Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options

Replies

• TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    HELL TO THE NO!!!!! I THINK THAT'S A SHAME TO THE PROFESSION. OBVIOUSLY, WHATEVER HE'S TEACHING IS NOT WORKING FOR HIM, SO IT WONT WORK FOR YOU EITHER.

I SEEN A ZUMBA INSTRUCTOR AND REFUSED TO BE PART OF IT. HE WAS OUT OF SHAPE AND HE HARDLY DID ANY MOVES DURING THE COURSE OF THE SESSION. PISSES ME OFF.

NUFF SAID.
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    [/quote]

Hairstylists probably aren't cutting and coloring their OWN hair...
    [/quote]

LOL, this is what I always think...I should find out who's doing "her" hair. I tend to look at the clients coming out of the salon. I'd do the same with the trainer - look at their clients and talk to them.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOPE! I would seek out a trainer that was in great shape, not necessarily buff, I prefer long and lean to buff personally. I also wouldn't pick one that doesn't look interested while training you, I have seen those ones before and I'd be pissed to spend money and have my trainer lack enthusiasm!

My husband and I talk about this often, which trainers at our gym would we use if we chose to pay for personal training, we do pay for group training so we get to use several trainers and the ones that look the part definitely give us a harder more worth while workout!
  • honey123123
    Options
    I don't know who told me this but they said that they would go to the hairstylist that had bad hair because the stylist with good hair probably gets her hair done by the stylist with bad hair lol I think thyis could also be said for trainers lol.
  • mariesa00
    mariesa00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No. I myself am a Personal Trainer and hold myself to a higher standard. I can understand if a trainer just had a baby and they're losing the baby weight. A trainer needs to be a role model for their clients both in knowledge and physical appearance.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    It depends. If they started out weighing 300 pounds, and are now just overweight, then I would see no problem with it.
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I did swim team and ballet through my school years, had some awesome coaches/teachers, many of whom where out of shape. It depends on the knowledge and understanding they bring to the table. Also, you never know. They could have lost 200 lbs and still be working on the rest.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep but that's probably because i'd only use a PT for help with things like my olympic lift form and if i decided to train for powerlifting. i mean for real have you people seen mark rippetoe :laugh: ?

i suppose if i went to a trainer to lose weight or whatever i'd want an in shape one because i'd figure their bodies would be their billboard.
  • makkman
    makkman Posts: 212
    Options
    Interesting topic... if they have the knowledge and the tools to motivate me thats all im looking for. Not to emulate them. Just my opinion.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It depends. If they started out weighing 300 pounds, and are now just overweight, then I would see no problem with it.

Why would you hire a PT who only recently needed to lose that much weight? A PT who can't control their own body isn't one I'm going to trust with mine.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    AGREE WITH #2
    I have mixed opinions on this.

1) Physique =/= knowledge. Lyle McDonald doesn't even look like he lifts. Is Lyle knowledgeable? He's ridiculous. One of the best as far as information goes.

2) But at the same time, as far as a business model goes, any trainer who doesn't at least look physically fit, isn't exactly intelligent when it comes to advertising.
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    nope
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My zumba instructor is a little on the heavier side... and that girl can shake it better than anyone else I know.

I don't care how they look. I would care if they can evoke movitation and push me.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Nope. When you're a trainer your basically selling yourself- your results. When I see a ripped trainer I think "what is he/she doing? I wanna look like that!" My husband recently got certified as a personal trainer, and that was his first goal- to perfect his body to make himself "sellable" -plus in NY trainers have to look like friggen models or greek gods.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    No, I want someone who is in shape/setting a good example for body image
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it...knowledge is the most important. You can have a totally ripped muscle bound idiot that looks like he or she knows what he or she is doing but has great genetics and not a lick of any idea how to actually train someone else. Yes, it helps to be extremely fit but without the knowledge to go along with it, its like giving the driving instructions to a sherman tank to a 3 year old-not gonna go well, lol. Not everyone that has a driver's license can drive on the Nascar racing circuit. Ask for qualifications first: some well respected organizations are : ACSM ( the course that all other courses are based from ), also ACE , and the NSCA. However there are many others.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    yes if they had proper credentials (degree in sports science), but I'd ask if they were in a bulk phase~
  • marcharing
    Options
    Wouldn't use a trainer. I think you need the knowledge yourself and the motivation should come from within. Anything else is theoretically at least, unsustainable.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with a trainer that is bigger than I am. I can't see myself being so judgmental over looks. I save that for personality. I would rather have that than some young brat with the Broscience attitude and very little people experience.

Plus, I know how to think realistically. I know my body type and know what my final results could and should be; not compare myself to others.
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think trainers are a scam in general.

You can find all your training info and needs on the internet.

The internet can't watch your form and make sure you're doing your things properly, and most of the time you can't do it yourself by checking the mirrors - most times, if I'm looking in the mirror at the gym while lifting it means I've got my head/neck twisted or craned in a potentially harmful position. And the angles aren't great either.

I have never had a PT but that's what I would use them for - what types of exercises should I do to get X results, and is my form correct?

Whether they're in really good shape or not doesn't really have any impact on their ability to do these things.

Do sports coaches have to be ex-players, able to outperform all their players in order to be effective coaches? Of course not.

If anything, a really ripped PT probably has no idea what it's like to be me since they're probably genetically gifted and have never had to deal with the kinds of weight and athletic struggles that I have. I'd rather have a PT that knows where I'm coming from and has experienced what I am going through.

Agree 100%, not saying can't be done without, but from recent experience worth their weight in "black gold" ( I am an oil/gas producer)

My PT is younger, shorter and smaller then me, makes less money, and his eyes are not blue like mine, might even have higher BF% .... So I guess I should fire him .... Even Though I am confident in his knowledge and supervision, he motivates & pushes me Way harder then I push myself, I'm getting the results I want, I enjoy training with him, .... Nope I think maybe i'll stick with him a while yet! I had a previous PT who was bigger/stronger et al. but who wanted talk more about his own accomplishments/experiences etc... In THIS case ... Size Doesn't Matter ... Fat, thin, short, tall, I don't care as long as "I" am successful!