What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Agree that there clothing is overpriced and ever since they went all Ayn Rand have even less desire to purchase.
    Funny spoof on thier bags....

http://www.yogadork.com/news/lululemon-gets-slapped-in-the-manifesto-a-provoking-parody/
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    If LuLu thinks it can make money at it, they will sell more plus size merchandise. It is probably a question of inventory management, which hasn't always been the company's strong suit (and acknowledged publlicly by senior management).
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Agree that there clothing is overpriced and ever since they went all Ayn Rand have even less desire to purchase.
    Funny spoof on thier bags....

http://www.yogadork.com/news/lululemon-gets-slapped-in-the-manifesto-a-provoking-parody/

If you think their stuff is overpriced you probably haven't owned a piece of their clothing for any length of time. Holds up remarkably well year after year. Always looks brand new.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Need to gripe about this for a moment but going to be as fair as I can be in my observations.

Truth (as I see it): Lulu lemon is a company that is not just selling a product but trying to portray a specific lifestyle of health and fitness. (I have even heard that to be employed by them you must meet a certain fitness/health criteria, although that is just hearsay, can't say for sure) and this is okay; this is not a bad thing.

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

So what's bothering me?

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".
    I, as well as many other overwieght people (like all the people on MFP) want to purchase work out wear not because of a fashion statement but because we genuinely want to get fit! I feel like my true effort to get fit and get healthy and lose weight fits better within the lulu lemon "mission/statement" than those who just want to look fashionable. (Having said that, i have nothing against those who want to purchase this workout wear just for fun and for comfort).

So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

I know i can shop anywhere and that I do not need to buy lulu lemon clothing... but to be honest, in general, finding appropriate workout wear in plus sizes is very difficult. At least where I live.

I know I am singling out lulu lemon since MOST producers of work out wear are of the same opinion (No Spandex for fatties lol even though not all work out wear is tight fitting or made of spandex) but I am really put off by a company that is trying to "project an image and lifestyle" of fitness, yet their products are prejudice against those who really want to get fit, who want to better their lives.

Sure slim people work out too, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just don't understand why it is "unacceptable" for an overweight person to want to purchsae workout wear.

I will also admit that part of my feelings toward lulu lemon are not just because of their products but because of some of their staff (which is not neccissarily something that can be pegged on the company)... every time i have walked into a lulu lemon store here (usualy with a friend who is shopping there), I get strange looks from their staff memebers. They look at you with that look that says "ummm these clothes are not for you; you won't fit. I'm not sure why you are here" and to be fair, this is something I have felt in more than just lulu lemon stores... many retail shop that don't sell Plus sizes have employess that will look at you a little strange when you are in there.

I guess I just finder it harder to swallow when it is coming from a retailer that is specifically targeting work out gear.

Am I alone here or are my feelings justified?

Like you said... It's not just Lulu Lemon. Have you ever shopped in a Forever 21 store? BTW: Lane Bryant doesn't have my size either....
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Also, the Lulu Lemon brand does last a long time. I have also been a plus size and shopped at Lane Bryant and their clothing is over priced and does not hold up at all.
  • lovegrace21
    lovegrace21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I only ever see women in Lululemon around the Highland Park area here in Dallas. Which means they are rich enough to spend all day being skinny blonde trophy wives and little else. That is Lululemon's core demographic from all appearances. And they can do that if they want. Capitalism, see. Other companies cater to us real folk.

There are cute clothes in a larger variety of sizes in many other places. I've never shopped at Lululemon because I didn't see the point in buying an overpriced swatch of spandex that I'm just going to douse with my stank sweat!

*shrug*

Well, I happen to live not far from there...and I also happen to be a blonde and a SAHM and I wear Lululemon....but guess what?! I actually workout and lift heavy *kitten* weights! There is nothing wrong with looking good and wearing cute clothes that I worked DAMN HARD for.

First, never said there was anything wrong with looking good. Don't know how you translated "trophy wife" to SAHM. They are not the same thing, by any means. Don't know why you're projecting and getting so defensive here.

You would only see yourself in these statements if you are insecure.

But to be completely honest, if you're a SAHM, you did not work hard for those cute clothes. Your husband did. Money buys Lululemon, not heavy *kitten* weights.

What a pathetic reply and you know NOTHING about me or what I do, so do not assume you do. You are the one who is obviously insecure or you wouldn't make broad *kitten* assumptions about women who wear a certain brand of clothing. Jealous much?

But you must think you're special and witty with your clever 'come backs'...LOL.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I only ever see women in Lululemon around the Highland Park area here in Dallas. Which means they are rich enough to spend all day being skinny blonde trophy wives and little else. That is Lululemon's core demographic from all appearances. And they can do that if they want. Capitalism, see. Other companies cater to us real folk.

There are cute clothes in a larger variety of sizes in many other places. I've never shopped at Lululemon because I didn't see the point in buying an overpriced swatch of spandex that I'm just going to douse with my stank sweat!

*shrug*

Well, I happen to live not far from there...and I also happen to be a blonde and a SAHM and I wear Lululemon....but guess what?! I actually workout and lift heavy *kitten* weights! There is nothing wrong with looking good and wearing cute clothes that I worked DAMN HARD for.

First, never said there was anything wrong with looking good. Don't know how you translated "trophy wife" to SAHM. They are not the same thing, by any means. Don't know why you're projecting and getting so defensive here.

You would only see yourself in these statements if you are insecure.

But to be completely honest, if you're a SAHM, you did not work hard for those cute clothes. Your husband did. Money buys Lululemon, not heavy *kitten* weights.

What a pathetic reply and you know NOTHING about me or what I do, so do not assume you do. You are the one who is obviously insecure or you wouldn't make broad *kitten* assumptions about women who wear a certain brand of clothing. Jealous much?

But you must think you're special and witty with your clever 'come backs'...LOL.

Agreed.

And even if one's husband does buy lululemons'...you still gotta be the one to work your butt off to get into them!!!!

I love lulu's..one of my bootcamp clients bought me some not too long ago. LOVE THEM! Maybe my client worked hard at her job to buy me lululemon's ...but I did a heck of a lot of deadlifts and squats to look good in them!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was just listening to a radio station talk show talk about this... not lulu lemon, but just the way women have to be all separated and made to feel bad about their weight. Why do we have separate stores for women of different sizes? Why is there a plus size store? Why can't you just sell all women's clothing in the same store? It's like saying "you fat people need to go shop across the street at the ****ing dress barn. we don't want you fatties intermingling with us thin folk."
  • ChanyL
    ChanyL Posts: 41
    Options
    Your feelings are totally justified. I don't know where you live, but I find my workout clothes at Additionne-Elle, Reitmans or Walmart. :-)
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't payer more than 20$ for workout clothes. I wear sweat pants and old boring tshirt.
  • hdmack84
    hdmack84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also, Pennington's (an affiliate of Addition Elle) has ActiveZone wear for up to 5X last I saw! SOOOO comfy!! :D And stylish too! :)
  • Leeny01
    Leeny01 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a gripe about plus sized clothing in stores like Target and Walmart, which are all over where I live. They seem to think that once you get above a size 14, all you need are sweats and crazy patterns. I was working in an executive office and went to Kohl's for some nice suits and whatnot, but wanted to save a little and get some pieces at the other stores. T-shirts and sweat pants, check; WILD print blouses, check; elastic waistbands, check; too-long tops or gathered waists, check; Um... just because I'm not a size 8, doesn't mean I want to dress like Dorothy from the Golden Girls.

WHY is the plus size section not the same clothes, but bigger? Why does the style have to change from cute and trendy to mostly blah? Frustrates me terribly.

This made me laugh so hard. So true. A lot of stores carry the UGLIEST plus size clothes imaginable. I've found the other extreme to be places like Torrid where instead you can be a plus size prostitute. Granny or prostitute, take your pick. (Not that Torrid doesn't have some nice things as well lol)
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • banks89202
    Options
    This forum makes me want to vomit .......just saying
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    They do have really cute clothes and even though I can now fit into them, I have a really difficult time justifying a purchase of 1 pair of work out pants for $110 bucks.

I buy Old Navy works out clothes, wick...look great much cheaper.
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was just listening to a radio station talk show talk about this... not lulu lemon, but just the way women have to be all separated and made to feel bad about their weight. Why do we have separate stores for women of different sizes? Why is there a plus size store? Why can't you just sell all women's clothing in the same store? It's like saying "you fat people need to go shop across the street at the ****ing dress barn. we don't want you fatties intermingling with us thin folk."

EXACTLY! I'm on the fence with sizes, I can wear up and in some stuff I can wear down, but I have to go to twice as many places to figure out what fits right now...and sorry, I can't/won't walk around all the time in ill fitting clothes (even at my largest). And I'm not talking about workout gear, I could care less what I wear for that...sweats/tees is fine for the most part...I moved past the expensive stuff when I realized I didn't want to mess it up by sweating in it years ago) I need something to feel good about myself in and maybe that's vain, but it's the truth...I'm on a journey to lose weight but in the meantime I have a life to live, places to go an appearance for my job, family to keep up - hell, sometimes a funeral or wedding to attend. And a pair of too large pants and too tight top (or vice versa) AIN't gonna cut it. So the overweight people of the world have a right to complain about the way we are treated in shops, be it by the sales people or the very nature of the corporation (we don't sell your size at all, any day of the week!)

And sorry if this offends some of you, but it's the truth.
  • SolindaL
    Options
    Cutest plus size clothing at Maurices!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    my workout gear consists of:

Sweat pants
    Old shirts
    Free shirts (for participating in certain events, etc.)

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day

^^^^^THIS!!!!
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The "lululemon girls" were in my spin class yesterday and boy did I feel like a frump! I think their clothes are SO cute and they just came out with a spin line, but their prices are outrageous! I did tell myself that I could buy myself their spin shirt/jacket/leggings when I get down to my goal weight as a prize. Dumb, I know.

I am a total sucker for cute workout clothes.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm technically an 18 and wear their 10s. The sizes are pretty forgiving.