New Balance N4 heart rate monitor

Options

Replies

• all4juan
    all4juan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! This helps me out TREMENDOUSLY!! I've been at a loss as to how to use this thing and after reading your post, get it and look forward to the next workout!! Thanks.
  • dconawaymk
    dconawaymk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you as well! I had lost my manual and at first could only find this thread on how to set my HRM. But, I finally did find the manual. Here is the link for those who need it: http://www.highgear.com/manuals/english/N4_Global_English.pdf

:happy:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Thank you as well! I had lost my manual and at first could only find this thread on how to set my HRM. But, I finally did find the manual. Here is the link for those who need it: http://www.highgear.com/manuals/english/N4_Global_English.pdf

:happy:
    Awesome - thanks for the link! I've managed to lose my original instruction manual as well - thankfully I remember how to use it for the most part! :tongue: But always nice to have the directions to refer back to.
  • Reama5
    Reama5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just got one of these and have been wearing it around the house.... I did workout this morning, but my calories burned seems really, really high for just sitting here. Thoughts?

I mean, I'm just sitting here, and I'm burning 200 calories an hour. Just sitting here.

You will burn calories doing anything.... including sleeping. I burn 1.1 calories a minute while sleeping so that would be 66 calories in an hour :wink:

Do you add all those calories to MFP?
  • Jenngiurgila
    Options
    I just got one of these and have been wearing it around the house.... I did workout this morning, but my calories burned seems really, really high for just sitting here. Thoughts?

I mean, I'm just sitting here, and I'm burning 200 calories an hour. Just sitting here.

You will burn calories doing anything.... including sleeping. I burn 1.1 calories a minute while sleeping so that would be 66 calories in an hour :wink:

Do you add all those calories to MFP?

You should only count the calories you burn from exercise into MFP. The app has already calculated the calories your body needs just to function by the lifestyle you chose on your profile (i.e. sedentary, lightly active etc.). The calories your body burns just living is called your Basal Metabolic Rate and is already factored into your daily calorie allowance.
  • skorskc
    skorskc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like this monitor for tracking HR, etc, but I can't quite figure out how to decipher the cals burned even though I've plugged in all the essential info. Any suggestions? Am I looking too deep? I too was about to take it back...
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I found that the New balance over estimated calorie burn by almost double!
    I returned mine & now use a Polar FT4
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I like this monitor for tracking HR, etc, but I can't quite figure out how to decipher the cals burned even though I've plugged in all the essential info. Any suggestions? Am I looking too deep? I too was about to take it back...

To see the calories burned, press 'Mode' until you are in "HRM" mode. Then press 'View' to cycle through the info collected during your workout. Calories burned is in the third info set.
  • jbernstein360
    jbernstein360 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just got one of these and really like it. I have 2 questions though. 1) the chest strap - is the only way to put it on to put it over your head? I feel like I am stretching the elastic a lot when I do this. 2) I only used it once so far and when I stopped my workout, I hit the stop button. But the watch kept beeping at me and the little heart icon was still appearing on the bottom of the watch screen. I couldn't figure out how to get it to stop. I know it was beeping because I was below the minimum heart rate but why didn't it stop when I hit stop?
    Thanks!
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I just got one of these and really like it. I have 2 questions though. 1) the chest strap - is the only way to put it on to put it over your head? I feel like I am stretching the elastic a lot when I do this. 2) I only used it once so far and when I stopped my workout, I hit the stop button. But the watch kept beeping at me and the little heart icon was still appearing on the bottom of the watch screen. I couldn't figure out how to get it to stop. I know it was beeping because I was below the minimum heart rate but why didn't it stop when I hit stop?
    Thanks!
    Not sure about the beeping - I turned that setting off on mine because I didn't like the beeping as I went in and out of my zone during my workout. :tongue: It might stop if you go back to the Time mode rather than leaving it HRM mode...or did you try that?

As for the chest strap - I step into mine and pull it up rather than going over my head - I think there is less stretching that way - and go the same route when I remove it.
  • x_JT_x
    Options
    Thanks!
    Not sure about the beeping - I turned that setting off on mine because I didn't like the beeping as I went in and out of my zone during my workout. :tongue: It might stop if you go back to the Time mode rather than leaving it HRM mode...or did you try that?

As for the chest strap - I step into mine and pull it up rather than going over my head - I think there is less stretching that way - and go the same route when I remove it.

The chest strap you folks have doesn't come apart? I have this HRM and mine does. There's a tab that inserts into a round hole and sort of 'snaps' (for lack of a better word) into place. With mine, it's on the right hand side of the strap near the sensors.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    Nope, no tab on mine. It looks like this - although not the best pic because it only shows the front: http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/roadrunnersports/IMP114?wid=438&hei=432&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.1,1.0,5,0&iccEmbed=0
  • x_JT_x
    Options
    Nope, no tab on mine. It looks like this - although not the best pic because it only shows the front: http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/roadrunnersports/IMP114?wid=438&hei=432&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.1,1.0,5,0&iccEmbed=0

That looks like the one I have too. You may be right and it may not have one but it would be really odd if it didn't. My tab is not that easy to see, it blends into the material really well and sometimes I have trouble finding it, but it's there.
  • taracarone
    Options
    I don't still have my manual, could you tell me what the level numbers mean? This post has been super helpful!
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options

That looks like the one I have too. You may be right and it may not have one but it would be really odd if it didn't. My tab is not that easy to see, it blends into the material really well and sometimes I have trouble finding it, but it's there.
    Just checked it again - no buckle, just the little slide thingy that lets you adjust the size.
    I don't still have my manual, could you tell me what the level numbers mean? This post has been super helpful!
    My manual says:
    The N4 has the ability to automatically set the users heart rate zone based on the following equation. The setting can be found in HRM mode user settings.
    Male Maximum Heart Rate = 214 - (0.8 * age)
    Male Maximum Heart Rate = 209 - (.07 * age) - not sure if this one is supposed to say Women rather than Men?? Maybe a typo?

L1 (Light Intensity Workout) = 60% Max HR to 70% Max HR
    L2 (Medium Intensity Workout) = 70% Max to 80% Max HR
    L3 (Heavy Intensity Workout) = 80% Max HR to 90% Max HR
  • x_JT_x
    Options

Just checked it again - no buckle, just the little slide thingy that lets you adjust the size.

Amy,

Here are pics of the chest strap I have and where the tabs are. There's one on each side of the strap.

cheststrap1a_zps100bb374.jpg
    cheststrap2a_zps3f0a31a9.jpg
    cheststrap3_zpse2cbe1da.jpg

Yours doesn't look like this?
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    So it does! Ha! I never realized those popped out! I saw the little circles, but thought it was just where strap was attached to the plastic sensor part! :bigsmile: I've always just stepped in and out of it. I learned something new!
  • Livinglifelovely
    Options
    Thanks! Those instructions were great. :smile: :heart:
  • karann2108
    karann2108 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the N4 today and find the manual a little confusing and feel it lacks in user info. Will it track my heart rate without the chest strap? Before purchasing, I read that it did it either way but don't know how that works. Does anyone know the answer?
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    No, you need both the strap and the watch to track your heart rate. Trust me, you want the chest strap. :smile:

Edited to add: Unless the newer models allow for both, but the one I have does not track heart rate or take a pulse reading with just the watch, have to have both parts.