10 questions about your WEDDING...

Options

Replies

• eyestylemom
    eyestylemom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 6 weeks

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $1500 and yes

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 100

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Did not have favors

5. What season was your wedding in? Blastedly hot summer. :grumble:

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday evening

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Would have done the real wedding I wanted

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Food and yes (though, this is what I am told from our guests...my DH and I didn't eat.

9. What were your colors? Periwinkle and cream

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Not really
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    We planned for three weeks and decided to go to Vegas. We spent $750 in total for the hotel and flight; most likely $1400 total with the chapel, fees, entertainment, visiting Valley of Fire and food. I have no regrets for making the day exactly how we wanted it to be. It was just us, no family or friends were able to join us- which was fine with us because they are along the journey of our marriage and didn't need to be present at the wedding.

Our gifts and checks in total paid for the wedding itself, with more to enjoy and put towards our future.

Best. Decision. Ever.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    a few months planning maybe 5 or 6
    2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    more that I thought the photos alone were £2500
    3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    about 130 invited, roughly 120 showed
    4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    didnt give out favours
    5. What season was your wedding in?
    spring
    6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    satuarday about 2PM
    7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    nothing (apart from if I could bring someone back to be there who passed away before the wedding)
    8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    photos and yes yes yes worth every penny, they are my memories
    9. What were your colors?
    thistle (im scottish) purple and green
    10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    we had the wedding and reception at our home, in a large marqee in the back garden
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 1 YEAR

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? ABOUT $11,000 (MARYLAND)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 225 INVITED ABOUT 175 SHOWED UP

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? CHOCCOLATE AND TEA.... TWO DIFFERENT CRAFT THINGS

5. What season was your wedding in? SPRING- MAY

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? SATURDAY, CEREMONY @2, RECEPTION RIGHT AFTER

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? i WOULD HAVE RENTED CHAIR COVERS, BUT OTHER THAN THAT IT WAS PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? THE DECORATOR.... SOOO WORTH IT!!!!!! LESS HEADACHE/WORRY!!

9. What were your colors? LAVENDER & PALE YELLOW

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which. ONLY THE FAVORS AND CARD BOX ON THE GIFT TABLE
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    Not long, maybe 2 hours.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    About 700 on the wedding/reception itself, about $1000 on the trip to Cancun where the wedding was held.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    Just immediate family-parents, siblings and our BFFs. About 15 people total.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    None.

5. What season was your wedding in?
    June-swampass hot in Cancun. I wouldn't do it again at this time.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    Around 11 AM on a Thursday.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    The person I married, we divorced less than 4 years later.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    The trip to Cancun, it was an absolute blast with our friends and family.

9. What were your colors?
    Lavendar-my matron of honor picked it out. I don't care about details such as these.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    I wore my mom's wedding dress so that was all I had to bring. The resort did everything else for us.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? - 2 Years

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Over 30 K (way too much)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? invited 230- 207 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Picture frames- used at the dinner choice/table they were seated at and favor

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Wedding 1 -reception 5:30 on a Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Amazing wedding- still the talk of the family. If i could do it over I would have a party at a park.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Country Club where we had it- It was gorgeous. It was worth what they did, but again too much $$

9. What were your colors? Deep Red.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Nope.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? WAS ENGAGED FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS. SPENT EVERY DAY PLANNING LOL BUT MY PLANS CHANGED 5,000 TIMES. IT WAS JUST FUN FOR ME SO I WAS INTO IT.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? I SPENT WHAT I KNEW I COULD WITHOUT PUTTING MYSELF IN A HOLE. EVERYTHING I DID WORKED AROUND MY BUDGET, MY BUDGET DIDN'T WORK AROUND MY WEDDING. ALSO HELPS TO BOOK THINGS IN ADVANCE SO YOU CAN MAKE WEEKLY/MONTHLY PAYMENTS.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? A LOT OF PEOPLE DIDN'T SHOW UP! I INVITED ABOUT 150, ABOUT 75-90 SHOWED UP. BUT I DIDNT MIND.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I BOUGHT CANDLES FROM PARTY CITY. I KEPT IT CHEAP BECAUSE HONESTLY, WHO EVER USES WEDDING FAVORS? DONT STRESS THE FAVORS, A LITTLE CANDLE IN A HOLDER IS FINE.

5. What season was your wedding in? SPRING

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? SATURDAY, 5PM

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I WOULD HAVE DRANK LESS. HONESTLY, I WAS SO NERVOUS I KEPT PUTTING BACK THE VODKA FASTER THAN I REALIZED AND I REGRET THAT A LOT. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS PERFECT.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? DJ/PHOTOGRAPHER/VIDEOGRAPHER. DJ WAS WORTH IT, PHOTOGRAPHER WASN'T, VIDEOGRAPHER IM NOT SURE YET IM STILL WAITING FOR MY VIDEO.

9. What were your colors? CERULEAN AND SILVER

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? MY AUNT MADE MY CENTERPIECES FOR ME OUT OF CHEAP VASES AND TREE BRANCHES FROM HER YARD SHE SRAYPAINTED AND DRAPED WITH SEQUINS. IT SAVED ME A TON OF MONEY AND IT LOOKED BEAUTIFUL. MY FRIEND WAS ORDAINED AND DID MY CEREMONY FOR FREE.

AT THE END OF THE DAY I THINK 3 THINGS MATTER - THE FOOD, THE MUSIC AND THE PEOPLE. I HAD GREAT FOOD, GOOD DANCING AND THE BEST GUESTS. PEOPLE LOVED MY WEDDING AND STILL TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT IT WAS. I KEPT IT SO SIMPLE AND IT WORKED.
  • trimblt
    trimblt Posts: 14
    Options
    1. 2.5 years (But, we changed our plans half way through)
    2. 6500 - our goal was 5000
    3. 48!
    4. Black lanterns and fruit bowls that held the granny smith apples that were our center pieces
    5. Jul 28 - Summer
    6. 4 pm on a Saturday
    7. At this point, there isn't anything that comes to mind that I would change. We had a very low key wedding with only the most important people in our lives. And everything went as good as it could have.
    8. Flowers - and totally worth it. They were even better on the day then I had anticipated.
    9. Granny Smith Apple Green and deep Purple
    10. I did all the decorating myself and a DYI back drop. It was alot of fun seeing it all come together as I can planned
  • crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 16 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $25,000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 200/ 175

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? yes, we gave out horseshoes with a little thank you tag on them. The horsehoes were free since my dad is a farrier (blacksmith)

5. What season was your wedding in? winter (february)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday at 3 pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I loved everything but I would have scheduled things a little better and made sure everyone knew some important things I wanted to happen that didn't pan out the way I wanted.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? videographer, honeymoon.- yes completely!

9. What were your colors? purple, brown, gray, ivory

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made all of our stationary products (invites, save the dates and programs), bridesmaids gifts were robes with their initails I ironed on, I made all of my flower out of fabric, and bought all of our centerpiece vases at goodwill to save on money.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 9 Months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $13,000 - $3000 more than planned

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 80 Invited, all showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Personalized M&Ms

5. What season was your wedding in? Late summer - September to be exact

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday at 5:30pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Food and drink… YES! Gotta keep the people fed and well hydrated

9. What were your colors? Ivory, Black and deep purple

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? pretty much everything. table centre pieces (origami birds and flowers). my hair piece and matron-of-honour's, my matron-of-honour's bracelet. our cake. our favour boxes, got vases for flowers at good-will.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Got engaged in September and married in November

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? £412 (wedding on a budget!)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 50

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? N/A

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 11am, Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? For the longest time I didn't like my wedding photo's because I didn't like the gold skirt suit I was married in, so maybe I would have liked to wear a wedding dress

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? My outfit and I didn't really like it :frown:

9. What were your colours? Gold

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Flowers, my Aunt made the bouquet and hair piece
  • alpha1029
    alpha1029 Posts: 139
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 8 Months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Not too much. Didn't see the point in blowing a ton of money.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Around 150 invited, probably 125 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? We gave out actual favors, handmade cards with favors on them like cooking dinner, helping move, buying a beer, etc..

5. What season was your wedding in? Summer.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday. There was a barbeque and games all day, ceremony at around 4, dinner at 5, dancing the rest of the night

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? We had a make-your-own-cupcake bar. I made one and it looked great, but someone pulled me away before I could take a bite. By the time I came back it was gone. If I could change anything it would be eating that darn cupcake!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Our wedding rings were probably our most expensive splurge and they were totally worth it. We got them from a local jewelry maker and couldn't have been happier (Minter & Richter Designs, I highly recommend them!)

9. What were your colors? Shades of green

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I DIY'd almost everything. I am a big time cheapskate and I feel like DIYing things gave it a more personal touch.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    1. How long did you plan? Almost 2 years

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Can't remember exactly, but it was under $10K Was this more/less than you planned? About what we planned

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Around 250 invited, I think around 180 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? The only thing we did was get personalized golf balls. Then we had a putting green and if people wanted us to kiss they had to putt a ball into the hole and got to keep the ball.

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall (October 4th) Today is our 10 year anniversary!

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Friday at 2:00 (ceremony)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would elope to Cancun....like I wanted to originally.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? For me: Fresh Flowers, for hubby: the SUV Limo Was it worth it? Both 100% Worth it!

9. What were your colors? Black, Silver, and Hunter Green

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yep...printed our own programs and invitations.
  • StaceyG221
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? A couple of months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Less than $25

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 20 to 30 guests

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sunday afternoon

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Not being preggo, so I could have worn a prettier dress

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Honeymoon to Gatlinburg...and yes it was! LOL!

9. What were your colors? Nothing specific

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? No
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 1 year or so.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? ~50K, we didn't really have a plan but i don't think i was expecting it to cost that much.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 250 invited / 190 showed?

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? jalapeño corn bread with hot pepper jelly in a little burlap bag.

5. What season was your wedding in? end of summer.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? saturday evening.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? the price :)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? photographer/photo booth. and the custom illustrated invitations. yes, completely worth it.

9. What were your colors? beige and wildflowers.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? lots of diy, but it wound up not saving me much money :)
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Just over 2 years

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? About 20,000 and yes it was way more than we planned - but our situation changed and we ended up doing alot of travelling for our own wedding, lol - we also paid as we went and had no debt after our wedding day. It was all paid in full when we left the hotel the next day. I think that was one of the best feelings :)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 120ish, about 80 or so

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? we had glass jars with kisses (it was supposed to be personalized M&Ms, my fav but the order was screwed up from M&M so we improvised)

5. What season was your wedding in? Late Summer, it was Labour Day weekend

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday at 3pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing, there were a few issues but it made the day what it was and it is part of the memory

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? - the venue - yes, it was beautiful and the food was delicious

9. What were your colors? decor was green (like a fresh spring green) and white, the girls and guys were in a gorgeous blue( dresses) and platium (ties, vests and gals shoes)

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? - The invites we ordered online, so it wasn't really diy but it was super cheap and they were perfect. All my diy plans went out the window when I got into the planning mode and ended up moving across the country - so it came down to do it myself and have to ship it 6000km or just pay and have it there. If you shop around and do your home work you can save - you will find out where you would rather spend and where you want to reign it in quickly. With our venue, the charm of the chapel was so beautiful that I spent very little on outside decor. And I mixed up the flowers, fresh for the bouqets and boutinierres but fake for the ones at the front of the chapel (no one was close enough to tell) and no flowers on the centerpeices)

All in all, I still smile when I think about it and talk about - I loved the way everything looked and how it came together! It was worth it and I have no regrets!
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? WAS ENGAGED FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS. SPENT EVERY DAY PLANNING LOL BUT MY PLANS CHANGED 5,000 TIMES. IT WAS JUST FUN FOR ME SO I WAS INTO IT.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? I SPENT WHAT I KNEW I COULD WITHOUT PUTTING MYSELF IN A HOLE. EVERYTHING I DID WORKED AROUND MY BUDGET, MY BUDGET DIDN'T WORK AROUND MY WEDDING. ALSO HELPS TO BOOK THINGS IN ADVANCE SO YOU CAN MAKE WEEKLY/MONTHLY PAYMENTS.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? A LOT OF PEOPLE DIDN'T SHOW UP! I INVITED ABOUT 150, ABOUT 75-90 SHOWED UP. BUT I DIDNT MIND.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I BOUGHT CANDLES FROM PARTY CITY. I KEPT IT CHEAP BECAUSE HONESTLY, WHO EVER USES WEDDING FAVORS? DONT STRESS THE FAVORS, A LITTLE CANDLE IN A HOLDER IS FINE.

5. What season was your wedding in? SPRING

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? SATURDAY, 5PM

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I WOULD HAVE DRANK LESS. HONESTLY, I WAS SO NERVOUS I KEPT PUTTING BACK THE VODKA FASTER THAN I REALIZED AND I REGRET THAT A LOT. EVERYTHING ELSE WAS PERFECT.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? DJ/PHOTOGRAPHER/VIDEOGRAPHER. DJ WAS WORTH IT, PHOTOGRAPHER WASN'T, VIDEOGRAPHER IM NOT SURE YET IM STILL WAITING FOR MY VIDEO.

9. What were your colors? CERULEAN AND SILVER

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? MY AUNT MADE MY CENTERPIECES FOR ME OUT OF CHEAP VASES AND TREE BRANCHES FROM HER YARD SHE SRAYPAINTED AND DRAPED WITH SEQUINS. IT SAVED ME A TON OF MONEY AND IT LOOKED BEAUTIFUL. MY FRIEND WAS ORDAINED AND DID MY CEREMONY FOR FREE.

AT THE END OF THE DAY I THINK 3 THINGS MATTER - THE FOOD, THE MUSIC AND THE PEOPLE. I HAD GREAT FOOD, GOOD DANCING AND THE BEST GUESTS. PEOPLE LOVED MY WEDDING AND STILL TALK ABOUT HOW GREAT IT WAS. I KEPT IT SO SIMPLE AND IT WORKED.

**Also forgot - I made my own invitations. Bought a kit from walmart and some ribbon. Done. They were great!
  • BRenkwell
    BRenkwell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? I guess technically it was a year and a half, but I didn't do much until about 8 months out.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Roughly $12k, it was about what we expected

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? about 100/about 65

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Reese's Pieces

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Late afternoon/evening - Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I'd do more to make it more "wedding-y" and I would have done speeches or at least thanked everyone as a group for coming (we thanked individually at tables), I also would have spent more time with my husband lol

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Venue - YES!

9. What were your colors? Orange/Brown/White

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Table runners - they were dark brown burlap with an orange/creme swirl pattern on top - made all of my centerpieces too (minus the flowers), just mason jars with raffia and what not.
  • RubyWare
    RubyWare Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The older I get, the more I talk to more people about things they wish they changed. The number one thing that we all agree on is to not spend as much money on the wedding but to save it for the honeymoon. Also a couple of friends have eloped with a *few* family members and then came back to have a big reception for everyone else. Don't do what your family wants you do to or expects you to do, this day is about the both of you and your commitment to one another.

^^This is great advice^^ My biggest suggestion is take pictures! Your kids and grandkids will love looking at them :love:
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 9months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? around $2000 not including my dress

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? invited 65ish, showed up, maybe 50ish? Not sure - we got married overseas (NOT destination type though) so we had local friends and then 10 family members flew in total.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? N/A (didn't know this was done at the time, I was young!)

5. What season was your wedding in? May - spring/summer?!

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday afternoon 2pm I think!

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I actually would have planned the music at the reception better, made more of an effort for dancing for everyone and I would have spoken up and said NO to the stupid garter nonsense and I would have done a practice bouquet toss! lol

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Photographs. Definitely worth it. It was the ONE thing I wanted right. We didn't go with the most expensive guy, but not the cheapest either. I LOVE all the wedding pictures we got, they are definitely worth the money.

9. What were your colors? silver and violet/light purple.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? We did a buffet/help yourself food arrangement (perfect for small wedding and my style. We had disposable cameras everywhere at the reception so we could have candid shots as well from everyone. LOVED that.