10 questions about your WEDDING...

Options

Replies

• daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?

5. What season was your wedding in?

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?

9. What were your colors?

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?

1) 2.5 years - the length of our engagement haha!

2) £5,000 which was bang on what we planned.

3) 70 were invited, all of them showed up.

4) We didn't have favours.

5) Summer.

6) Wednesday at 12:30 pm GMT.

7) I wouldn't invite my sister-in-law.

8) Our venue, and it was so worth it!

9) Green, white and gold - the Irish flag!

10) Everything we did, like invites, was DIY.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 9 Months (no, I was not pregnant! haha)

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?(hoped for 10K, spent 12K)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? (invited about 150, about 135 showed up)

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? (glass coaster set to each couple (all different designs) and a homemade rose chocolate to each person

5. What season was your wedding in? summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? saturday at about 3:30 or 4:00pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing. It was a beautiful day well worth the planning! ;)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? photography/videography - SO worth it! You can sell your dress and everything after, but still have the best memories!! ;)

9. What were your colors? Burgandy and light pink

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? EVERYTHING!!! Made centrepieces, midnight snack, chocolates, backdrop, wooden platforms to raise head tables, etc, etc, etc...
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? A yr

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? between 9k-10k

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? I think we invited close to 200 and had about 125 show up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I purchase little glass couple figurines during my travels overseas and had them shipped home

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall---GORGEOUS background for pictures

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday 5pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have been on time :laugh:

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? the venue..but they included food and cake

9. What were your colors? fall or as my lil sis called them "thanksgiving"...burnt orange, brown, and chartreuse

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Flowers...purchased them online and between my mom, aunt, bridesmaids, and myself we put the bouquets together the night before
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About three months. We were engaged but not sure when we'd marry. We liked the numerical combination of a day that happened to be a year after our engagement and decided to marry on that day even though it was in the middle of the week (10/20/2010). We had a party for friends and family 2 weeks later.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? On the party? Several thousand dollars. It was just what we expected.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? About 175 and about that showed up.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? No favors!

5. What season was your wedding in? October - fall weddings rock!

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Wednesday, about...1:30 or so. We did it at a little chapel with just my folks, his mom, his son and his son's girlfriend at the time. We all went to a late lunch/early dinner after. LOVELY!

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing, save for the guy who performed our ceremony was a little douchey when we arrived. (Since out of business, so that is what happens when you're an *kitten*!)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Oh...gosh...we really didn't splurge. Our bar bill was remarkable, though. I guess that was a splurge! Irish family = big bar tab.

9. What were your colors? Green. With some white and orange accents in the form of balloons. Really, we had our party in a reserved area of a really cool, lodgy bar. Tables - white cloths with candles that had green bows. Wedding bells throughout, white. Bunches of orange and white and green balloons for the kid population.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Made all decorations, invitations, some of the food (ordered the rest from the bar/restaurant), found an off the rack dress, did my own hair and makeup and kept things simple and informal like us. Petit fours instead of a big cake. Easy peasy!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    planned for less than 6mos
    we spent a little over 10k (well my parents and his parent did)
    we invited 100, 85 showed up
    we had champagne glasses with our name and date of the wedding and they were given out at the champagne toast we had
    it was in early spring
    the ceremony was at 6pm or so, right around sunset on a saturday
    wouldnt change anything, was a great party
    biggest splurge was renting the main deck of the aircraft carrier we had the wedding on, that was the biggest part of our budget
    no colors, i had gerber daises all over the place, i didnt have a maid of honor or anything like that.. just me and my husband to be and our families
    we made our own center pieces. and his mom and aunt made a candy bar and the topper for the cake.

it was all really mellow and fun. everyone went on tours of the aircraft carrier and there was music and dancing. and lots of good food. great night. all our family still come up to us and say ours was the best wedding they've ever been to
  • ProfessorStayPuft
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? One year

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? We spent $17000, but planned on $14000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 100 invited, 80 showed (we send some invitations expecting a no)

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Instead of favours, we made a donation to a local animal shelter, and made little cards for everyone saying that 'in lieu of traditional wedding favours, we made a donation to the Georgian Bay Animal Rescue."

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall!

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Ours was on a Saturday at 3pm - reception/dinner was at 6pm.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? We would have had less food made. A lot of it was wasted.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Biggest splurge was the photographer. The last thing you want is bad pictures of one of the key moments in your life. It was absolutely worth it. We did a lot of research and found one that was very artistic and that we loved :).

9. What were your colors? Black and Red

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? DIY was invitations and decoration set up. Don't pay for invites. If you have a printer and small amount of know-how you can make them yourself on Microsoft Word. Ours looked great!
  • lilmzritz
    lilmzritz Posts: 176
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Less than 5 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? About $3K

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? About 60

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? candles from Walmart ($1 each candle) with DIY labels and wax tarts from a start-up business

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring during Memorial Day weekend

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday at 5PM

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? That it got a little windy and got too cold – guests ended up inside the house which come to think of it is out of my control so I can’t really do anything about it

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Cricut machine and YES because I still use it for crafts & stuff. The machine was more expensive than my wedding gown!

9. What were your colors? Chocolate brown and apple green

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes. I was the party planner and did the save the date, invitations, favors, programs/menu, tissue packets, food labels, thank you cards, placeholders, napkin rings, no DJ (thanks to mixcrate.com), flowers from Costco, vases and candles for tables from $1 store, bought linens at discount store which we still use for gatherings at home, and biggest savings of all, we held our wedding in our backyard!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 3 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? about $5,000 - didn't really plan a budget

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? I think we invited about 150, about 70-100 showed

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? mini candy bars with custom labels, bubbles

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday 2:30pm (for some reason that's the traditional time I'm told)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would've changed MANY things: the dress (husband chose it but it wasn't me at all), the reception (dry reception at 4-H grounds, no alcohol allowed), the honeymoon (winter wedding with winter vacation retreat and I'm not a big fan of snow)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? the honeymoon - we went to the Poconos in the honeymoon sweet villa: a two story suite with 2 person shower, 2 story hot tub, private indoor pool and sauna. It may have been winter, but it was very pampering.

9. What were your colors? navy and silver

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? My mom did the bouquets, my uncle did the photography, my stepfather played the music at the ceremony on guitar, my family and I catered the food for the reception and I did my own wedding cake (I used to own my own cake decorating company).

I know there's only 10 questions, but the one thing I absolutely LOVED about my wedding was having it in the small chapel attached to my former church. It had been built and dedicated to the memory of my pastor who had died from ALS. It wasn't extravagent but it had a LOT of sentimental meaning to me and I wouldn't have traded it for anything.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Under 5 minutes. Literally

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $10 on a witness

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? None, except the witness we grabbed

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Nope

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Noonish, Tuesday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I might be less drunk

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? No splurge

9. What were your colors? Can't remember what my bikini looked like, pink, I think

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Nope.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 2 hours...literally.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $250...flat.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 2 invited...2 showed.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None!!

5. What season was your wedding in? Summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 10:30am on a Wednesday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? That was 14 years ago and I wouldn't change a thing!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Airline tickets to Vegas (where we eloped!)

9. What were your colors? Whatever colors were in the chapel that day...

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Hmmmm...not a darned thing!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? A few months, but seemed like forever

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? A few grand. More than originally intended, but less than most

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? around 100

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? My mother made chocolate lolipops

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Got married on a Friday eve (small and private) and had reception Saturday afternoon at a farm/park

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? nothing. It was perfect!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Honeymoon. We went to Greece and yes,yes, yes it was worth every cent

9. What were your colors? Light green with oranges and purples and browns ( fall colors)

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Almost everything was homemade. We did have it catered...ribs, chicken, mac and cheese, potatoes, etc in keeping with the farm theme.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About a year.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Around $4500, including my dress, his tux rental, and materials for bridesmaid dresses. It did not include the honeymoon, as our parents teamed up to give us that as a gift.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 65ish

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Glass votive holders filled with potpourri and wrapped with tulle.

5. What season was your wedding in? Late spring.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday 2:00p

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I wish we could have afforded a better reception hall. We didn't have much of a dance floor.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The photographer. Yes. Never skimp on the photographer.

9. What were your colors? Champagne and raspberry.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Um... almost everything. My husband's cousin did the bouquets and pew decorations. My mom made the bridesmaids' dresses and my veil. I made the programs and favors. My mom and I made the centerpieces (oil lamps filled with raspberry-colored oil, set on mirror tiles framed with satin and rope). We bought very few things ready-made.
  • spotdog14
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 2 months of actual planning (the wife did most of it).

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? About 30k, 10k over budget.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 300 invited, 293 showed.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Hand painted champagne glasses with chocolate inside.

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring (May)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday, evening reception.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing really.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The food, and yes it was worth it.

9. What were your colors? Eh... I think brown and fuchsia.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? The favors.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    We were engaged for a year and a half - so something just shy of that.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    Around $4,000.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    125-ish/70ish (several people we had to invite but knew wouldn't show up, and then some just couldn't come)

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    Matchbooks with our names and bunches of sparklers tied up with raffia

5. What season was your wedding in?
    mid-summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    Saturday brunch

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    I would have tried to let go of all expectations and plan something that just seemed fun - I tried to please too many people and ended up wishing I could have a do-over. Number one issue - would've had a way less frumpy dress :)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    Food and drinks, and yes. (Really nice brunch buffet, mimosa punch bowl, build your own bloody mary station, etc. - loved it)

9. What were your colors?
    The bridesmaids chose their own dresses, and were just asked to do a light earthy green (a peridot or sage type thing), and then the flowers were a crazy range of wildflower colors. The wedding itself was outdoors (the reception was supposed to be too, but it POURED so we moved inside - an old mountain resort hotel), so it all went together. Also the cake for cutting was a sort of sage green, and then we had cupcakes with white icing and wildflowers on them.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    I made our invitations and programs, used postcards local to the wedding as RSVPs (it was in a touristy resort town), had a friend who's a photographer do his thing, we had a big barbecue for the rehearsal dinner at my parents', etc. Also some of the decoration was our own (fabric for the cake table, raffia ribbon for the vases, etc.).
  • lilmzritz
    lilmzritz Posts: 176
    Options
    Here's our wedding montage :smooched:

http://web.photodex.com/view/pdpwp28
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About a year ahead, although we had to move the ceremony up 3 months because I was preggo.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? You cant go by me since it was 26 years ago, but it $5,000...we had the reception at my ex inlaws farm on the front lawn and used their produce stand as a dance/bar area. Rented everything we needed and had cold cuts and salads catered.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? We invited everyone...family, friends, co-workers...because it was so cheap to have it outside. Even kids were more than welcome. Everyone told us for YEARS afterward that it was the best wedding they had ever attended.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? No favors

5. What season was your wedding in? Summer...June to be exact.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Wedding was at 2...reception immediately afterward.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Because had to move up the date things were a bit more disorganized but no one seemed to care. :)

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Didn't really have any splurges. We even hired the 14 year old neighbor of one of my ex's cousins to be the bartender! He had a blast and made extra money from the tips.

9. What were your colors? It was the 80's...I was in cream which my Catholic inlaws felt was more appropriate for a pregnant bride (that I would have changed). My attendants were in the same style dress but different pastel colors.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made my own head table, fabric tablecloth with lace sewn on. I also bought the baskets I wanted used for the attendants bouquets, which I gave to the florist.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It has been 13 years since I got married, so things are done a little differently now...but

1, About 9 months.

2. Since we paid for most of the wedding ourselves, we were very frugal. I think it was around $3000-$4000 for everything including food, favors, pictures, decorations, dresses..etc.

3. We had about 200 at the wedding and around 250 at the reception.

4. Bubbles, bird seed, and spoons with two Hershey's kisses. The spoons were wrapped and had a saying on them (I can't remember the saying, it's been too long..lol!)

5. Summer...6 days after my birthday. Not the smartest move on my part. :wink:

6. It was on a Saturday in the early afternoon. That way we didn't have to do a full meal, just finger foods and cake.

7. NEVER LIGHT YOUR CANDLES THE NIGHT BEFORE!! The florist told us to, so we did. The next day (during the ceremony) we couldn't get any of them to stay lit. Still, it made for a very funny wedding story. Those are the best!! :happy:

8.Honeymoon....YES YES YES It was worth it! :love:

9. Violet and silver

10. Ohmygosh, where do I start? We made all the flowers, the pew bows, the bird seed bags, the Hershey kisses spoons, my aunt deocrated the entire reception herself, and we did some of the food too.

My sister-in-law made all of our jewelry for her wedding. I still have mine and my daughter's!
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? No planning, just time it took to book a flight!

2. How much did you spend? May $3,000 (Plane ticket, Dress,License,Justice of the Peace, Rings, Cabin for the weekend & Lunch)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 1/1 He recorded it for us!

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday 1145, walked into the back yard of the JOP, 1200 married and back in the car !

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? NOTHING, even today 10 years later; it was perfect for the two of us!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? None

9. What were your colors? Peach dress / Army Class A Uniform

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? NO
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 2 years (how long we were engaged)

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? about 6,000 we were suppose to spend 10,000.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? we invited i want say about 150, had 75 show. It was small.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? homemade candles.

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall. we just celebrated our one year anniversary sept 24th.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? It was on a Saturday and the festivities started at noon, with the wedding at 1, and the reception at 3.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? getting my dress from somewhere else.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? not really sure there was one, we got a lot of deals.

9. What were your colors? Midnight/navy blue, black, white, silver

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? the favors/centerpieces were candles, my flowers, the invitations, our own box thing for people to put cards in.

We got deals on the church, the lodge for our reception, the catering, my dress (picture is in profile pics), the tuxes, and the dj. we didn't do any of the fancy stuff as in church music, powerpoint at the reception, limos. The theme: we are who we are. we decided to make a statement that we didn't need a lot for us to enjoy our day. We also didn't go on a honeymoon because we decided the money would be better spent on our child.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? almost 2 years

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? I don't remember the exact amount but around $10,000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? We had about 120 people show, invited about 200

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? little silver heart boxes with mints in them

5. What season was your wedding in? Summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday at 2pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? wouldn't change a thing!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? We released butterflies instead of doing bubbles or rice. They were pricey because the had to ship them from Georgia in a special box but they were awesome and we got some great pics.

9. What were your colors? Blue and silver

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? my MIL and I made the center pieces, my husband's grandmother made the flower girl basket and ring bearer pillow as well as the flower girl dress and jr. bridesmaid dress, and I made our cake topper.