People thinking you're sick after weight loss?

Options

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I was once asked if I lost the weight on purpose. LOL
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My family and friends ask me A LOT if I am on drugs..... I keep tellin em that I am doing EVERYTHING HEALTHY.... no appitite suppresents no magic pill..... just working out and eating right.... so yeah I get this........
  • Danayle
    Danayle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it's a common assumption because maybe more people do lose weight as a result of being sick as opposed to losing the weight to be healthy.
  • Danayle
    Options
    I'm getting a bunch of this since I dropped the weight. In my field as an attorney, clients compare my website pics to whom they see now and ask the question to me personally... in fact, RUMORS about my health are circulating around town I'm learning.

Very odd indeed.

give them a huge big smile and say ' no i've been working out and getting healthy and I FEEL GREAT!" :happy:

I like this.
  • Danayle
    Options
    I started out at 258. When I was around 190, someone told me I looked 'gaunt' No, baby, no one is GAUNT at 190 pounds

find another adjective.

They could be if they were 7 feet tall. : ) I'm guessing that's not your height though.
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    what a compliment?! lol
  • wallacam194
    Options
    I WISH someone would ask me about my weight loss. Down 32 lbs and its as if people are scared to tell someone "you look great!" or "i can tell your losing weight." Why is it so hard to say that to someone?? gahhh. So frustrating!
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    uh-huh! I get asked that alot. My response--NO, just the opposite. I am getting healthier!!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Yup, been asked that several times by family, co-workers, and friends. Even people who knew I'd made some changes in my lifestyle to drop some weight. I just take it as recognition that I've achieved noticeable weight loss. So it's a compliment... Albeit a strange one.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    That happened to me the first time I posted about my weight loss on Facebook.

This happened to me also. Apparently, my family members believe I am terribly ill due to my facebook pic.
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think that the social norm now is for people to be over their ideal weight by about 25 / 30lbs. Too many people now see this as a normal weight, so when someone makes the change and loses that extrea 30lbs and gets back to their ideal weight and they do it in a healthy way. Other people just precieve it as being too thin, looking unhealthy. And its also an excuse from them to justify their own weight issues.

My sister said the same to me after I lost about 22lbs. I told her that I was still overweight by about 15lbs and that my test was standing straight naked, if I looked down and could not see my little fella I was basically still over weight.

Do the healthy thing.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    I WISH someone would ask me about my weight loss. Down 32 lbs and its as if people are scared to tell someone "you look great!" or "i can tell your losing weight." Why is it so hard to say that to someone?? gahhh. So frustrating!

I think a lot of people feel uncomfortable commenting on someone's weight. That's what I experienced anyway - a lot of my acquaintances didn't feel like they could say something because they didn't want to offend me.

On the other hand, my family seems especially determined to play the "oh, you'll get TOO thin if you lose much more weight" game with me. They were all worried and concerned about my weight when I was big, but now that I'm thinner than they are, they're suddenly changing their tune a bit.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have been asked if I have a drug problem. But I live in Corpus Christi where the obesity rate is 30.2%. Being in good shape and health is definitely abnormal in these parts.

I lived in Corpus for many years! I am now in San Antonio where the same issues exist. People have been really good about my weight loss because they know it is deliberate...but I do keep getting comments about getting "too skinny". Funny since I am a loooong way from goal.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In Highschool I lost a lot a weight and rumors started that I was on cocaine. Yea, I wasnt.

when I was in high school i got $10 pocket money a week from my mum. I don't think I could have stretched that to cover a blow habit, even if I gave up lolly snakes!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    my mom asked me if i were making myself throw up the other day :/ wtf

i would have looked my mom dead in the face and said "yes, ma'am" just to see the look on her face.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's rude to ask a friend who lost a bunch of weight if they planed on losing it. I've known enough people who've become sick and lost weight and worse.

The first time I was asked, (years ago) it suprised me but I figured it was asked out of concern.

I don't think it has anything to do with our fat society. If your weight changes drastically in a short amount of time there is a reason for it and the reason can be hard work or illness.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15kg a few years back and my best friend's dad was too scared to comment. eventually when her stepmum said something about my jeans getting a bit saggy in the bum he came out with some comment along the lines of 'I noticed you've lost weight, you look good, but I didn't want to say anything in case you were sick or something'. we all laughed at him, and then bless him, he came out with the most considerate comment of all.. 'well, it's really none of my business if you are sick or if you do just want to lose weight, so I kept my thoughts to myself!'
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've got that several times as well... i don't even LOOK sick.

I'm tempted to just say yes and that's its highly contagious and fatal.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I actually was sick a couple of years ago and lost weight - but was still above my goal weight - so I'm assuming that 'concern' will return as I continue losing.

That said, there's a bunch of research on this in the U.S. - 63% of the population is significantly overweight (and going up) and peoples' perception of what is "normal weight" has been distorted ... so first off many people see "normal" weight as "underweight", when it isn't. Second, as lots of folks have pointed out, graduate loss isn't noticed until it hits some sort of "perceptual threshold" and then it looks like a sudden loss, so people are concerned.

Myself I also wonder if people are also unused to seeing people successfully reduce as a result of choice and hard work that they assume illness rather than conscious change.
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes, Unfortunately I have heard this alot too... These people get this look on their face like I must have Cancer or something:((( To me they say nothing, I guess for fear of saying the wrong thing, but to my husband, they all quiz him on whats wrong with me:( And then say are you sure she is OK? HUMPF! After all this work, its kind of disheartening....So now Im focusing on weights and toning.....Hoping that will make a difference in my appearance.. I just think people are not used to seeing me any other way than fat!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!