News Anchor Stands up to Weight Bullying

Options

Replies

• Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Blech.

That was disappointing. Nothing stated in the email was false or cruel or bullying. The dude who wrote it sure is a moron.....but morons say stupid things all the time. I'm really disappointed this turned into some issue it isn't and this woman is being praised. She went off way more than the guy who wrote the email did. She was the bully here, actually.....

this.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Is sooooooo tired of hearing about this.... she just can't let it go and is becoming famous because of it. BULLYING MY *kitten* !!
    I just heard that she runs 3x a week .......suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure she does BAHAHAHAHAHA

There are many people on this site who are even heavier than that woman and who run regularly. I see posts from them quite often. Here's a recent example: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/711234-300-lbs-and-ran-my-2nd-5k-i-feel-like-a-superhero-w-pics?hl=300+5k

I'm sure she's just faking it though. No one who is overweight exercises or eats healthy things ever. Just as no one who is thin starves themselves to get there or spends any time watching T.V. Fat people all stuff themselves and sleep all day. While thin people all run 10 miles daily and eat healthy balanced meals. At least that is what I am "learning" from some of the ignorant comments in this thread.

This. Great response to someone who doesn't know when not to speak.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I hope that readers that feel this email wasn't bullying reconsider the powerful tactic of shaming. Accusing someone of letting down others and themselves can spiral people into depression so deep they commit suicide.

It IS bullying...of the worst kind.

I think people are being waaaay too dramatic about this. We're talking about a single email. If somebody's mental healthy, a single email is not going to cause them to spiral into depression and commmit suicide. People throw the word bully around alot. To me, a single email that is rude is not bullying. Why didn't she just hit delete after the first few sentences? When somebody's in the public eye and is noticeably overweight, they are bound to get criticisms. Not saying it's right, but it's bound to happen.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    How are we suppose to have an open dialogue about obesity every time someone gets butt hurt when the subject comes up? The mailer did not call her fat or a fatty. He did not email her multiple times. He did not display her obesity on YouTube. He did not tell her to put the Twinkies down. The email he sent her was private. It was the news caster who made it public domain. All he did was tell her the truth and apparently the truth hurts.

Obesity causes Type 2 Diabetes, Heart Diseases, High Cholesterol, and leads to an early death but many people here are in denial and they treat any constructive advice as "bullying". It's not okay to accept obesity and once we cross that line of acceptance, our lives and our children's lives will be a lot shorter.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If obesity is a choice vs an illness, etc, I don't see people shaming smokers?

Really?!? Terrible comparison. But you don't see smokers being shamed? They aren't even allowed in most public places anymore - (which I'm personally thankful for because cigarette smoke gives me asthma attacks.) I don't like smoking and think it's a nasty habit, but I can acknowledge that most smokers I know of are quite defensive these days because they take A LOT of flack for it.

Anyway, continue on with the topic, people.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Is sooooooo tired of hearing about this.... she just can't let it go and is becoming famous because of it. BULLYING MY *kitten* !!
    I just heard that she runs 3x a week .......suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure she does BAHAHAHAHAHA

There are many people on this site who are even heavier than that woman and who run regularly. I see posts from them quite often. Here's a recent example: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/711234-300-lbs-and-ran-my-2nd-5k-i-feel-like-a-superhero-w-pics?hl=300+5k

I'm sure she's just faking it though. No one who is overweight exercises or eats healthy things ever. Just as no one who is thin starves themselves to get there or spends any time watching T.V. Fat people all stuff themselves and sleep all day. While thin people all run 10 miles daily and eat healthy balanced meals. At least that is what I am "learning" from some of the ignorant comments in this thread.
    Interesting. Maybe you should have read the thread you linked, cause in that thread she lost 30lbs due to running.

I also find it hard to believe that reporter as well.

Yes, she lost 30 pounds. Why is that relevant? She still weighs 300 pounds, which I would think is quite a bit more than the television anchor who neither you nor the poster I was responding to "believes" can run. Yes, supergirl 6 lost weight. She might lose more weight, but she is, currently, an overweight (obese even) person who runs. Plenty of obese people exercise, plenty of thin people don't. Why is that so hard to understand? There are examples all over this site. Why do you find it hard to believe that the reporter in the story runs?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    This is a picture of the guy. Quote from the guy below responding to the news anchor. Nothing about it seems like a real bully to me and he is really smart in that he challenged her to be a better role model for young women.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2012/10/kenneth_krause_personal_injury_lawyer_wrote_letter_to_jennifer_livingston_calling_her_obese_photo.php
    Given this country's present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston's fortuitous position in the community, I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year, and, to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a bully at all. People just love to use labels, but it's not always accurate. How about describing what's wrong about his behavior rather than labeling him.

From Wikipedia:

Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others. The behavior can be habitual and involve an imbalance of social or physical power. It can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, sexuality, or ability.[2][3] The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a "target".

Did he threaten her or intimidate her? Is he harassing her? Physically assauting? Nope to all of the above. He wrote a critical email about her weight and challenged her to be a better role model. The email may have been offensive, but that's all.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What part of "If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all" do mothers not teach their children anymore?! Maybe, just maybe, as part of a loving friendship developed over a number of years, where said overweight person asks the opinion of a friend they know and trust, it might be acceptable to say something similar to that email. But otherwise? Keep your mouths shut. Being rude is not a personality trait to aspire to...
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Honestly what does she expect as a TV personality? If you put yourself in the public spotlight and invite comments, and then cry and whine when you get a negative email, then don't invite comments. She took a private email and posted it on a public social media site for millions to see! Then she cried "poor me".

I am still unclear how this is bullying? Did the viewer send her repeated emails? Does this mean that all celebrities that get negative emails are being bullied? Does she post all her negative emails on facebook?

I think she had an opportunity to make this about health and wellness, and her struggle with it, but instead she made it about BULLYING???

I think with the epidemic levels of obesity in our society it's ok to hold people accountable that are in positions of influence. The writer did it privately, she chose to make it public.
  • Cant0na
    Cant0na Posts: 34
    Options
    What part of "If you haven't got something nice to say, don't say anything at all" do mothers not teach their children anymore?! Maybe, just maybe, as part of a loving friendship developed over a number of years, where said overweight person asks the opinion of a friend they know and trust, it might be acceptable to say something similar to that email. But otherwise? Keep your mouths shut. Being rude is not a personality trait to aspire to...

Yep this. Someone being overweight is none of your damned business. If they ask for your help fair enough, otherwise butt out.

What I have learned on here is that some reformed overweight/unfit folk are worse than reformed smokers, they are freaking obsessed, judgmental much!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the letter, although offensive to the anchor, had good intentions. The man who wrote the email has an absolutely valid point. She is very overweight, and although we do not know if she has any health conditions that could affect her weight, she has a career in a visual art. I think she took it well out of proportion in calling it "bullying". Yes, he made a judgement based on her appearance, but hellooo...she is a TV anchor. For someone who was not hurt by his words, she sure made a big deal out of it.
    The guy went out of his way to write to her, of course it's bullying. Do you think she should quit her job until she loses weight? You're as bad as the dumb**se who wrote to her.
    I come onto this site to do much the same thing. Am I a bully for pointing out the obvious? Your idea of what a bully is is very lacking....
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    News Anchor gets imaginary internet high-five from me!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    If obesity is a choice vs an illness, etc, I don't see people shaming smokers?

Really?!? Terrible comparison. But you don't see smokers being shamed? They aren't even allowed in most public places anymore - (which I'm personally thankful for because cigarette smoke gives me asthma attacks.) I don't like smoking and think it's a nasty habit, but I can acknowledge that most smokers I know of are quite defensive these days because they take A LOT of flack for it.

Anyway, continue on with the topic, people.

I didn't get the memo that I wasn't allowed out in public anymore. ****. I thought they meant I couldn't SMOKE there, not that I couldn't be there because I smoke :O
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can't decide how I feel about this. Would I like someone to call me out on my weight issues? Not so much. Is there some truth to his letter? Yup. I'd like to say my weight is only my problem, but being that I live somewhere with public health care, I can't really say that, It's pretty common knowledge that overweight and obese people do effect the bottom line in regards to health care. I think it boils down to being polite. Is he right? Probably. Is it polite to point it out to her? I don't think so. I think she is very aware of her weight, as we all are.
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    The person who wrote the email seemed respectful and concerned. If they had been talking about smoking the point would have been the same.

It isn't an "attack" or "bullying" to show concern for someone. He didn't say "Hey fatass!" or anything like that. He used very clinical terms even used by the FDA. She is right though - she's got very thick skin - but not metaphorically.

I look in the mirror when I'm lifting weights and call myself a fatass if I think about giving up before finishing my planned sets.

A large majority of my region of the country is obese. I wish more people would point it out.

Rubbish.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like the letter, although offensive to the anchor, had good intentions. The man who wrote the email has an absolutely valid point. She is very overweight, and although we do not know if she has any health conditions that could affect her weight, she has a career in a visual art. I think she took it well out of proportion in calling it "bullying". Yes, he made a judgement based on her appearance, but hellooo...she is a TV anchor. For someone who was not hurt by his words, she sure made a big deal out of it.
    The guy went out of his way to write to her, of course it's bullying. Do you think she should quit her job until she loses weight? You're as bad as the dumb**se who wrote to her.
    I come onto this site to do much the same thing. Am I a bully for pointing out the obvious? Your idea of what a bully is is very lacking....

We are on this for advice and motivation. She was at work. There is a major difference there. It doesn't matter if his point is valid. He went out of his way to give his advice to a person he doesn't even know who anchors a show he doesn't watch. He is a jerk.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I saw this yesterday and was going to post it up myself! Good for her!!!! :drinker:
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The person who wrote the email seemed respectful and concerned. If they had been talking about smoking the point would have been the same.

It isn't an "attack" or "bullying" to show concern for someone. He didn't say "Hey fatass!" or anything like that. He used very clinical terms even used by the FDA. She is right though - she's got very thick skin - but not metaphorically.

I look in the mirror when I'm lifting weights and call myself a fatass if I think about giving up before finishing my planned sets.

A large majority of my region of the country is obese. I wish more people would point it out.
    I totally agree with you and if you ask me shell be the better for it at the end of the day. Fat is bad and there is no good way of telling a fat person he/she is fat. I was obsessed and nobody told me for years until God helped me and I realized it.
    Some people need critism before they can get up to do anything, it's also possible shes tried to lose weight at a point in her life, I assure you when she sits quietly and looks at the Positive side of what he said she will do something about her weight, it's bad whatever anyone thinks attack or not.
    Fat or obed people are most times not taken seriously because they look sloppy or maybe people think they can't achieve much unlike those who are not obeesed, I think weightless is worth it, for her and for every fat person. For self confidence, smart looks and above all a healthy life.
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    People are too sensitive. If she'd spend half the energy she spent moaning and groaning and becoming an e-hero for a day on getting healthy, this thread wouldn't exist. The guy was hardly bullying or trolling.