This will take more than a week...

Options
Hello all,

I have seen some posts lately of people getting frustrated with "minimal" losses, thinking of taking diet pills, cutting calories like crazy, and everything else of the sort.

All across the board, it seems some people think that the losses they have achieved are not good enough. It is good enough. Every ounce you lose is good enough.

Every time you lift that weight one more time than the last, it's good enough.

Every time you take one more step than you did the last time, it's good enough.

You are building strength and endurance.

In March of 2005 I weighed 209 pounds. I can remember exactly where I was when I saw that number, and I was horrified that I weighed more than 200 pounds. "Girls aren't suppose to weigh that much! What the hell is wrong with you?!?!" I wept on the scale at my Dad's house during my little brother's birthday party. That November another of my brothers was getting married, and I was a brides maid. I was determined to NOT be the fat one. I lost 15 pounds in 6 months… I was still the biggest one up there, and embarrassed. Did I let this stop me? No, I kept going. I lost another 10 pounds the next summer. Then another 10, and another. I gained 10, lost 10, and then another 10 more. Most recently I gained 10 pounds back, and absolutely had enough with the up and down.

Since March I have lost 20 pounds total. Yup, 20 pounds in 6 and a half months. That is less than 1 pound a week. Have I let ANY of this get me down? NO! I go weeks without anything on the scale. It's ok. There are weeks when I "gain". It's ok. In the long haul, I am losing. That's all that counts. I am losing. I'm going to stop losing soon, I know. At a certain point, you can't lose any more without being unhealthy. That is the point when I start to really up my strength training.

My point is, it has taken me 7 years to get to where I am! Yes… that is a long time. Yes… people have most certainly done it faster. But the second you think that what you are doing isn't enough, is the second you start failing. Beat those thoughts out of your head. If you think you're failing, go for another workout or make sure you're choosing healthy foods. Beat those thoughts up!

You don't need to starve. You don't need diet pills. What you are doing is good!

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • misswhitlynn
    misswhitlynn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this :)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It will take more than a week. I took me a year and 1/2 to lose 42 pounds. That's really slow, but I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I get frustrated by people on here freaking out that they aren't losing fast enough. What's your rush? You have the rest of your life. If you eat right and move it will come off. You don't need to starve yourself and kill yourself at the gym either. You just need to be honest with yourself about what and how much you are eating. You don't need surgeries, pills, potions. You need motivation, common sense, dedication and patience.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    thanks for making this thread it must be fate that you made it while i was on.. i have been struggling with losing my last 6 pounds and feeling like im making no progress and sometimes freaking out when i gain .2 pounds.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    great post and I have to admit these last 10 lbs has gotten me frustrated at times but this post is a reminder to me to be thankful for what I have accomplished. Something I needed to read today Thanks!
  • ilanawithani
    Options
    Excellent! Great perspective and it is super helpful (and healthful, lol) to be reminded that these changes do not happen over night. :) Thanks
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I LOVE YOU GIRL! I didn't realize you started your journey with such a long way to go. I've got mad respect for you, especially with your gunz! And this message is oh-so-true. :heart:
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I know I am not the only one who struggles with this. 23 years of being the chubby one, and then 7 more of getting healthy gives you some perspective, as I'm sure a lot of you can appreciate.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This was lovely to read, makes me more patient with these final few pounds
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I so blame the media and all the extreme weight loss shows for making people think that anything less than a 5lb per week weight loss is bad. I'm averaging 1/2 to 1 lb per week now, and I am sooo happy with that number! I still have about 60 lbs to go, but I'm in no hurry to get there. I also know to expect my weight loss to slow down even more, the closer I get to my goal, and that is NOT a bad thing, as long as I'm moving in the right direction.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Great post!

I tire of all the "So frustrated, I have been at this for a week and no results".

I takes effort and a lot of patience get results. If you're seeking instant gratification try a slot machine.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • radtechlisa
    radtechlisa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. We all know that we didn't gain our weight overnight and it isgoing to take work and dedication to lose it and it will not be overnight. Thank you,I read this post at just the right time.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Wise words and a reality check. We have all been there. I am almost 3 months in and it feels like the weight loss is creeping along, compared to other times I lost weight. It takes time and committment to get healthy and fit. Keep at it people. You didn't gain those extra 30, 50, 75 or 100 lbs in a few weeks, so don't expect that it will come off in a couple of weeks, or even a couple of months.
  • martintanz
    Options
    A few obervations reading through "disappointed" threads the last couple of weeks. It seems like it falls into 2 groups. Your advice really could apply to both groups, but for somewhat different reasons.

1. People just on the high side of normal. These folks just need to increase the quality of their food, and start an exercise program. Clearly, it will take months, maybe longer for an exercise program to really show results, though you might start to feel better within a couple of weeks. These folks should congratulate themselves for stopping themselves before a bad habit becomes a significant long term health risk.

2. People 50 lbs or more overweight. These folks have a tougher road, as they need to exercise, cut back on calories, and change what they eat. And, they are often already at some health risk. But, they still need to keep things in perspective. If they need to lose, say, 75 lbs, at least they have things moving in the right direction. In my own case, I was approaching 300 lbs, and the thought of me at 300 lbs scared the hell out of me. I am down to 268, which is still very high, but at least I can see things moving in the right direction. I am exceeding my exercise expectations of just 3 months ago. I can exercise 5 or 6 days a week. I can do spinning classes. At the end of the summer, I went on a 25 mile bike ride. Now, I can actually run on the treadmill. I didn't even picture myself doing that when I started. In May, even a 2 mile walk or a 5 mile bike ride kicked my butt. If you aren't happy where you are now, picture what you will be like by New Years, or next summer.

In my case, I picture myself running 3 miles on the treadmill by Christmas, 5 by March 1. I imagine myself doing a 100 or 150 mile charity bike ride next summer, or maybe running a 10k. Or going to the beach or a public pool shirtless.
  • careyannal
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    You're an inspiration. Slow & steady wins the race!!

Yes you can lose weight really fast by taking extreme measures in your diet or workout routine, but why would you want to make yourself miserable if you can achieve the same results with a more sensible approach. I didn't think that way when I began this "journey" but I know think I have a much more realistic view.

Plus, The longer it takes to lose the weight, the better the chance of it sticking.
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It has taken me 5 years to lose 74 lbs. Some of those pounds I lost 3 or 4 times before I got it through my thick skull.

Moderate diet and exercise. Perfect.

Although, I am never opposed to those who need a little help with pharmaceuticals or surgery. It just depends.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your words. I totally agree!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Inspirational and motivating, thank you! :)