10 questions about your WEDDING...

Options

Replies

• Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    10-12 Months ahead

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    8-9K (cdn) A little less than planned.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    60/50 approximately

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    Donation in their names to a charity and special jelly beans in a little fancy package with a note indicating the donation.

5. What season was your wedding in?
    August - Summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    Saturday 9am - Lunch reception

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    Get the reverend's cell phone number to find out why he was late.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    The venue for lunch/photograper... both worth it.

9. What were your colors?
    green,purple,orange,pink... hard to describe

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    -designed and made our own invitations (worked at a printers)
    -got all the digital photos and made our own albums
    -walked from the church to our venue through town with our wedding party while getting pictures taken.. no limo required, made for some nice shots dancing to buskers playing jazz
    -bought all the flowers and made our own arrangements, bouquets etc.
  • megabux
    megabux Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 18 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? about $6k Pretty much what we planned

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? I sent out 150 invitations (including 1 invite for families), 250 +/- showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Candles with personalized ribbons in hand painted flower pots and matchbooks with chocolates

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 6pm on Friday Night Memorial Day weekend of that year

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have invited less people, made it more intimate

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Photographer, I feel it was worth it at the time, I think you get more for your money from photogs now-a-days

9. What were your colors? Silver and Cobalt

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Handpainted the flower pots to make them more personal
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? I had a year to plan

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Not sure it was taken care of from my Mom and his parents (Really Nice by the way for that)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? About 250 I think and about 200 showed (we had a lot of out of town people)

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Candy in tulle with a ribbon

5. What season was your wedding in? July

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday Wedding ceremony was at 1 and reception around 6

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I loved my wedding but I would have changed my hair (I did not like the dye job and how I had it put up now that I look at the pictures)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Again not sure on the money aspect

9. What were your colors? Pool color (teal)

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Again I had awesome family and friends who helped out!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    1, 6 months

2. $25K, I know that's a lot, but the average cost of a wedding here is $32K.

3. Invited 92, 86 came

4. little paper bags of jelly bellies

5. end of summer

6. Saturday afternoon

7. honestly, wouldn't change a single thing.

8. the food, and yes, worth every cent.

9. didn't really have set colours, 'earthy vintage' was the best way we could come up with to describe it, lol. Cream, espresso, sage, copper and a small touch of light pink.

10. I did crossword/fan favours, the favours I guess were a DIY, pew wreaths and a few decorative odds and ends.
    This wasn't really a DIY but it saved us a ton of money, my sister did our flowers. She's a florist and got them at wholesale cost, I got more flowers than a local florist quoted me $6000 for, for $520.
  • mbojan2
    mbojan2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? We planned for 2 years

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Roughly 10,000.00

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Invited 130 about 100 showed

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? We had an ocean theme so I made white chocolate seashells and put them in a bag with ground up graham crackers to look like sand.

5. What season was your wedding in? Summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? It started at 4 and it was a Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have had a destination wedding

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The food.....Yes it was AMAZING!!!!!!

9. What were your colors? Cobalt blue, Purple, Pink, and Silver

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I did all the flowers and center pieces.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    How long did you plan? 4 DAYS

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? APPROX. $2000...ABOUT RIGHT

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? NONE.....AND NONE SHOWED UP...GOT MARRIED IN VEGAS

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? NOTHING

5. What season was your wedding in? WINTER

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? MONDAY AT 4PM

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE FRIENDS THERE

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? PLAYING THE SLOT MACHINES.....IT WAS ALL GOOD!!!

9. What were your colors? DIDN'T HAVE ANY

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? RENTED MY DRESS....DOES THAT COUNT??
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? about 18 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Don't remember, but it was about what we planned, and we didn't go into debt for it.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? around 50 invited. 47 showed up.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? masks

5. What season was your wedding in? early autumn

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 5pm Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have skipped the corset, LOL!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Great photographer, and it was worth every penny. For all the $$$ you spend on a wedding, the only things you have left after the day is over, are your rings and the photos. I wanted great photos, and we got them.

9. What were your colors? un... no specific colours? (the venue was already decorated, so we didn't have to, and the bridesmaids all wore different colours)

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Made my dress and my husbands outfit. Saved about 90% of the cost on those. I'm an accomplished seamstress - I saw no reason to pay some stranger to do it.

I worked as a typesetting for a printing company at the time, so I also did all our wedding invites and stationary myself. Saved a PILE of $$ on that.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 8 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $6000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 130 - 100

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? wedding color wrapped hershey kisses

5. What season was your wedding in? spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 10am on a saturday morning

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? i would have made time for my toast. a bridesmaid had an issue and had to leave the wedding early (her car window was busted in the day before and she was robbed), so we bumped up our ending balloon release so that she could be a part of it

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? $600 for a jazz quartet - completely worth it

9. What were your colors? two shades of a teal blue color and brown

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? we had a brunch reception. i baked close to 15 dozen mini muffins, i blew up all of the balloons the morning of, i made assembled the favors, not really a diy BUT i ordered fruit and veggie trays from harris teeter for the reception food. not counting the cake, we spent about $300 on all of our reception food. all of my decorations were a hand me down from a coworker's daughter's wedding.

i will add that as much as every girl dreams of the perfect wedding, if i had it to do over, i would just go to the courthouse. $6000 is much cheaper than what most people spend, but i would have much rather spent that on the honeymoon.
  • 1104Jen
    1104Jen Posts: 27
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Maybe a month, if that.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? About $250

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? We were married at the courthouse with 4 witnesses and our reception about 35 were invited and 30 showed up.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? n/a

5. What season was your wedding in? fall

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Wedding was on a Friday at 4pm. Reception the next day at 2pm.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I wouldn't change a thing about the wedding or reception. I'd just change how my hubby felt at the reception (he had a cold starting).

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Renting a place to have the reception and yes.

9. What were your colors? White and purple

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made the invitations, we decorated the reception area ourselves and we had a pitch-in buffet. My MIL got a photographer to donate his time so we'd have great photos.

A wedding should not be a time to show off how much you can spend in my opinion. It should be a time to focus on the most important thing, the new journey you are embarking on.
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 8 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Roughly $10K, which was what we had budgeted.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? We invited about 250, but had about 185 show up.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? My bridal party and I made white chocolate lollipop roses. I had special ribbons made with our names and the date on them, and tied those around the stick to "seal" the clear plastic bags that we put them in.

5. What season was your wedding in? Late summer (August 31)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? It was the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. To us that seemed logical since most of my side was from out of town, and that gave them time to travel without having to miss work. Plus having a ceremony that late in the summer on a Sunday made most things cheaper.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have hired a different florist. She was officially retired, but still did weddings. The pictures she showed me before I hired here were beautiful even though they were a few years old. The problem was that she got there late and was really SLOW to set up, and the flowers really didn't look that good. Our ceremony was over before she had all the centerpieces set up in the tent we had the reception in, so my bridesmaids had to run off right after the ceremony to go help her finish before all the guests started walking in. Then she left a bunch of the rented mirrors and glass candle holders behind when she picked her things up, and I had to go return them to her a week or two after the ceremony.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? I'm not sure that we did splurge on much, but if we did I would say it was the venue or the limo. Our wedding was at a local metro park by a lake, with a big white tent behind the ceremony to hold the reception in. For the limo I hired a service to pick up the guys at our house, the girls at a local hotel we were staying in, and then drive me and my husband back to the hotel at the end of the evening. Normally they would have charged us for 2 rentals since the times were so far apart, but I negotiated for a daily rate with them since we were officially considered in their "off season", and they didn't have any other customers that day.

9. What were your colors? light blue and silver.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes. We did the favors that I mentioned above, the seating cards & table numbers. My husband also was the head chef at a catering company at the time, so he did most of the prep-work on the food (a lot of which had been donated by his vendors as part of our gift), and a couple of his co-worker buddies did the actual cooking the day of with some of his other staff doing the serving and bar tending (also as a wedding gift to us). His boss donated the alcohol. One of the bakeries that he use to refer a lot of business to gave us our cake at cost, and I hired a music student from one of the local colleges to play the music for our ceremony (he got college credit and I saved $$). I'm not sure if all that quite qualifies as DIY, but it's a big part of how I had a wedding that typically would have cost $40K for about $10K.
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 18 months!

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? We tapped out at between 15-20K. It was about what we planned for.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? We invited maybe 115 and got 90-95. No no-shows, but got 4 or more cancellations in the last two or three days before the wedding.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I made origami hearts! 100 of them!

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter!!

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday, 5ish to latelate. We went right from the ceremony down into the reception.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have done live music or a real DJ, not the iPod.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The cake was expensive for a cake (soooooo worth it!!!) but the dress was the biggest hit to the wallet. Actually, the venue/catering, but it was a good price for those for what you could get, I felt. The photography was not cheap either... what is not a splurge about a wedding, again, exactly?

9. What were your colors? Black, white, and gold. Pearls on the girls.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I think we ended up doing a lot of DIY. Best was the thumbprint tree, but I'm a professional artist so it's not that risky on my end to do that. We also DIYed an website with online RSVP and invite, the only option we offered. Do not regret that decision whatsoever. Big money saver and very good for staying organized.
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 364 DAYS

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $5000 - $6000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 200/130

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? PRALINES (SENTIMENTAL TREAT FROM MY CHILDHOOD DAYS)

5. What season was your wedding in? SUMMER

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? SATURDAY - 1PM CEREMONY, 3PM RECEPTION

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? NOTHING REALLY, RECEPTION HALL HAD A/C PROBLEMS AND ALMOST HAD TO MOVE THE VENUE 30 MINUTES BEFORE CEREMONY BUT IT ALL WORKED OUT OK AND WAS NOT IN MY REALM OF CONTROL ANYWAY

1. MY DRESS ($1000) - I LOVED IT BUT NOW IT IS IN A BOX FOR EVER AND SO NOT REALLY WORTH IT I GUESS
    2. THING I WAS MOST HAPPY WITH WAS THAT WE SPENT AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF MONEY ON THE HONEYMOON (AND IT WAS A BLAST!!!)

9. What were your colors? RED (DIDN'T PLAN ON RED, BUT ONLY HAD 1 BRIDESMAID AND THE RED DRESS LOOKED THE BEST ON HER)

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? MOST OF THE RECEPTION. THE FOOD WAS ALL PREPARED BY MY FAMILY, AS WERE THE FAVORS. HIRED A NEIGHBOR TO PHOTOGRAPH (I WAS REALLY HAPPY WITH THEM), NEGOTIATED THE FLOWERS AND COMPROMISED TO SAVE MONEY, DESSERT BAR, KEG, AND CHAMPAGNE PUNCH, DJ WAS MY B.I.L. AND SOME MP3s, WAREHOUSE ORDERED THE INVITATIONS (NO SAVE THE DATE - MAYBE THAT IS WHY OUR TURNOUT WAS KIND OF LOW), CAKE WAS MADE BY A FRIEND FROM CHURCH WHO DID THAT AS HER SIDE BUSINESS (IT WAS THE BEST WEDDING CAKE I HAVE EVER EATEN), RENTED A CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG AS THE GET AWAY CAR (LOVED IT!)

It was a church wedding as was dictated by my faith and used the church hall for the reception. Overall, I was happy with everything, and even more happy to be married 6 years later. I loved that our goal was to spend an equal amount on the honeymoon as we did the wedding. We were able to do that even with my splurge of a dress.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? A year

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Around 3000.00

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 35/30

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Personalized trail mix ( was a camping wedding)

5. What season was your wedding in? Summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday at 4 pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing! Was perfect!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The location...and yes! Worth it!

9. What were your colors? Didn't have colors

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes, my flowers, my favors, my cupcakes, my favors, my daughters shoes, the center pieces....
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    1. 9 months
    2. $3,000
    3. invited 70 ppl only 45 showed up
    4. Tux and wedding dress favors with candy in them
    5. September 3rd, 2011
    6.Saturday at 3pm
    7. I would change , and get more decorations and moved my reception tables around a little more.
    8. I bought two wedding dresses, due to my weight fluctuating. ( tummy disease)
    9. David's Bridal Malibu Blue and Mocha
    10. My theme was kissing in Paris, so I made a black back drop, and huge on the stage of our eating area. Then made all these huge silver stars and pasted to the black. It made a silver starry night .Even though it sounds cheesy, but turned out really beautiful . And my husband made me a 7ft tall Silver Eiffel Tower and set it next to our table. So the whole thing looked like our table was under the stars and Eiffel Tower in the distance.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 3 MONTHS

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? 15 K .. IT WAS ABOUT RIGHT

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 350.. 330 SHOWED UP

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? CANDIES, LADLES ALL DRESSED UP... SWEETS.. LOTS OF THEM!!!

5. What season was your wedding in? SUMMER/END OF AUGUST

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 1 PM AND ON A FRIDAY

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? WISH IT HADN'T RAINED.. WE HAD TO MAKE A DASH FOR IT AT TIMES!.LOL.. I WOULD HAVE LOVED A DIFFERENT HEADPIECE.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? GOT HALL DECORATED PROFESSIONALLY! .. VERY WORTH IT!! IT WAS FANTABULOUS!!! . OH, AND MY RING!!!

9. What were your colors? WHITE, RED AND BLACK.. MY GIRLS WERE IN RED DRESSES.. 12 OF THEM..LOL.. AND MY GUYS WERE IN WHITE WITH BLACK HATS, CANES AND WHITE SUITS..

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? NOPE

edited to give a little more info.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Serious planning, less than a year.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? I wound up paying for my wedding. For location, flowers, cakes, favors, invitations, phhotography, decorations, JP, rings, hair and makeup, food and drink, etc it was about $4,000. Which is what I thought we would spend

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? About 150 invited. About 120 showed.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? We had little heart containers filled with candy - M&Ms that were red and white (our colors) labeled (three designs - our names, the data, and a heart). You can order them from the M&M website. Super cute!!

5. What season was your wedding in? late Spring (late May)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sunday. Ceremony at 12:30 pm. Receoption 1:30-5:30 (Much cheaper for the location on a Sunday and our flight was really early the next morning)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I wish that I had held his hands during the ceremony. I kept them at my side and they looked terrible in the photos. Other than that, everything was PERFECT!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Really nothing was a splurge.

9. What were your colors? Red (dark red) and white

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? We assembled the favors and printed our invitations at home.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    There are bride bloggers who have a lot of budget ideas. I recommend A Practical Wedding. My daughter just married.

1, How long did you plan? One year.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $16K.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 120 invites, 95 came.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None,but the orchid plant centerpiece was given away at each table.

5. What season was your wedding in? June

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sunday from 6:30 to 11:00. Sunday was discounted

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Absolutely nothing

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? A great photographer, and yes.

9. What were your colors? Aqua, tangerine and fuschia.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes, the invitations, the potted orchids instead of flowers, finding a good venue that included the main details.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?

1. I gave myself a year.
    2. Wedding hasn't happened yet so I won't know till it's all paid for. Budget is $5000
    3. about 100 is getting invited. expecting 3/4. haven't sent invites yet
    4. will have favors but don't know what
    5. next summer
    6. 2pm Sat 8/24
    7. nothing I hope!
    8. photography. In the end all you have is memories and pictures!
    9. pink and gray
    10. I plan to make favors and decorations
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    >>Less than a year. We got engaged and married less than a year later

>>$4500-$5000

>>Invited 80, 75 were able to make it.

>>We had a candy bar down stairs and minds in little boxes on the tables.

>> Spring (April 26)

>> 4:00 pm on a Thursday

>> A picture of the candy bar before it was destroyed. It had a lot of personal quirky charm to it (Ghibli plushes and 100+ paper origami stars I made) && A picture of my husband dipping me for our kiss.

>> My dress and cake. I looked stellar. My cake was beautiful.

>> Eggplant and champagne

>> Invitations, boxes, food, decorations, practically everything!

weddingsmall.jpgsmallcake.png
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? We got engaged in late February of 2010 and got married in early April 2011.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $500. We went super simple. It was the officiant, my husband, myself, my kids, and a photographer.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? See above.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? N/A

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday 4pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Not a darn thing.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? My dress! That was the most expensive part.

9. What were your colors? Black & white.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes. I did all the flowers, accessories like headbands, jewelry, ect.

DSC01051-Edit-Edit_zpsd8a999ff.jpg