Flourless Butterless CHOCOLATE CAKE

Options

Replies

• GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I made it last night. There is less than 1/2 cake left!

I used Hersey Special Dark chocolate chips. I will use them the next time, too, as it had a nice, sweet, chocolaty tasted. I would say the texture was heavier than a regular cake, but only slightly. I would NOT consider it dense.

There are other MFP members who agreed with us, though: it is too dry.

One suggestion was to shorten the cooking time ... and the suggestion was to check it after 15 minutes, instead of 40.

I'm wondering if it might be improved by adding some grated zucchini. (If you have never tried a Chocolate Zucchini Bread or Cake, that will sound odd. If you have had them, you will understand my suggestion.)

I've also considered adding some applesauce or a banana for more moisture, but I'll go with the vegetable next time, for less calories.

Other reviews:
    * My husband: Loved it. (He knew about the beans, but likes to eat healthy.) Concerned about the calories. <sigh>
    * Daughter: Knew about the beans. Didn't like it.
    * Daughter's fiance: PICKY eater. (Did NOT know about the beans; or he wouldn't have tried it.) Liked it, but thought it was dry.
    * 5-year-old granddaughter: Helped me make it. Turned her nose up at the can of beans, but it didn't seem to register that this was in the cake! She was begging for more.

Nutritionist/friend: Bumped into her while buying the ingredients. When I told her the ingredient list, she DEMANDED a copy of the recipe! And, she was impressed that I was able to pull it up on my phone with the Evernote app, which has all my recipes -- as well as interesting clips from MFP, and the websites that MFP leads me to! (Sorry for the plug for Evernote. I have no connection to Evernote, but it sure makes my life easier!)

I see several more requests for nutritional requests, even though I posted it on page 5. (Other's have posted it as well; I like have more faith in my own calculations, which tend to be a little higher than the way MFP computes it.) Here it is, again:

I use http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php to figure calories. I figured on 15 oz garbanzo beans; hopefully that's the right size can!

Calorie Count says:
    1 entire recipe = 664g
    2212 calories
    Total Fat: 62.4 g
    Saturated fat: 24.3
    Cholesterol: 210 mg
    Sodium: 277
    Total Carbs: 240.4
    Dietary Fiber: 74
    Sugars: 110.3
    Protein: 103.6

If you cut one whole cake into eight servings:
    Serving size: 83 grams
    Calories: 276
    Total Fat: 7.8
    Saturated fat: 3
    Cholesterol: 26 mg
    Sodium: 35
    Total Carbs: 42.6
    Dietary Fiber: 9.3
    Sugars: 13.8
    Protein: 12.9
    Vit. A: 1%; C: 4%; Calcium: 7%; Iron: 21%
    Nutritional Grade: A-

Nutritional Analysis:
    Good points:
    Very low sodium
    High in dietary fiber
    High in manganese

Bad points:
    High in Sugar

You can copy and paste an entire recipe into Calorie Count. It takes a little bit to get used to, but after you've done it a few times, you realize how to adjust the recipe to fit them, and it's super easy. AND it gives you a whole lot more information than MFP does!
  • l4rest50
    l4rest50 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just tried this except I used black beans instead on garbanzo beans and I used two whole eggs. I baked it for 25 minutes. It was really good. The texture is a little different but still good.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    After reading about so many delicious recipes on here - I thought I would share my go-to chocolate cake recipe :)

Ingredients:

1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup of chocolate chips (I personally use the reeeeally dark chocolate because I like the way it tastes and you can use way less than say milk chocolate and have a much more chocolaty flavor
    3 egg whites - 1 yolk
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with Pam or some alternative.
    -Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent.
    -Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the baking powder, and pulse to blend.
    -Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. -Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
    -Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.

*I like to top mine with sliced strawberries or raspberries and dust with a little bit of organic confectioners sugar

OH - and don't TELL anyone that it's made with garbanzo beans and I am willing to bet you MONEY not a single person will question it. I've put this cake in front of some of the toughest critics and I have yet to have one last longer than a few hours... Enjoy!

Hey, I'm dairy free and gluten free... so, I am going to try this... though do I want to use the garbanzo beans or the black beans that I4rest50 tried (with 2 whole eggs for 25 minutes)? I have both in the house.
  • rolandgaspar
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • tim_w13
    tim_w13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • k1mmi3
    k1mmi3 Posts: 10
    Options
    Garbanzo beans? I haven't heard of them - are they a brand rather than type? I really want to try this:)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Garbanzo beans? I haven't heard of them - are they a brand rather than type? I really want to try this:)

Chickpeas. Same thing.
    0145528 Posts: 25
    Options
    Question for those that have tried the OP version of the recipe. Did you use a 15oz or a 19oz can of beans? I want to try this for my wife's birthday cake tomorrow, and want to make sure I'm using the optimal amount.
  • Joanne4972
    Options
    Bump from NZ
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    I am curious in you have thought of converting it to eggless just curious
  • andreahuffmon
    Options
    Bump
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i made choc devils food muffins with some white beans, i felt it blocks or dilutes the choc flavor, but it could be me. i know black bean brownies were not to bad so maybe it can work.
  • shelley2shane
    shelley2shane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    GREAT IDEA
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    thanks so much, I'll try it.
  • Livnluv83
    Livnluv83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Question for those that have tried the OP version of the recipe. Did you use a 15oz or a 19oz can of beans? I want to try this for my wife's birthday cake tomorrow, and want to make sure I'm using the optimal amount.

I'm also curious about this amount of beans, too. Help!
  • rmw1204
    Options
    Willing to try... I replaced oil in mine with applesauce (cinnamon applesauce I had handy at home) and no one knew any wiser. It was much better than would'vebeen with oil and was supposed to be a "pudding in the mix" cake. Thx. I'll try this one on my friend- and, no, I won't tell him about the beans until he's done and tells me how great it tastes!:smile: