Strange or fine for one guy to be in a fitness class with

Options
12346»

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I admit I was recently late for a spin class and walked out when I notice I was the only guy.

However if the ladies are hott I would happy to be the only guy!!!

BTW I am the only guy in my TRX training class!!!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're doing it to be with your wife, then good for you.

BUT if you're taking a class that is primarily women, you should probably consider something a bit more challenging depending on what your goals are.

Yes, because women only take classes that are easy. Of COURSE, THAT'S IT! You've singlehandedly explained an entire gender's worth of fitness challenges in one post - if only women take a course, it must be easy!!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I was in a class like that for two or three times until some guys came along. It was at the Y and it was co-ed, so I paid my money and went.
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether or not he tied back his boner before class.
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    why does it matter?
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I've been told I should take Yoga for flexibility but all of the classes at my gym are 100% female. I am getting brave, however, and am hoping to start once a new class opens up.
  • davidep21
    davidep21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter, the class is about fitness not gender!
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I've been told I should take Yoga for flexibility but all of the classes at my gym are 100% female. I am getting brave, however, and am hoping to start once a new class opens up.

Be brave. Its no big deal. There are many men in the yoga class I take. I'd say minimum 30%.
    Oh and the sub yoga instructor is a man too.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman on the weights yesterday, i was like , um excuse me ma'am go play on the treadmills and ellipticals, this here is man territory.

Seriously?

He's pointing out the fact that if it were posed the other way, people would be up in arms about it being "sexist".

Of course it's fine - he can be in whatever he chooses no matter the gender distribution.

no i was being serious.

I always think of this:

For the past 20 years, researchers from linguists to psychologists to neurologists have been studying our ability to perceive snarky remarks and gaining new insights into how the mind works. Studies have shown that exposure to sarcasm enhances creative problem solving, for instance. Children understand and use sarcasm by the time they get to kindergarten. An inability to understand sarcasm may be an early warning sign of brain disease.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/The-Science-of-Sarcasm-Yeah-Right.html#ixzz28FT1VGGH

Interesting. :glasses:
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're doing it to be with your wife, then good for you.

BUT if you're taking a class that is primarily women, you should probably consider something a bit more challenging depending on what your goals are.

Yes, because women only take classes that are easy. Of COURSE, THAT'S IT! You've singlehandedly explained an entire gender's worth of fitness challenges in one post - if only women take a course, it must be easy!!!

I am a Jazzercise instructor, and one of my students in her early 20s brought in a totally hot friend of hers because she wanted him to see what it was all about. I kicked his *kitten*. At the most intense part of the cardio section, he and his six pack were hunched over in the back of the room huffing for air. One of my prouder moments... :) Inevitably, there are almost no men in a Jazzercise class for obvious reasons, but when one decides to give it a try he ALWAYS walks out with a whole new respect for it!!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    What difference does it make?
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I can't understand why this would be an issue unless the guy wasn't actually spending the time putting in an honest effort in the class. If he is sort of half-a**ing it and just watching the gals, that I can understand being a problem.

That would be like saying it would be strange for a gal to be the only person lifting. As long as she is working on lifting and not just walking around and watching the guys life, I say great for her just like I would say great for him for working out.

As a guy who has been in the situation or at least the small minority in a class, a guy in this situation has to be pretty sure of/secure in himself and not worried about the gals showing him up. My thought was as long as the class was making me a better version of me(both the people in it and the class), I was going for it.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am a Jazzercise instructor, and one of my students in her early 20s brought in a totally hot friend of hers because she wanted him to see what it was all about. I kicked his *kitten*. At the most intense part of the cardio section, he and his six pack were hunched over in the back of the room huffing for air. One of my prouder moments... :) Inevitably, there are almost no men in a Jazzercise class for obvious reasons, but when one decides to give it a try he ALWAYS walks out with a whole new respect for it!!

I think you sell some guys short. Just cause the class kicked his rear doesn't mean he walked out with a whole new respect for it. He may have chosen to go to the class out of respect, knowing he would get a tough workout from the class.

Some guys try to pick workouts that I know will challenge them. I always have when working out. In college we went to an advanced aerobics class to get a much different and challenging workout, not to mention to improve our coordination. We respected it going in and got exactly what we were looking for in the class.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I think you sell some guys short. Just cause the class kicked his rear doesn't mean he walked out with a whole new respect for it. He may have chosen to go to the class out of respect, knowing he would get a tough workout from the class.

Some guys try to pick workouts that I know will challenge them. I always have when working out. In college we went to an advanced aerobics class to get a much different and challenging workout, not to mention to improve our coordination. We respected it going in and got exactly what we were looking for in the class.

Touche...I hope that was the case, but there was some good-natured ribbing going on before, and afterward he told me he had no idea how tough Jazzercise was. Unfortunately, given that the name conjures up images of thong leotards and legwarmers, not many people give it the respect it deserves until they try a class. :)