Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If he/she was very knowledgeable and could teach me something, then yes. Sometimes trainers are much older, or have injuries and can't train like they used to, but are still very knowledgeable and experienced.

I think if it's a matter of being older or having injuries, it doesn't matter.

However, I think they can give better advice on "pushing through" and keeping it up when they are fit. They can study the technique, but it helps to have a trainer that personally understands the discipline you need to put in.
  • dtreg35
    dtreg35 Posts: 93
    Options
    nope!!...... wouldnt take financial advice from someone that is broke either!!!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that a lot of PT people are former fatties or people still losing it.... they could be on the job training. Don't be so harsh..

A lot of pt's are former fatties? Why are you of that opinion then?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this entire thread, but I think the best thing to see would be before and afters of people that have worked with the trainer if they are available.
  • graywi123
    graywi123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Never! Why emulate someone that looks like me now? I want to improve not stagnate...
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this entire thread, but I think the best thing to see would be before and afters of people that have worked with the trainer if they are available.

Never thought of that. Personally, I am not motivated by someone who doesn't look better than me. But if their clients look better than me, then it says something.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    hmmmmm Ya I would actually. I had one that was over 200 pounds but she started at a little over 300 . Yes she looked big still and not muscular yet but as she trained me and as she taught work out classes in the gym we all saw her transform and some transformed with her
    This.
    You don't know where that trainer started. You also don't know if they're working around any injuries. You don't know their personal goals for themselves -- their job isn't to transform you into THEIR ideal of health, it's to help you reach YOUR ideal. I don't think you can judge their effectiveness by appearance alone.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hire an unfit looking trainer. I don't even like going to classes taught by unfit instructors. I refused to go to a spinning class because the instructor was overweight and no matter how hard she tried to push us, all I kept thinking is she need to push herself. I just think it is important if you are in an industry where you are are giving out advice, you better practice what you preach. I'm not trying to go to a broke banker, a bald beautician, a toothless dentist and the list goes on and on. You don't have to be the best at it, but you shouldn't be the worst either. BTW, coaches are a bad analogy since most coaches played the sport they coach at some point.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)
    I manage the PT department at my gym....I wouldn't hire anyone who didn't take care of themselves or look the "part"

haha you obviously don't work at my gym then lol

And what gym do you attend :)
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Would you train with an absolutely jacked trainer who couldn't have achieved their gains without steroids?

Depends if he was decent eye candy or not. :tongue: :laugh:

Mental Note - Become eye candy :)
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that a lot of PT people are former fatties or people still losing it.... they could be on the job training. Don't be so harsh..

I don't know about the above poster's opinion, but from my personal experience (I worked as a PT for four years in Bally's then NYSC) there were MANY of the fitness professionals who were "former fatties" as you call them. As it turns out, the majority of them were some of the best in their field because they understood the struggle and judgment. I've also seen the "beefcake" trainers put their clients in compromising and injurious positions. That being said, I do agree to a certain degree that you should lead by example in a field such as this one. Because of what I've seen, I'd give the overweight trainer the benefit of the doubt at least once, but admittedly, I'd probably be more skeptical until they proved their knowledge.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

I don't know about the above poster's opinion, but from my personal experience (I worked as a PT for four years in Bally's then NYSC) there were MANY of the fitness professionals who were "former fatties" as you call them. As it turns out, the majority of them were some of the best in their field because they understood the struggle and judgment. I've also seen the "beefcake" trainers put their clients in compromising and injurious positions. That being said, I do agree to a certain degree that you should lead by example in a field such as this one. Because of what I've seen, I'd give the overweight trainer the benefit of the doubt at least once, but admittedly, I'd probably be more skeptical until they proved their knowledge.

No, I didn't call them 'former fatties' actually. I was quoting the poster who used that phrase in their post if you read what I was responding to.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    no. I like seeing it can be done and having that to work toward. I have guidance coaches for my 12-wk strength training program thru the YMCA (free program) but I don't look up to them because they aren't fit. One of them who lost 40 lbs in a year told me that my goal of over 100 lbs will probably take 3-5 years. Um no it won't but thanks. On the other hand, I take classes from several fit instructors who absolutely amaze me with what they can do and I wanna get that fit. Three of them in particular teach so many high level classes a week I just don't know how they do it. One of them has kinda taken me under her wing and she's constantly encouraging me to step things up. I don't see a spot of fat on her whole body. I can't wait till I'm not the fattest girl in all her classes.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    You can't tell someone's fitness level by looking at them. If they are overweight or not- maybe. I am still in the "overweight" category by BMI and have a bit of extra fat on my body but I can run 15km nonstop and lift heavy weights.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)

well from your pic you can be my personal trainer any day :wink:
  • SHADP
    SHADP Posts: 3
    Options
    I HIRED A TRAINER THAT I FELT WAS "UNFIT"..I DID EVERYTHING THEY ASKED, I TRAINED FOR WEIGHT LOSS, DID IT FOR 8 LONG WEEKS 3-4 PER WEEK...MY RESULTS...WELL, I GAINED 1 .8 LBS....SO TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, HELL NO!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Personally I would go for his credentials and experience rather than his appearance. Looks can be deceiving & sometimes its all about genetics. Some gyms hire these people as part of their marketing tactic but in reality not all of them are qualified enough. I have seen trainers who looks like they couldn't walk for 10 minutes actually can run faster than a bullet. In the same way, I've seen some 'fit' trainers who are actually more out of shape than their clients.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I HIRED A TRAINER THAT I FELT WAS "UNFIT"..I DID EVERYTHING THEY ASKED, I TRAINED FOR WEIGHT LOSS, DID IT FOR 8 LONG WEEKS 3-4 PER WEEK...MY RESULTS...WELL, I GAINED 1 .8 LBS....SO TO ANSWER THE QUESTION, HELL NO!
    LOL are you sure the 1.8 pound gain is mainly the trainer's fault? See no matter how effective an exercise program is but if you support it with bad diet then don't expect any results. Many times we underestimate calorie intake while overestimating calories burned so we end up gaining weight.

Also have you taken your measurements? Remember scales lie.

EDIT: Its not good to point a finger at other people for your failures. Remember that whenever you point one finger to others, the other three fingers are pointing at you. That is your body & you have the sole responsibility for it. Trainers are simply there to help you as far as training is concerned.
  • Nomi923
    Nomi923 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.. I had a volleyball coach and a basketball coach that was actually obese but that was because he had a hard work out in college that required him to eat a lot, then he left college stopped working out but he still ate. Even though he was obese he new more about fitness and coaching than anyone I knew, a brilliant coach to say the least.

You've got to try people out, its not about the appearance. People are obese for various reasons and just because they're obese doesn't mean they don't have knowledge. Judge them based on their abilities.