WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2012

Options

Replies

• Timo113
    Timo113 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone -- I have read some of the threads here and thought this would be a great thread to get involved in .... Yes I an 50 --- PLUS and would love to get some encouragement from my peers as well as give some encouragement! Bring on OCTOBER we still have 27 days before you can dig into the left over candy from Halloween.... you know you can always
    1. Return it --- WHAT!!!
    2. Bring it to work -- put it by the coffee machine it will disappear
    3. Bring it to the Senior Citizens Center --- Seniors love free stuff and we will be there shortly

What are your ideas to get rid of the extra Halloween candy?????
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just to let people know - I make and teach bobbin lace. The scarf I'm making at the moment is about 10-11 inches wide and I'm not sure how long it will be by the time I've finished it. I'm making in it 100% pure wool which is just a little bit finer than sock wool. I've changed my picture to show the finished part. There is about another 8 inches under the navy cloth that is still pinned to the lace pillow.
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i especially like number 3! :laugh:

janie
  • JNHeff
    JNHeff Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    DeeDee,
    there has been some kind of insurance glitch, and they wouldn't let me go to PT on W.....:angry::noway: :frown:

i called the insurance folks and they are unaware of a problem~ sounds like somebody didn't get the paperwork out at the end of the month. :grumble:

the insurance rep told me to call back if it isn't resolved in a day or two.... :ohwell:

SO, stubborn gal that i am, i just took myself upstairs (my sports center is an adjunct of our hospital, and PT is in a seperate room downstairs, and the exercise machines and walking track are upstairs) the bottom floor has the basketball courts, the PT suite, some special rooms on the other side of the courts for classes, the pool, racketball courts, the daycare, and a couple of rooms for meetings, and the offices. i know, tmi! :wink:

so i CAREFULLY hobbled from one machine to the next, and found most of the stuff that i had been doing in PT. :happy:

there are 4 machines i couldn't find, but i got a decent workout, anyway. :smile:
    it wasn't as long or as hard as PT~ i didn't know how to crank up the intensity on the recumbent bike, so i just pedalled as fast as i could for the same length of time....:tongue:

i'm hoping the PT folks call me in the morning, so i can go to my scheduled appt. if not, i'm going to the p timeool & water-walk! :smile:

I've made GOOD PROGRESS, and i refuse to REGRESS! :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

you don't even want to know how many times my sweet Mama called me today..... i didn't think i was ever going to get a chance to leave to go to the sports center! :laugh:

it's been quite a day! sweet dreams! :flowerforyou:

janie :heart:
  • poohmarsh
    poohmarsh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I tried to post last month and just could not keep up! I am still working in a school (in Georgia), but no longer in a classroom. I am an IB coordinator (International Baccalaureate). This is my 30th year in education! Can't believe it!!! Could retire after this year, but feel too young at 51 (plus worried about money - I'm single and I worry money will fall short, especially in the long run). Things at school have been crazy!!!! :explode: Working way too many hours and can't keep up. The economy is killing us! 9 furlough days, less money in budget, more work and MORE TESTING!!!!! Will admit, knowing that I could retire is a little freeing (and tempting on tough days).

Sorry, enough about that.

My goals for September were:
    -Continue loosing 1 - 2 pounds per week (avg. 1 pound, so :happy: )
    -Exercise at least 4 times a week for 30 minutes ( was up to five days :laugh:)
    -Clean out some of the junk in my house (fell short here :cry:)
    -Try to sleep more hours (menopause and stress are killing my sleep!) (not doing well here either :sad:)
    -Try to make healthier food choices (making progress, trying new recipes also)

OK, kind of funny story related to my goals. I have been working to increase my exercise, but have arthritis in one foot. So, I decided to buy a bike and alternate walking and riding. Only problem, I haven't ridden in 30 years! The very day I bought my shiny silver bike, I took it for a ride. I was able to ride, although it was a little scary. But, I managed to fall off the bike 3 different times and finally hurt my good foot. I had to stop exercising this week to give it time to heal. The crazy part was that I didn't fall riding. I fell trying to get on and off the thing!!! :laugh: I can't decide if I was very brave or very stupid.

My goals for October:
    -Continue to lose 1 pound a week
    -Get back on that bike! Exercise at least 4 days a week
    -Try to sleep more (need to learn this as I sit typing at 2:00 am)
    -Continue trying to clean out junk
    -Try new healthy recipes (tried tomato pie tonight and loved it).

Have a good day!

Wanda
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI! TGIF!!!Today my son is 27.Oct was a busy month for me-3 children`s birthdays this month and possibly my new grand daughter.Homecoming tomorrow.Next week should be more calm.?
    Have a great fri.
    HUGS
    jane m
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Walking to work in snow today. :laugh:

Wishing everyone the best today and throughout the weekend. Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians!

Planning an extra hour on here Monday evening to catch up with all you wonderful women then....
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Just marking my place before I go to the pool. Tigress
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @pooh - that reminded me, I need a new bike!!! Mine is beyond repair!
    @Tigress - I wish I could go to a pool - it's freezing here in the Chicago area today.

So . . . . weigh in day!!! I lost exactly one pound. Yayyyy!!! I am creeping toward a normal BMI,

BMIe.jpg
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just checking in quickly, will be back later to read/post more.

NSV for today...I just got to work and I'm feeling frumpy & sloppy. My shirt and pants are baggy. I can't wait to go home to change into snugger clothes.:bigsmile:

Over a month ago I couldn't wait to get home to get out of tight clothes and put on sweats:frown:

Have a great Friday morning!

Lynn
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone,
    I’ve been hiding in the shadows this past week feeling a bit down and no motivation…as I am writing this I thought geez shouldn’t that be the time you use the group for moral support etc.? (light bulb moment!) I was using the motorized bike pedals for exercise at home but used them for too long a time starting out and my knee has been killing me ever since. The lady at the Arthritis place said I should start out with only 5 minutes and I was doing 25!
    I picked up my brace (after it going away for “alterations”) I wore it today in the house for a bit and it really does help with my stability and the pain, but I am still having an issue with it staying up. To their credit they did say they would talk to the “boss” if this can’t be resolved but I really have no other option than to either make this work or suffer till knee surgery(which in Nova Scotia could be 2 years! ) so the lady is going to see if they can rig something up to help it stay up. It’s the shape and size of my leg that is causing the problem, not the brace. My upper thigh is large and fleshy and my calf is small.
    Well, I must get started on some housework, everyone’s coming this week end for Thanksgiving. I have not met all my goals for the first week of October, but promise I will for the second week. Have a good weekend everyone.

Cathy

October Goals:
    * Track my food
    * Use the bike pedals at least 5 days a week
    * Get to the pool 2-3 days per week
    * Cut back on my drinks on the weekend
    * lose and keep off 6 pounds (I tend to yo-yo)
    * Eat more vegetables
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Poohmarsh, you are brave. No doubt about it! If nothing else, getting right back on the bike -- and buying it in the first place -- proves it!
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!:smile: The scale finally moved the right way!:drinker: Since Sept. 25th (which was my last posted loss), the scale has been inching back up. So though officially I only lost 1 pound, I really lost 3 total because I never recorded the gain! Getting my eating back on track, thanks to the help of MFP and my great friends here! Will catch up on all your posts in a little bit! Have a great one!

Kathy

The new pic is from my DS wedding last Oct. Can't believe it's been almost a year already and can't wait to see him around Christmas!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Gotta love that it's Friday,

No time to read still playing catch up at work. I came in yesterday still a bit dizzy but not so bad that I couldn't walk straight or not drive a car. About 3 I realized I could move my head up and down without the added room movement...so today I'm totally back to normal:happy:

Have to see about payroll and shuffling more papers.

Hoping everyone is doing well and keeping up on your logging, drinking and moving. I have a dentist appt for a cleaning after work and am hoping to get in some exercise today....it felt strange not getting any in for two days.:noway:

TTFN Laura80111:smile:
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Happy, happy, happy FRIDAY! Last week I had a 4+ loss and I thought surely it was because of the flu. So this week I expected a gain back. BUT I worked at maintaining and came up with a loss. Only dot 8 lbs but a loss and I am happy. Onward!
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @pooh - that reminded me, I need a new bike!!! Mine is beyond repair!
    @Tigress - I wish I could go to a pool - it's freezing here in the Chicago area today.

So . . . . weigh in day!!! I lost exactly one pound. Yayyyy!!! I am creeping toward a normal BMI,

BMIe.jpg

Your prayers were anwered...:smile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, TGIF! It's been quite a week, busy busy.

The pizza sauce cooked most of the day yesterday and is spicy-nice and quite thick. I'll bag it up and freeze it. I made 2 pans of oven-dried tomatoes, too. When they're done they're put into jars, topped with olive oil and stored in the fridge. So tasty!

Last night I read about the importance of B vitamins , vitamin C, and Omega-3s in a book called "The Food-Mood Solution". The author states that taking a high-potency (multi) vitamin supplement is one of the best things we can do for our health, and we should choose one that includes at least 50 mg each of vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6. I think I'll look at a few brands today while grocery shopping. I'm aware that there are several schools of thought on taking vitamins in general. I'm curious as to your thoughts.

Another beautiful, sunny day in store here! Wishing you all a happy Friday filled with good food, good friends, good workouts or walks and lots of water!

:smile: jb
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone

My October goals are progressing nicely and my sneak peaks are very encouraging. Unlike Kathy, I did change my stats to reality at the beginning of the month, but there should be a positive change on my next 'official' WI.

Have to decide what we are going to have for Thanksgiving - a turkey goes too far when there are only 2 people to eat it. I'll check if there is any turkey breast, or perhaps get a nice pork roast - steering clear of beef at the moment because I like it rare.

DBF was very ill earlier in the year and has recently started his rehab at the Heart Institute. THey offer an exercise program, a stress management course as well as diet and nutrition courses. He is supposed to be finding out the dates so we can sign up. I suggest that we make some meals ahead of time so that we have the week planned out and all he has to do is take one package out of the fridge and cook it. He doesn't do enough veggies and often makes something quick and easy which isn't always either nutritionally good or helpful calorie-wise. He is disabled so doesn't get a lot of exercise which doesn't help with the weight-loss.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Here I go posting too mch again, however, I am so proud of me. My resolve is still so strong. Once again donuts and muffins have been dumped in the break room here at work. Instead of total deprivation, I chose a mini poppyseed muffin and I am happy with my 100 calorie treat.

Now to just make it through the holiday goodies which are bound to show up. :wink:

Someone asked about left over halloween candy - it won't bother me because I am only giving out Twizzlers this year. However, the two tons of candy that will be sitting in my kid's rooms, hmmmmm. Candy and ice cream are my poisons. Before I started logging again I am certain that at least half of my daily calories came from candy.
  • poohmarsh
    poohmarsh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wessecg - My brother lives in Woodridge, outside of Chicago. We grew up in Northwest Indiana on a farm. Looking forward to going to visit him for Thanksgiving. I always wish for snow, something we don't see in Georgia. He keeps telling me to leave his weather alone.

Congratulations on the strong resolve! I keep candy for the teachers in my office - way over by my door. Some days, that is hard to resist.