'n hot & I wanted my body to look like hers!! Lol I was also in reasonable shape at the time too.

That being said many people are Intimidated of the gym already & a super fit trainer might be too intimidating for some one who is either obese or very unfit... I think there is an argument here for both sides. As long as the trainer knows proper form & technique it really shouldn't matter what their physical stature. Does that necessarily mean they will appeal to everyone, no. But it also doesn't mean that they aren't knowledgable. There should be trainers of different shapes & sizes to appeal to the variety of people seeking a their help!
    Hey, just cause I'm slim, doesn't mean I can't cook!! & just because I'm not ripped doesn't mean I can't motivate!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)

I had a PE teacher (as I am sure most of us did) when I was younger that was a fat, out of shape blob that couldn't run across the aisle to grab his box of Twinkies... :laugh: I remember even as young as I was thinking that was crap that this guy was yelling at me to run and do other physical movements when he would sit there in his chair and just watch all of us kids kill ourselves so he would stop yelling at us. FF to now, I definitely wouldn't listen to a PT that couldn't practice what they preach. I push my self day in and day out to ensure I am in peak condition because I know that I like to help others and would have a much harder time getting people to listen to me if I just let loose and gave up on my personal fitness...
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think trainers are a scam in general.

You can find all your training info and needs on the internet.

The internet can't watch your form and make sure you're doing your things properly, and most of the time you can't do it yourself by checking the mirrors - most times, if I'm looking in the mirror at the gym while lifting it means I've got my head/neck twisted or craned in a potentially harmful position. And the angles aren't great either.

I have never had a PT but that's what I would use them for - what types of exercises should I do to get X results, and is my form correct?

Whether they're in really good shape or not doesn't really have any impact on their ability to do these things.

Do sports coaches have to be ex-players, able to outperform all their players in order to be effective coaches? Of course not.

If anything, a really ripped PT probably has no idea what it's like to be me since they're probably genetically gifted and have never had to deal with the kinds of weight and athletic struggles that I have. I'd rather have a PT that knows where I'm coming from and has experienced what I am going through.

Agree 100%, not saying can't be done without, but from recent experience worth their weight in "black gold" ( I am an oil/gas producer)
  • workhardplayhard
    workhardplayhard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No - I would don't trust a skinny cook either!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That's just bad advertising for yourself.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't care what my trainer looks like as long as I get the results I want from them :laugh:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    NO! PT better be fit to the core....he/she is selling their abilities and if they don't practice what they preach I'm not interested...I also won't get my hair done by someone who has crappy looking hair.
  • Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Simply put.....Nope, NO WAY!
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I don't care what my trainer looks like as long as I get the results I want from them :laugh:

this! If I could afford one!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    In fairness, i can agree that someone watching your form is very helpful, but recording your form and comparing to youtube examples can give the same result.

If some people want to hire trainers, by all means, do what you wish to do to achieve your goals.

Most trainers i see at my golds have women doing ridiculous exercises, and they are just as described in the OP.

Like i said though, I am sure there are GOOD trainers out there, who may be able to maximize your performance.

Personally i think it isn't worth the hassle.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    No. Once signed up for a belly dancing class, thought the instructor looked very much out of shape, never went to a second class.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in otfiher peoples ;-)

Ask yourself this.. If my house was burning down and an unfit looking fireman came to rescue me would I look at him and say, "No thanks i'll just stay here and burn to death." Stop sterotyping that's is part of the problem of this world. just saying.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    I listen to random faceless people on MFP...so why not.

:laugh: So true.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would be skeptical but would give them the benefit of the doubt and try working with them.
    Just like a hairstylist- I wouldn't want one with bad hair giving me advice about mine or worse putting scissors to it.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Even though it really seems "not right", They could be a person who has come a very long way themselves and still working on it. As long as a person knows what he or she is doing, and can get my fat az doing something, I dont care. My last PT was old and a little pudgy, but he was a badd mamma jamma, and is still going strong.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    NO! PT better be fit to the core....he/she is selling their abilities and if they don't practice what they preach I'm not interested...I also won't get my hair done by someone who has crappy looking hair.

I would not want to get my hair done by the stylist who did the crappy hair.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    In fairness, i can agree that someone watching your form is very helpful, but recording your form and comparing to youtube examples can give the same result.

If some people want to hire trainers, by all means, do what you wish to do to achieve your goals.

Most trainers i see at my golds have women doing ridiculous exercises, and they are just as described in the OP.

Like i said though, I am sure there are GOOD trainers out there, who may be able to maximize your performance.

Personally i think it isn't worth the hassle.

It's not all about form. I used a PT for two years because it helped motivate me and she always came up with new things to add into the routine that I probably wouldn't have thought of.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No. Once signed up for a belly dancing class, thought the instructor looked very much out of shape, never went to a second class.

My first bellydance teacher had to weigh 275 lbs. She was f'n amazing though . . .